Problem with ads.

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
markharr
captain of 1,000

Problem with ads.

Postby markharr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:34 am

Let me start off by stating that I have no problem with having ads on the site. As someone who works in IT I get that there are costs associated with running a website and it's nice to make a profit too. I also support your advertisers whenever I can.

The problem seems to be with the new video ads. you can't scroll up or down to read comments because the page keeps centering on the ad. It makes it almost impossible to even use this forum. I have only noticed it recently. Over the past few days.

I am using Chrome Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

Medical Cost Sharing - It's not insurance it's better!

Michelle
captain of 100

Re: Problem with ads.

Postby Michelle » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:49 am

markharr wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:34 am
Let me start off by stating that I have no problem with having ads on the site. As someone who works in IT I get that there are costs associated with running a website and it's nice to make a profit too. I also support your advertisers whenever I can.

The problem seems to be with the new video ads. you can't scroll up or down to read comments because the page keeps centering on the ad. It makes it almost impossible to even use this forum. I have only noticed it recently. Over the past few days.

I'm having the same problem. I am using Google Chrome, but I'm not tech savvy, so that is all I know.

markharr
captain of 1,000

Postby markharr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:03 pm

I can replicate it using Firefox as well. I don't think it's related to the browser.

kittycat51
captain of 100

Postby kittycat51 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:28 pm

I don't have a lick of problems using chrome. My son loaded ABP ad blocker and it makes ALL the difference in the world.
'You'll never medicate your way out of diseases you behave yourself into" ~Dr. Roby Mitchell

MMbelieve
captain of 100

Postby MMbelieve » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:39 pm

I second ad blocker

markharr
captain of 1,000

Postby markharr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm opposed to ad blockers. If you are using the service you shouldn't be blocking their revenue source. Either pay for the service or view ads. Do you work for free?

BeNotDeceived
captain of 100

Postby BeNotDeceived » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:36 pm

markharr wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:42 pm
I'm opposed to ad blockers. If you are using the service you shouldn't be blocking their revenue source. Either pay for the service or view ads. Do you work for free?
I agree and I pay $5/mo so am ok with using brave browser.

Prosperity for everyone to include the Creator (of the forum)
Counting since 4/1; 6.66 of 7 years remaining, or thereabouts. Image
Proof is the antithesis of faith. It’s often what you don’t say, that makes the greater statement. Not all truth is provable.

Thank God I'm only watching the game, controlling it. — Chess

jdtech
captain of 100

Postby jdtech » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:47 pm

markharr wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:34 am

I sent a note to Brian with the same issue. I haven't installed an ad blocker until now for the reasons you suggested, but the ads are beginning to make the threads unreadable.

This is also an issue with the firefox browser.
To fear the future is to not live in the present. Rather, let us prepare for the future and find joy in the present.

BrianM
The Creator (of the forum)

Postby BrianM » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:44 am

I didn't change anything recently about the Ads but for whatever reason there have been a few more complaints about ad behavior recently. I made a change on the Google Adsense account today to see if that improves the experience (blocking certain types of ads - it might take a few hours to take effect).
All my opinions are tentative pending further data...

The Matrix is real...

Return to “Ideas/Suggestions for the Forum (or, Need Help?)”