Hello

Tell us about yourself...
nancyvinci92
captain of 10

Hello

Post by nancyvinci92 »

Idk if I did this before or not.

Sorry if I did. Please delete this then.

I'm from CA.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Hello

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Reminds me of Bob Image

A turtle made from half a coconut; boy did I get scoldings for buying him.

Turns out he became our favorite souvenir after a couple years, of making him bob his head. :lol:

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

:) Welcome

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Hello, Nancy! Welcome! I look forward to reading your posts.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Welcome! What part of California? You are not in any of the awful fire areas are you? (I have a son who served a mission in the Fresno area :) )

oklds
captain of 100

New member trying to become an old member...

Post by oklds »

Got a kinda serious question here. I've been member just over 4 years; Temple Endowed since September 2016. I've noticed amazing changes in the way I think and act, and others have seen same things. However, it bothers me that I still have some 'lurking defects' that I'm wondering if maybe a Melchizedek Priesthood should not have. A couple examples:

I still see stuff like old episodes of 'Married, with Children' and think they're funny, and I'm pretty sure most Church members don't even know what that is.

I listen to music with lyrics that the Missionaries don't want to hear at all ("Meat Loaf", etc.) and up until very recently, I didn't see a problem with that.

The few members of my Ward that I've asked about this say I'm worrying over nothing. One of my lifer friends told me that, "The LDS Church is sorta bland sometimes anyway. Just think of yourself as the pepper in the mashed potatoes." Sounds cute, but I really want to be more like the lifers who have never had most of the experiences I have, and are therefore not as jaded as maybe I am. I know with my background, I am never going to be mistaken for a Church 'lifer', but that is, nevertheless, my goal.

Any other new members (couple years or so) that have had this type of experiences? What's your solution?

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

It's a great goal to want to be better than you are, because we all have room for improvement. I grew up in the Church and remember Married with Children, although that was one show my parents didn't let us watch, but I listened to tons of music as a teenager that I now realize was mostly sexual in nature, or at the very least spirit numbing. I was involved with dance and cheer which involved doing things that were immodest, and again the music and dancing was not something God would approve of. I have come to a point where I have no desire for any of that anymore. I watched tons of TV and movies, because that's what my family did, but now with my own family, we don't watch TV and only good movies occasionally.

Some people want to stay with their comfort pleasures, be it music, TV shows, movies, dance, or sports. But some want to move on to better things that help them feel the divine more in their life. Soon they have no more desire for those things. Now I only listen to hymns or lyrical stuff and stay away from anything that gets me thinking about something I shouldn't. Can you remember the Savior like you covenanted to do while listening or watching something? If not then maybe it's time to move on to purer things. Good for you for not wanting to settle. But don't worry about what others think of you in the Church. Most life-time members have issues that aren't so visible. It's what God thinks of you that counts.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Re: New member trying to become an old member...

Post by Rand »

oklds wrote: December 30th, 2017, 6:24 pm Got a kinda serious question here. I've been member just over 4 years; Temple Endowed since September 2016. I've noticed amazing changes in the way I think and act, and others have seen same things. However, it bothers me that I still have some 'lurking defects' that I'm wondering if maybe a Melchizedek Priesthood should not have. A couple examples:

I still see stuff like old episodes of 'Married, with Children' and think they're funny, and I'm pretty sure most Church members don't even know what that is.

I listen to music with lyrics that the Missionaries don't want to hear at all ("Meat Loaf", etc.) and up until very recently, I didn't see a problem with that.

The few members of my Ward that I've asked about this say I'm worrying over nothing. One of my lifer friends told me that, "The LDS Church is sorta bland sometimes anyway. Just think of yourself as the pepper in the mashed potatoes." Sounds cute, but I really want to be more like the lifers who have never had most of the experiences I have, and are therefore not as jaded as maybe I am. I know with my background, I am never going to be mistaken for a Church 'lifer', but that is, nevertheless, my goal.

Any other new members (couple years or so) that have had this type of experiences? What's your solution?
I would say don't beat yourself up, but don't allow yourself to stay the same. Attend the Temple more regularly, and you won't have time nor the inclination to watch Married with Children. Pray regularly as to who you can serve and reach out to help and then respond when the spirit prompts. Appreciate your honesty and forthrightness. Keep growing!

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

I think Married with Children is funny. What's funny also is when we were kids Dad would get upset when we watched it and now it's considered tame compared to everything else out there.

Most people really are working on things still. If that's what you are still working on then you are probably doing better than a lot of people.

I do like to listen to church hymns though. But a lot of people will listen to both things in the same day. Also some people do need to do things to unwind and calm down when they come home from work, be it throw darts, watch TV (for short time), or chase their kids with a spatula. (OK that last one was kidding.)

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Re: New member trying to become an old member...

Post by Alaris »

Rand wrote: December 30th, 2017, 7:13 pm
oklds wrote: December 30th, 2017, 6:24 pm Got a kinda serious question here. I've been member just over 4 years; Temple Endowed since September 2016. I've noticed amazing changes in the way I think and act, and others have seen same things. However, it bothers me that I still have some 'lurking defects' that I'm wondering if maybe a Melchizedek Priesthood should not have. A couple examples:

I would say don't beat yourself up, but don't allow yourself to stay the same. Attend the Temple more regularly, and you won't have time nor the inclination to watch Married with Children. Pray regularly as to who you can serve and reach out to help and then respond when the spirit prompts. Appreciate your honesty and forthrightness. Keep growing!
Recognition is the first step after all!

oklds
captain of 100

Post by oklds »

gardener4life wrote: December 30th, 2017, 11:50 pm I think Married with Children is funny. What's funny also is when we were kids Dad would get upset when we watched it and now it's considered tame compared to everything else out there.

Most people really are working on things still. If that's what you are still working on then you are probably doing better than a lot of people.

I do like to listen to church hymns though. But a lot of people will listen to both things in the same day. Also some people do need to do things to unwind and calm down when they come home from work, be it throw darts, watch TV (for short time), or chase their kids with a spatula. (OK that last one was kidding.)
Seems like everything our parents used to berate us for is now blase, and what used to be vile is now run-of-the-mill tacky. Kinda sad, really, that we have drifted so far off in only a couple of generations.

Among the many character defects I forgot to mention was going off into tirades on tractor, tools, etc. when something goes wrong. I'm almost positive the number of profanities coming from my mouth exceeds the rest of the Ward put together. Doesn't bother me so much, but I just know that if neighbors heard it, they certainly wouldn't think much of my 'Sonday Best'. Sorta like I'm giving the product a bad name. That's gone down a LOT, but still there.

My attitudes towards life in general is not real empathic either; I was a machine-gunner in combat and a drunk for 20+ years. That and several experiences with the death of my first Wife and Child, and that of several friends, has hardened me a lot. I've gotten over that and been sober for over 22 years, but it's led to more than one instance of shocking some lifer's sensibilities without meaning to. THAT's what I want to get past; Not so much because they disturb me, but because they cause me to disturb other people, even when I don't mean to and certainly don't want to.

No TV, and darts is the last thing I should throw around when I get off work. LOL
BTW, I personally use one of those paint-stirrer sticks from the hardware store. They sting a little, make a nice loud 'Whack" sound, and they're made out of balsa wood, so no amount of force can actually cause any real damage. I'm not much good at the spanking thing anyway. I was over 50 when I spanked my Children (from Wife's first Marriage) for the first time, and they laughed at me and told me I wasn't doing it right because it didn't hurt. After my Son got to be a teenager, I got a lot more proficient at it, but still don't like it.