LOSS OF WRITTEN DATA WHILE COMPOSING

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

LOSS OF WRITTEN DATA WHILE COMPOSING

Post by freedomforall »

Am I the only one? I start to write a new entry, or a new topic and somehow I hit the wrong key and all of my writing vanishes. It's maddening to say the least.

There needs to be a way to recover lost data, or a secondary window that similtaneously writes the composed messege so that it can be copied and pasted back into the original window, if lost. Then one doesn't have to start over. Feelings, emotions and ideas can be lost trying to rewrite everything.

WHAT CAN BE DONE?

loquaciousmomma
captain of 100

Re: LOSS OF WRITTEN DATA WHILE COMPOSING

Post by loquaciousmomma »

Periodically highlight all that you have written so far and hit control-c, then if it disappears you will be able to do a control-v and put it right back. :)

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

What lqmomma said - or type what you want to say as a word doc, and then cut and paste it over to the forum when you're done and ready to hit 'submit'.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

freedomfighter wrote:WHAT CAN BE DONE?
notepad, wordpad, word, etc.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Maybe you need to think twice about posting that thought. That is how I take it when that happens. Accidents never happen.

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

Rand wrote:Maybe you need to think twice about posting that thought. That is how I take it when that happens. Accidents never happen.
oh give me a break! This has happened to me more times than I can say, it is always frustrating, especially when my thoughts are flowing. I was wondering the same thing myself and occasionally have used MW to compose, copy and paste. Sometimes I just copy my work over and over until I am done so I don't lose my thoughts. I have tried to notice a pattern, the only thing I notice is that it always happens when I quote someone and then hit the "enter" button. Does not happen when I don't quote anyone or when I copy and paste a quote from someone.

pritchet1
captain of 1,000

Post by pritchet1 »

What computer, keyboard and operating system are you using? Wireless or wired? Portable or workstation? Ipad or smart phone?

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

LOL Thanks Brian

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Rand wrote:Maybe you need to think twice about posting that thought. That is how I take it when that happens. Accidents never happen.
Yah, especially when all you're saying is thank you to another poster. Or is wanting to thank someone a bad omen?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Thanks everyone. My mind gridlocks on occasion and I don't know what to do, so....now I have some tools when and before this happens.

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

HeirofNumenor wrote:
LOL Thanks Brian

=)) hahaha Thanks for the laugh ;)

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

freedomfighter wrote:Am I the only one? I start to write a new entry, or a new topic and somehow I hit the wrong key and all of my writing vanishes. It's maddening to say the least.
It's happened to me a few times... but I simply hit the "back" button and my text is still there.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

BrianM wrote:
freedomfighter wrote:Am I the only one? I start to write a new entry, or a new topic and somehow I hit the wrong key and all of my writing vanishes. It's maddening to say the least.
It's happened to me a few times... but I simply hit the "back" button and my text is still there.
I need to try this.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

freedomfighter wrote:
BrianM wrote:
I need to try this.

If you hit the back button and get a "web page has expired" page, try hitting the refresh button and then hit the non-cancel button )seems like it was 'resend' or similar).

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

I'll watch for that OI.

linj2fly
captain of 1,000

Post by linj2fly »

Songbird wrote:
oh give me a break! This has happened to me more times than I can say, it is always frustrating, especially when my thoughts are flowing. I was wondering the same thing myself and occasionally have used MW to compose, copy and paste. Sometimes I just copy my work over and over until I am done so I don't lose my thoughts. I have tried to notice a pattern, the only thing I notice is that it always happens when I quote someone and then hit the "enter" button. Does not happen when I don't quote anyone or when I copy and paste a quote from someone.
This is happening to me, too. I'll be in the middle of composing something, and hit 'enter' to start a new paragraph, and the 'post a reply' page RELOADS a BLANK text box. Frustrating. I've been trying to remember to copy before I hit enter, but I'd like to know if there is a 'fix' for this problem. Thanks!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

linj2fly wrote:
Songbird wrote:
This is happening to me, too. I'll be in the middle of composing something, and hit 'enter' to start a new paragraph, and the 'post a reply' page RELOADS a BLANK text box. Frustrating. I've been trying to remember to copy before I hit enter, but I'd like to know if there is a 'fix' for this problem. Thanks!
Try hitting the "back" button. Sometimes I have lost data after hitting the wrong button. Then I hit the back button and there it is. Works most the time. Perhaps your problem is a different type. I don't know about the pasting of previous posters quotes in between paragraphs.

I don't know if this is helpful or not.

linj2fly
captain of 1,000

Post by linj2fly »

I've tried the back button to no avail....I'm on a mac. Don't know if that makes a difference.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

linj2fly wrote:I've tried the back button to no avail....I'm on a mac. Don't know if that makes a difference.
Here is a long shot. When you lose a page go to your history folder and see if it is saved there. Everything is saved there for future reference until it is purposely deleted. I've not tried this, but I just now thought it would be worth a try. It could also be saved in the internet files folder someplace. I'm not a computer whiz, but I have done this on occasion.

linj2fly
captain of 1,000

Post by linj2fly »

freedomfighter wrote:
linj2fly wrote:I've tried the back button to no avail....I'm on a mac. Don't know if that makes a difference.
Here is a long shot. When you lose a page go to your history folder and see if it is saved there. Everything is saved there for future reference until it is purposely deleted. I've not tried this, but I just now thought it would be worth a try. It could also be saved in the internet files folder someplace. I'm not a computer whiz, but I have done this on occasion.
great idea--thanks!

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Whenever I post a comment that is somewhat lengthy I usually type it up first in 'notepad' or some other kind of word processor... then I just copy/paste it into the forum.

The few times I've had that problem where I'm typing something up and then lose it, by pushing the wrong button or whatever, I usually recover it by pushing the back button.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Install the "Lazarus" add-on to your internet browser.

Zkulptor
captain of 100

Post by Zkulptor »

Hit back button, your text will be there ;)

Thomas
captain of 1,000

Post by Thomas »

I've lost posts while submiting them. It seems that if someone else is trying to post at that same time you are, it doesn't post quickly and comes back empty. Back button will not retrieve it. Now when I notice the submit doesn't go promptly, I hurry and copy the post. I will open a new window and go to the same thread. I will wait for the other persons' post to show up and paste my post, then submit.

This has saved it a few times.