How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Re: ...

Post by A Random Phrase »

No offense to the opening poster (who apparently got ticked off and left), but this thread is hilarious.

Regina, I can commiserate. Not only on this site, but all over the internet, there is atrocious spelling and grammar. Some of it is because of nonnative speakers (Google translate), but most of it is not. "Effect" for "affect," is one of about a hundred examples possible to give.

It doesn't help that the rules for comma usage is changing (I prefer the old way for most of it). Pretty much, I do what I want, write how I please, since there seems to be total grammar anarchy nowadays. (I'm serious, guys.)

Anyway, I've learned to let it slide. People will be people, after all.

WarMonger
captain of 100

Post by WarMonger »

I reeeelyy on AI (artificial intelligencee) to corretly fix my grammor - if it is ticked off, I am muchly stuffed.
It don;t mstter as it is jsut communication adn understandeable to the unlearnered like me.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

:)) You really need to update your AI.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Some quotes from "Eats, Shoots and Leaves," by Lynne Truss.
Grammatical sticklers are the worst people for finding common cause because it is in their nature (obviously) to pick holes in everyone, even their best friends. Honestly, what an annoying bunch of people.
page xix [Ms Truss is a grammatical stickler, btw.]
A child sitting in a County Schools exam in 1937 would be asked to punctuate the following puzzler: "Charles the First walked and talked half an hour after his head was cut off."
page 13

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Be a nuisance. Do something. And if possible use a bright red pen. Send back emails that are badly punctuated; return letters; picket Harrods. Who cares if members of your family abhor your Inner Stickler and devoutly wish you had an Inner Scooby-Doo instead? At least if you adopt a zero tolerance approach, when you next see a banner advertising "CD's, DVD's, Video's, and Book's", you won't just stay indoors getting depressed about it. Instead you will engage in some direct action ....
page 29
Note: the grammar and punctuation in the book is English - even in the version for Americans (it points that out in the front of the book).

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

The fun of commas is of course the semantic havoc they can create when either wrongly inserted ("What is this thing called, love?") or carelessly omitted ("He shot himself as a child").*

*He shot, himself, as a child.
page 82
Last edited by A Random Phrase on March 4th, 2015, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Take the example, "The Highland Terrier is the cutest, and perhaps the best of all dog species." Sensitive people trained to listen for the second comma (after "best") find themselves quite stranded by that kind of thing. they feel cheated and giddy. In very bad cases, they fall over.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

A Random Phrase wrote:
A child sitting in a County Schools exam in 1937 would be asked to punctuate the following puzzler: "Charles the First walked and talked half an hour after his head was cut off."
page 13

The answer, for those who haven't figured it out (or don't want to bother figuring it out):

Charles the First walked and talked. Half an hour after, his head was cut off.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

WarMonger wrote:I reeeelyy on AI (artificial intelligencee) to corretly fix my grammor - if it is ticked off, I am muchly stuffed.
It don;t mstter as it is jsut communication adn understandeable to the unlearnered like me.
Spill chick works grate. It all ways spills reel words. Its only if the litters make up nun words that won ever has a problem with spill chick. Ups. My bed. I mean it catches nonwords and corrects them. All other words oar good two go.