Pop-Ups - Never Mind, I think it's fixed.

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Pop-Ups - Never Mind, I think it's fixed.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Several times in the last couple of days, when I have clicked on a thread, a window pops up - the kind that tries to sell you something and often has a virus or is a scam. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Last edited by A Random Phrase on January 9th, 2015, 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Re: Pop-Ups - Scam? Virus on LDSFF?

It just barely happened again when I clicked "submit" for a comment to "Name a genius with each intelligence type." (I have scanned my computer twice in detail and get the result that there is nothing on it. It has to be on the forum, because it happens when I click "submit" or click on a thread so I can look at it.) But, it's randomly happening. It doesn't happen on any other site I've visited.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

And yet again: Good housekeeping and skin care. Again, it was when I hit "submit."

FSM
captain of 100

Post by FSM »

I don't get pop up's. But I'm on a cell phone. What strikes me as odd is the adds. There are the really cute girls that appear in the adds. They look like their in prison attire. Have you ever seen this?

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Again, but this time when I opened a tab to read a thread.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

FSM wrote:I don't get pop up's. But I'm on a cell phone. What strikes me as odd is the adds. There are the really cute girls that appear in the adds. They look like their in prison attire. Have you ever seen this?
I've not seen that particular ad, no.

I've never gotten pop-ups on my phone. Perhaps there is not the capability.

Ads are usually tailor-made. The internet spies read the sites you visit and the words in the forums you post in. Being robots, they search for certain words. You could be in a discussion and everyone could say how intensely they dislike a certain subject, but then the ad shows you that thing as if you have been wanting it. It doesn't know that you were against it or desiring it, only that the word was mentioned.

FSM
captain of 100

Post by FSM »

A Random Phrase wrote:
FSM wrote:I don't get pop up's. But I'm on a cell phone. What strikes me as odd is the adds. There are the really cute girls that appear in the adds. They look like their in prison attire. Have you ever seen this?
I've not seen that particular ad, no.

I've never gotten pop-ups on my phone. Perhaps there is not the capability.

Ads are usually tailor-made. The internet spies read the sites you visit and the words in the forums you post in. Being robots, they search for certain words. You could be in a discussion and everyone could say how intensely they dislike a certain subject, but then the ad shows you that thing as if you have been wanting it. It doesn't know that you were against it or desiring it, only that the word was mentioned.
that is interesting. Really I'm not kidding there are more adds appearing with cute girls. I couldn't help myself so I clicked on one and it was a web site offering to do a background search on someone for you. So do you think that no one else sees the adds but me?

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

If you put a name into a search engine at some point in time, it might think you are interested in background checks. That has happened to me before.

The ads are tailor-made. We've had a couple of discussions about that before. All of us looking at the same thread, but none of the ads are the same.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Totally crazy, I just clicked "submit" for this thread. After it submitted, it did it again! The page turned into a "health and wellness" page and a video began to play. I think it was an Oprah Winfrey show. (I don't stay on unwanted, unasked for pages any longer than I have to.) There was no more LDSFF. (When it does it when I click on a thread in a list of threads, it just pops up an extra window because the thread also comes up. Technically not a "pop-up" because it opens it in a new tab.)

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

A Random Phrase wrote:Totally crazy, I just clicked "submit" for this thread. After it submitted, it did it again! The page turned into a "health and wellness" page and a video began to play. I think it was an Oprah Winfrey show. (I don't stay on unwanted, unasked for pages any longer than I have to.) There was no more LDSFF. (When it does it when I click on a thread in a list of threads, it just pops up an extra window because the thread also comes up. Technically not a "pop-up" because it opens it in a new tab.)
ARP - This has happened to me a couple of times. I always assumed I accidentally hit the touch screen on my phone and got the ad.

FSM - I've seen the roadkill t shirt ad's... is that what you mean? I think the t-shirts they feature are funny as all get out.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I thought that at first, but it soon became obvious that I was not doing that (I'm on my computer today - and yesterday).

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Interesting. I opened a series of tabs just before I posted above. After I posted here, I looked at the tabs and one of them was that crap. I went to it and saw that, this time, I could push the back arrow. I did so. Three times. Each time, it went right back to the ad - a different one each time. The fourth time, it stayed on the thread ("Name a Genius with each intelligence type").

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

I will tentatively say it is better.

Deleting super cookies didn't help. I deleted regular cookies, then changed my settings to refuse to accept third-party cookies. So far, nothing.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Pop-Ups - Never Mind, I think it's fixed.

Post by Elizabeth »

Yes, it is so annoying :(
A Random Phrase wrote:Several times in the last couple of days, when I have clicked on a thread, a window pops up - the kind that tries to sell you something and often has a virus or is a scam. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

Just started happening to me today! How did you fix it?

Phoenixstar117
captain of 100

Post by Phoenixstar117 »

This has happened to me a few times the past few days, instead of a popup though, it just takes me to a different page, trying to sell me a magazine or a beauty creme or something.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

Yes that^ Lots of Oprah, Dr.Oz, and Ellen. It only happens when I'm on this site.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Hmmm... there's a new update to the forum software that this forum is running on.. I better get that done soon - will most likely make that issue go away if it is in fact related to the forum.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Phoenixstar117 wrote:This has happened to me a few times the past few days, instead of a popup though, it just takes me to a different page, trying to sell me a magazine or a beauty creme or something.
Yes. I disallow pop-ups so it opened in a new tab.

Cookies wrote:Yes that^ Lots of Oprah, Dr.Oz, and Ellen. It only happens when I'm on this site.
Same here.

Cookies wrote:Just started happening to me today! How did you fix it?
I deleted all the cookies, then disallowed third-party cookies. Later, I allowed third-party cookies only from sites visited. I have Firefox as a browser (some have Internet Explorer and some have Google Chrome. Finding cookies would be different on those browsers). Here is how I did it:

Click on "Tools" at the top of the page.

Click on "Options" from the drop-down list.

Click on "Privacy" tab.

There, one can choose to always allow third party cookies, allow them only from sites visited, or not allow them at all.

There is also a "Show Cookies" button. Click on that and you will see a list of cookies on your computer.

At the bottom, you will see a button that says, "Remove all cookies." Warning* If you click on that, you will be logged out of the sites you are logged into unless they have a way of immediately putting the cookies back on your computer.

Again, those are instructions for the Firefox browser. The other browsers have made it more difficult to do this. That is one reason I like Firefox best. It is more user-friendly.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Did you happen to be looking at the thread "My Picture Beats Your Picture"?

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Yes, I did ... for the first time in quite a while.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

That pop-up thing happened to me when I looked at that picture thread... it could have very well been directly related to one of the pictures.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

That makes sense. I haven't had a problem since I deleted cookies and removed third-party permission, but I have not returned to that thread since then, either (hence, would not have gotten re-infected).

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

I didn't do anything and I haven't had problems with it today. Weird.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Cookies wrote:I didn't do anything and I haven't had problems with it today. Weird.
Maybe your cookies automatically delete every time you close your browser?