Unbroken

Discuss liberty related books, videos, audio, as well as downloadable resources.
reese
captain of 1,000

Unbroken

Post by reese »

I just finished one of the best books I have read in a long time. It is called UNBROKEN, it is about a WWII vet who was a POW in Japan. Has anyone else read it?

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Re: Unbroken

Post by John Locke »

good as in this should go on my must read list, or good for those who like POW or ww2 books?

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

John Locke wrote:good as in this should go on my must read list, or good for those who like POW or ww2 books?
Good as in I really believe this book teaches a very important principal about sacrifice and the grace of God. I have read A LOT of books in my life, and this is by far one of the best. But maybe thats because of where I am personally right now. It became very clear to me at the end of this book, why God allows us to suffer and what He will give us in return, when we are willing to give the burden created by our suffering over to Him. He really can change us with His grace.
I guess this is so touching to me because for the first time in my life I am understanding and receiving some of that grace myself. I am actually experiencing the terms " no more desire for sin", and "having charity for all men", and "having an eye single to the glory of God", and I know that these things truely are "gifts" from God, we will NEVER be able to create them of ourselves.

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

all that from a POW eh? Is he LDS by chance? Well at any rate you've sold me i'll put it on my list :)

BTW congrats on your rebirth ;) Your partaking of that fruit Lehi so desperately wanted to get into our hands :)

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

John Locke wrote:all that from a POW eh? Is he LDS by chance? Well at any rate you've sold me i'll put it on my list :)

BTW congrats on your rebirth ;) Your partaking of that fruit Lehi so desperately wanted to get into our hands :)

John he is not LDS, that is what is so amazing to me. He is an amazing man. Now, while I am really striving to be "re-born" I don't believe I'm there yet. But I do feel these changes coming over me, and it is amazing(obviously I need to broden my vocabulary :ymblushing: ). Have you read Following the Light of Christ into His presence? Another amazing ;) book.

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

Wow ya actually I'm in the Conclusion of that book right now. Was plannin on posting up a review here in a few minutes when I finish it. Apparently my wording struck a cord :D. I must say I have had a strong desire to get to that rebirth he describes. I feel like I am for the most part doing good, obeying etc etc but I don't feel the guiding hand of the Holy Ghost as pronounced as a lot of people make it seem it is....perhaps thats from a lifetime of ignoring it and I will just have to work up to it. I agree though absolutely amazing book, last two books I've read or 3 rather Snuffers "Second Comforter" one on gifts of the spirit and just finishing "Following the Light of Christ into his Presence." They have really got me fired up to be the best I can.

reese
captain of 1,000

Post by reese »

John Locke wrote:Wow ya actually I'm in the Conclusion of that book right now. Was plannin on posting up a review here in a few minutes when I finish it. Apparently my wording struck a cord :D. I must say I have had a strong desire to get to that rebirth he describes. I feel like I am for the most part doing good, obeying etc etc but I don't feel the guiding hand of the Holy Ghost as pronounced as a lot of people make it seem it is....perhaps thats from a lifetime of ignoring it and I will just have to work up to it. I agree though absolutely amazing book, last two books I've read or 3 rather Snuffers "Second Comforter" one on gifts of the spirit and just finishing "Following the Light of Christ into his Presence." They have really got me fired up to be the best I can.

I'm looking forward to that review. I would like to have a "discussion" about it. I'm about half way through it.

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

reese wrote: I'm looking forward to that review. I would like to have a "discussion" about it. I'm about half way through it.
Ya i'll get the review up before too long I've gotten bogged down reading the thread on "rebirth" that you started...not sure how I missed it before now? :-\