Problem with ads.

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Problem with ads.

Post by markharr »

Let me start off by stating that I have no problem with having ads on the site. As someone who works in IT I get that there are costs associated with running a website and it's nice to make a profit too. I also support your advertisers whenever I can.

The problem seems to be with the new video ads. you can't scroll up or down to read comments because the page keeps centering on the ad. It makes it almost impossible to even use this forum. I have only noticed it recently. Over the past few days.

I am using Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Re: Problem with ads.

Post by Michelle »

markharr wrote: August 1st, 2017, 12:34 pm Let me start off by stating that I have no problem with having ads on the site. As someone who works in IT I get that there are costs associated with running a website and it's nice to make a profit too. I also support your advertisers whenever I can.

The problem seems to be with the new video ads. you can't scroll up or down to read comments because the page keeps centering on the ad. It makes it almost impossible to even use this forum. I have only noticed it recently. Over the past few days.

I'm having the same problem. I am using Google Chrome, but I'm not tech savvy, so that is all I know.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

I can replicate it using Firefox as well. I don't think it's related to the browser.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

I don't have a lick of problems using chrome. My son loaded ABP ad blocker and it makes ALL the difference in the world.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

I second ad blocker

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

I'm opposed to ad blockers. If you are using the service you shouldn't be blocking their revenue source. Either pay for the service or view ads. Do you work for free?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

markharr wrote: August 1st, 2017, 1:42 pm I'm opposed to ad blockers. If you are using the service you shouldn't be blocking their revenue source. Either pay for the service or view ads. Do you work for free?
I agree and I pay $5/mo so am ok with using brave browser.

Prosperity for everyone to include the Creator (of the forum)
Counting since 4/1; 6.66 of 7 years remaining, or thereabouts. Image

jdtech
captain of 100

Post by jdtech »

markharr wrote: August 1st, 2017, 12:34 pm Let me start off by stating that I have no problem with having ads on the site. As someone who works in IT I get that there are costs associated with running a website and it's nice to make a profit too. I also support your advertisers whenever I can.

I sent a note to Brian with the same issue. I haven't installed an ad blocker until now for the reasons you suggested, but the ads are beginning to make the threads unreadable.

This is also an issue with the firefox browser.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I didn't change anything recently about the Ads but for whatever reason there have been a few more complaints about ad behavior recently. I made a change on the Google Adsense account today to see if that improves the experience (blocking certain types of ads - it might take a few hours to take effect).

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Advertisements now cover the top so that notifications is not visible and latest posts and messages cannot be clicked.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Try clearing your browser cache. Or try refreshing the page a few times.

If that doesn't work, can you take a 'screenshot' of what you're seeing and send it to me?
Elizabeth wrote: January 26th, 2018, 8:58 pm Advertisements now cover the top so that notifications is not visible and latest posts and messages cannot be clicked.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

I was going to comment on this too. I can't reach the login button the ad blocks the two most important functions on the site; hitting the latest comments button and the LOGIN button.

IF you can't have anyone login you are screwed.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

gardener4life wrote: January 27th, 2018, 1:47 am I was going to comment on this too. I can't reach the login button the ad blocks the two most important functions on the site; hitting the latest comments button and the LOGIN button.

IF you can't have anyone login you are screwed.
I had the same problem. I was only able to login by quoting gardener4life, which then prompted me to login. The ads at the top are terrible.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

markharr wrote: August 1st, 2017, 1:42 pm I'm opposed to ad blockers. If you are using the service you shouldn't be blocking their revenue source. Either pay for the service or view ads. Do you work for free?

I throughout my life have done a lot of work for free. In fact, a very very very great deal of work for free. I also am doing that now, and will continue to do so into the future.
Any other questions?
dc

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I don't like ads either but running a site like this takes money and time.

I could add an option for people to pay for an add-free experience.. not sure if anyone would be interested in that.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

BrianM wrote: January 27th, 2018, 10:20 am I don't like ads either but running a site like this takes money and time.

