Help Wanted: LDSFF Moderators Needed

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
creator
(of the Forum)

Help Wanted: LDSFF Moderators Needed

Post by creator »

Okay people here's the deal...

There are some who complain of unfair or biased moderation on LDSFF.. for all kinds of various reasons. Some even complain of 'apostates' or 'anti-Mormons' on LDSFF. It is fully my intent that LDSFF be a pro-LDS/Mormon discussion forum. This thread is not to discuss the complaints but to discuss solutions, specifically the future moderation of LDSFF.

Some decisions have been made that some moderators on the forum will be moderators over only the private "Heavenly Gift" area of the forum and that we will attempt to find some additional new moderators for the public area of the forum.

Now is your chance to suggest who you would like to have as moderators of LDSFF. Now is your chance to get beyond the complaining and actually offer up solutions. Please suggest anyone you have in mind or step forward and volunteer. I will take into consideration those who have demonstrated that they are peacemakers and not those who are inclined to stir up contention. Also, we need moderators who have at least some level of commitment to making this forum a better place. If you care about this forum and the success of the community and friendship that exists on this forum please give this some consideration. You are welcome to send me a private message to discuss this or just post your suggestions in this thread.

There are some established guidelines for moderators on this forum, here is an excerpt from those guidelines:
Moderator's should not participate in "baiting". In other words, moderator's should avoid causing contention and other problems which could then result in retaliation and inappropriate behavior of other forum members.

Moderator's should be peacekeepers. As moderator's we should do our best to set a good example, be respectful, tactful and diplomatic in our participation in forum discussions - and especially when communicating with others in your role as a moderator.
So, let's see where this goes...

North_Star
captain of 100

Re: Help Wanted: LDSFF Moderators Needed

Post by North_Star »

I nominate Random Phrase. I think Toni would make a wonderful moderator. She may not be interested....or have the time....just posting out loud :D

I also think Jeremy or Angelina would be good moderators. jmo.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

Been there...done that! Wouldn't want to repeat the experience.

I gave up long ago on this site being pro-LDS. Myriad examples abound including direct moderation to that end from past/present moderators...

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

AGstacker

Would
Be
The
Best
Possible
Mod

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rockwood
captain of 50

Post by rockwood »

I think Original_Intent would do a great job, if he wants it ;)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

rockwood wrote:I think Original_Intent would do a great job, if he wants it ;)
I second that one. I think it would be interesting to get a bunch of volunteers and do a one or two month rotation. It's not easy being a mod. But everyone does like to get on here and spend hours in discussions, not that anything is wrong with it. But why not help out if you spend a lot of time on here anyway?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

NO. While I think I try to see both sides of the DS/Brethrenite divide, I am way too provocative to moderate. But thanks.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

wompus

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Thanks for the comments so far.. If I don't respond to everything soon it's because I'm busy with other things..

One thing to keep in mind is that there will likely be a separation in regards to who are the moderators of the public area of the forum vs who are the moderators of the HG private area of the forum. Sometimes those two "groups" tend to clash and so in seeking additional moderators I am hoping for more suggestions of people who aren't part of the HG area as moderators for the public forum area. Jules will be assisting more in the HG forum and considering other possible moderators for that area. This should help with the claims of biased and unfair moderation.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Even newbies with fresh eyes and level heads. I like JohnW. He seems fair in his posts.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

sen6b wrote:Maybe You should have mods on both sides of the issue. The snuffer mod can keep the Brethrenites in line and vise versa. Just a thought. :)
Yes, a non Snuffer would be a wonderful idea to even things up even if it's just barely. Other past mods like Jason and chelC saw the one sided hypocrisy and backed out or left completely.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

shadow wrote:Yes, a non Snuffer would be a wonderful idea to even things up even if it's just barely.
Looking for multiple.

Suggestions? Nominations?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

BrianM wrote:
shadow wrote:Yes, a non Snuffer would be a wonderful idea to even things up even if it's just barely.
Looking for multiple.

Bob. Hes got nothin else to do B-)

DPeterson
captain of 100

Post by DPeterson »

jbalm wrote:wompus
no

DPeterson
captain of 100

Post by DPeterson »

shadow wrote:
BrianM wrote:
Looking for multiple.

Bob. Hes got nothin else to do B-)
=))

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

kathyn, lundbaek, Dr. Jones, mes5464. I think they all lean Brethrenite but also would be fair and not stifle any opinions.

There are numerous others that would do a fine job.

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

DPeterson wrote:
jbalm wrote:wompus
no
:D

rockwood
captain of 50

Post by rockwood »

coachmarc wrote: I think it would be interesting to get a bunch of volunteers and do a one or two month rotation.
Another forum that I've been on for many years does this. There are 7 moderators (not including the mayor) on that forum that take turns so they get a break and don't get burned out.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

rockwood wrote:
coachmarc wrote: I think it would be interesting to get a bunch of volunteers and do a one or two month rotation.
Another forum that I've been on for many years does this. There are 7 moderators (not including the mayor) on that forum that take turns so they get a break and don't get burned out.
Come folks. Step up, please!

OneEternalRound
captain of 50

Post by OneEternalRound »

Do you guys have to go into the source code to moderate? I'd hope not. :)

I think thats a good idea Marc.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

OneEternalRound wrote:Do you guys have to go into the source code to moderate? I'd hope not. :)

I think thats a good idea Marc.
Source code? don't know what that is. You just gain access to mod tools like locking topics, moving topics, merging topics, issuing warnings, seeing who's online, invisible, etc.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

I don't know if LDSFF can be salvaged as a LDS oriented site. The pro denver group has over run the general forum and since Denver's last talk the intensity will increase, and it will become a site for Communitized proselyting.

Those that the HG group call TBMs probably won't be interested in hanging around very long. I think Tim Malone's site has lost TBMS traffic, com mentors are almost gone.

hyloglyph
captain of 1,000

Post by hyloglyph »

AGstacker

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

shadow wrote:
sen6b wrote:Maybe You should have mods on both sides of the issue. The snuffer mod can keep the Brethrenites in line and vise versa. Just a thought. :)
Yes, a non Snuffer would be a wonderful idea to even things up even if it's just barely. Other past mods like Jason and chelC saw the one sided hypocrisy and backed out or left completely.
A good mod on this forum moderates whether they agree with the situation or not. That means you moderate your own friends who are breaking the rules, and you moderate those you agree with who are breaking the rules. As a moderator, you commit to uphold the forum rules whether you agree with the rules or not. You respect that this is Brian's place, and you do things according to the way he wants them done, not your own personal preference. It also means you tolerate all the abuse you get from people who think you are being unfair and "satanic" - and from those who think you are victimizing them and not moderating others who break the rules.

Sorry Jason and ChelC couldn't handle it.