Wilford Woodruff's Journal Excerpts

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Wilford Woodruff's Journal Excerpts

Post by iamse7en »

I began reading this book, and it's like a goldmine. So many interesting nuggets. Perhaps I will paste all of the nuggets I find when I am done reading the book.

This book was compiled by Ogden Kraut and is available to read for free here. You can always convert to epub or pdf if that is the format you prefer to read in. Wilford Woodruff's journal is about 9 volumes and over 5000 pages long, so this is perfect for anyone just wanting to read the more interesting portions of his journal. Highly recommended, so far!

slimjamm
captain of 100

Re: Wilford Woodruff's Journal Excerpts

Post by slimjamm »

Thank you for this!

Sariel
captain of 100

Post by Sariel »

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

Finally finished it, and WOW... Everyone must read this. One of the best books I've read in years. Almost every page had a fascinating nugget of history or doctrine. It''s not a long book either. Kraut really did a great job picking out the more interesting portions of his journal. Must have taken him forever. The only thing he left out (because he probably didn't think it meant much at the time) was when WW went to the Bohemian Club [Grove] just before his death. Weird.

Did you know Benjamin Franklin appeared to WW and asked that he and George Washington have their second anointings? Or at least that's what he dreamt, lol. Or that the city of Enoch was in Mexico? Hundreds of funny details like this laced throughout.

What a fantastic book! I could paste all the nuggets I liked, but I don't want to dissuade people from reading this from start to finish. Fun ride.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Magnificent! Thanks!

paradox
Hi, I'm new.

Post by paradox »

Does anyone have a copy of this book available?

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

paradox wrote: August 6th, 2017, 12:00 am Does anyone have a copy of this book available?
Try this link:

http://ogdenkraut.com/?page_id=360

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

iamse7en wrote: May 29th, 2012, 3:44 pm Finally finished it, and WOW... Everyone must read this. One of the best books I've read in years. Almost every page had a fascinating nugget of history or doctrine. It''s not a long book either. Kraut really did a great job picking out the more interesting portions of his journal. Must have taken him forever. The only thing he left out (because he probably didn't think it meant much at the time) was when WW went to the Bohemian Club [Grove] just before his death. Weird.

Did you know Benjamin Franklin appeared to WW and asked that he and George Washington have their second anointings? Or at least that's what he dreamt, lol. Or that the city of Enoch was in Mexico? Hundreds of funny details like this laced throughout.

What a fantastic book! I could paste all the nuggets I liked, but I don't want to dissuade people from reading this from start to finish. Fun ride.
Pangea - the continents as a singular land mass - has a hole where the gulf of Mexico is. The city of Enoch comes down to meet New Jerusalem and the gulf is not that far from the southern border of the New Jerusalem.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Wow, interesting. Actually I've been wanting to pick this up as something to read but I'd not gotten to it. Maybe this is a prompting it will do me some good.

Also, are other journals of past presidents also available out there somewhere?

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

I read this a few years ago. I remember that I liked it. Although, it is clear that it was compiled by a fundamentalist. I wonder how a compilation by some one else would be like. For example, has anyone read Waiting for World's End: The Diaries of Wilford Woodruff? I actually ordered that just last week.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

A compilation with someone without the same set of beliefs will need to be looked through guardedly. Even with some common base you would be surprised how people can get different opinions that are pretty far apart even when they might go to the same stake and wards with same beliefs. Usually if someone has a different background at some point a conflict of interest will (not if) occur.

jmack
captain of 1,000

Post by jmack »

gardener4life wrote: August 6th, 2017, 2:39 pm A compilation with someone without the same set of beliefs will need to be looked through guardedly. Even with some common base you would be surprised how people can get different opinions that are pretty far apart even when they might go to the same stake and wards with same beliefs. Usually if someone has a different background at some point a conflict of interest will (not if) occur.
I agree, I read some of his writings, but one must recognize that he was a polygamist, excommunicated from the church, this does influence his views.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

inho
captain of 1,000

Wilford Woodruff Diaries Available Online

Post by inho »

Church History Library has made the scans of the Wilford Woodruff diaries available online.

That is a big deal. If you wonder why, you can read this blog post: Why It’s a Big Deal that the Wilford Woodruff Diaries are now Available Online