I could add an option for people to pay for an add-free experience.. not sure if anyone would be interested in that.
Ads on iPads are blocking the signin line.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Arenera wrote: January 27th, 2018, 10:25 am
BrianM wrote: January 27th, 2018, 10:20 am I don't like ads either but running a site like this takes money and time.

Ads on iPads are blocking the signin line.
I cleared iPad browsing data, the ads are higher now. I use Chrome.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Now, even with the advertisement gone, I am unable to open latest posts and private messages.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

In fact, I no sooner finished my response post to this, and sat down to read a book, when I got a phone call, asking me to go work for someone ... for free. Which I gladly did.
dc

Oh, and the book I am reading, about the building of the Manti Temple was just stating that the building was done without any pay for the workers. Brigham Young said if they ask how much they are to be paid for working on the Temple, building it, they are to be told "Not one dime."
"It is not in keeping with the character of the Saints to make the building of Temples a matter of merchandise."

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

I don't have a problem with ads, I like the site being free (after all, it is the 'freedom forum') and of course you should use Ads to pay for the site--but there's something wrong with these ads recently. Ads should not impede my ability to navigate the website. That should not be happening.

I've developed the same problem as others--the banner up at the top of the page is preventing me from opening my private messages. I'm wondering why this problem seem to have just developed--it has been something I've noticed in the last couple of days. There must be something that was done recently which made this happen.

I also don't like the new format that has lately been showing up at times on my computer and all the time on my phone. I wish there was a way to default back to the old format, but so far, I haven't been able to see how.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

BrianM wrote: August 2nd, 2017, 10:44 am I didn't change anything recently about the Ads but for whatever reason there have been a few more complaints about ad behavior recently. I made a change on the Google Adsense account today to see if that improves the experience (blocking certain types of ads - it might take a few hours to take effect).

It's interesting, I had this same problem back in August. If I was a conspiracy nut job, I'd think it was a government plot. Or the Ads are being manipulated by Russian spies to drive me crazy. :twisted:

In truth, I think it's the Ad companies becoming more aggressive in their attempts to force readers to view their ads. It's like the Ads are screaming, 'LOOK AT ME!!!! LOOOOOOK AAAAAT MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

AI2.0 wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 7:16 am

I don't have a problem with ads, I like the site being free (after all, it is the 'freedom forum') and of course you should use Ads to pay for the site--but there's something wrong with these ads recently. Ads should not impede my ability to navigate the website. That should not be happening.

I've developed the same problem as others--the banner up at the top of the page is preventing me from opening my private messages. I'm wondering why this problem seem to have just developed--it has been something I've noticed in the last couple of days. There must be something that was done recently which made this happen.

I also don't like the new format that has lately been showing up at times on my computer and all the time on my phone. I wish there was a way to default back to the old format, but so far, I haven't been able to see how.
If you clear your cache, so the website calls up a new instance, then the ads at the top don’t interfere with the web site. Once I did that, the latest posts link could be operated... :)

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Problem with ads & providence doth shine upon ldsff

Post by BeNotDeceived »

BeNotDeceived wrote: August 1st, 2017, 3:36 pm
I agree and I pay $5/mo so am ok with using brave browser.

Prosperity for everyone to include the Creator (of the forum)
Counting since 4/1; 6.66 of 7 years remaining, or thereabouts. Image
service@paypal.com wrote:Your card is updated and ready to go

We took care of the details so you don't have to

We removed your old card and added your new card, Visa x-????, to your PayPal account. We did this to make sure the card is ready to use when you need it.

You can log in to PayPal to see the updates, but there's nothing you need to do.

Here's some additional info:

The automatic payments you had set up with the old card will continue to be made with the updated card.
Thanks for using PayPal.
@ 1.5yrs in, PayPal continues my commitment. :lol:

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

This issue has probably been fixed, but in case it hasn't, the way I log in is that I've bookmarked the page with my posts in it. Every time I click on that, I get a log-in window (along with a notice saying I can't view my posts without being logged in). It's a great way to log in (and I started doing that because I couldn't log in any other way; I forget the particular issue now. Possibly something like what this thread is about).