Using quotes...

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
Teancum-Old
captain of 100

Using quotes...

Post by Teancum-Old »

I cannot figure out how to use the quote function properly when posting. When I use quote, I copy and paste the information I want from someone else's post. I do this with the expectation that when it posts, my post will say: "So-and-so said:". But mine does not do this like everyone else's. Mine simply says "Quote:". What function is used to get the "So-and-so said:"?

ChelC
The Law

Re: Using quotes...

Post by ChelC »

Take the portion you've quoted, highlight it, and then click on quote. That's how it works for me anyway.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Wait I'm confusing myself, just click quote at the bottom of their post and delete the info you don't want. The highlighting mentioned will put it in a quote box, but if you want their name you have to use the quote button on their post.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Teancum wrote:I cannot figure out how to use the quote function properly when posting. When I use quote, I copy and paste the information I want from someone else's post. I do this with the expectation that when it posts, my post will say: "So-and-so said:". But mine does not do this like everyone else's. Mine simply says "Quote:". What function is used to get the "So-and-so said:"?
If you click the quote button instead of reply it will automatically add 'so and so said'... do that and you'll see an example of how the code works.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Is there any way to do a multi-quote?

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Post by A Random Phrase »

Teancum wrote:I cannot figure out how to use the quote function properly when posting. When I use quote, I copy and paste the information I want from someone else's post. I do this with the expectation that when it posts, my post will say: "So-and-so said:". But mine does not do this like everyone else's. Mine simply says "Quote:". What function is used to get the "So-and-so said:"?
brackets around the following, at the beginning: quote="Teancum" and around the /quote at the end. So, (without the spaces) [ quote = "Teancum" ] at the beginning and [ / quote ] at the end.

Bringer of Joy, I have never seen a multi-quote option. What I have done is used the above formula. When you click on "post reply" and the new page comes up, the conversation (thread) is below the box you type in. If you scroll through it, you can highlight, then copy, then paste into the reply box, using the formula above.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Like this:
Teancum wrote:boo!
BringerOfJoy wrote:yes
Alphabet Soup wrote: okay, this one had a space between alphabet and soup

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

Thanks, ARPh:
Once I brought up your post as a quote, I could see exactly what you were doing.

A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ

Glad I could help. It can get really confusing, I know.