This Christmas

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
SPIRIT
Level 34 Illuminated

This Christmas

Post by SPIRIT »

just something I wrote many years ago

This Christmas

As Christmas is coming again this year, I have to stop and think,
"why with the thought of Christmas comes the thought of buying things and spending money ?"
"Buying things we don’t really need and spending more money than we have,
indulging ourselves with luxuries."
How we can be so spoiled in this country while others, even right around us, suffer ?
Many are alone with no family, going without food, clothing or a place to sleep.

As I thought about this for awhile, I thought,
“is it so bad giving and receiving gifts ? No".
But then it came to me that the true meaning of Christmas means much, much more than this.
For Christmas IS about a gift, the most important gift ever given.
And this gift came to each and every one of us with the birth of our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Christmas is about receiving Him in our lives,
and then giving, giving this gift of love,
this gospel of caring for others as He would, as he DID, with His life for us.

This Christmas lets share our love and our time, and our money, taking more care of the elderly
and the poor and needy, the hungry, the sick and afflicted,
and bringing a smile of hope to those who are sad and lonely.

Lets teach our children the true meaning of Christmas.

May Jesus Christ’s light shine from us this Christmas bringing love and peace to everyone.

SPIRIT
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: This Christmas

Post by SPIRIT »

Christmas is simply how you wish to see it.
You can see it and celebrate it the way the World has made it and commercialized it -
everyone hurrying running around like chickens with their heads cut off -
worried about buying more and more THINGS -
Or it can be very special - having a spirit of love for everyone, and giving to those who are really in need.

Either way -
Whether you believe in Christmas or not - or celebrate it,
during this time (when many are in the cold and are in need - maybe even homeless; or just even lonely)
it can be an opportunity to be more like our Savior - as everyday should be - and not just Christmas.

MikeMaillet
captain of 1,000

Post by MikeMaillet »

Thanks for sharing this, SPIRIT.

I grew up in northern Ontario and was brought up in the Catholic faith. If you're French Canadian, you're Catholic :-) Like for every other kid Christmas meant toys, but I was always sensitive to the Christmas story and the birth of the Saviour. When I reached high school I no longer attended church but remember being disgusted with some of my drunk friends who showed up at midnight mass. I always felt that Sacred things should be treated with reverence and a certain decorum.

I love the photo you've attached. God need ask only one question when evaluating His children; "Are there any poor amongst you?"

Merry Christmas

Mike Maillet
Ingleside, Ontario

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Bump

TrueFaith
captain of 1,000

Post by TrueFaith »

Great post. You've reminded me of a story.

We have an older divorced woman in our ward, inactive. My wife and I live close by (rural) so we've taken it upon ourselves to be her first responders when she needs help.

She is extremely picky about who she allows to visit her and allow in her house. Her house is about 100 years old, she hordes dogs, and it is absolutely filthy inside. We've had to throw away clothes simply because the smell won't leave it after being inside for just a few minutes. I visited the mud huts of extremely poor people in Peru on my mission and this is worse than that.

Anyway, she also really dislikes men. It took months for her to warm up to me. One day her vacuum broke down (we had bought it for her brand new a few months prior) so she called me to come try to fix it. I spent an hour on my hands and knees pulling dog hair out of the thing on her muddy front porch. My hands were covered in dog feces by the time I got it cleaned up and running again.

That was a turning point and she really started to respect me. Now she invites me in to fix her computer from time to time.

This last Sunday my wife and I paid her a visit. She invited us to come in and chat in her living room (first time ever). Her house was about 100x cleaner than I had ever seen it before. She had done her hair and the house smelled decent.

She told us an amazing war story about her grandfather who was saved from getting blown up from a German shell in World War 1 because he heard an angelic voice tell him to move. From that day forward he vowed to believe in God and join a church. Long story short, he was baptized LDS and his children have had the gospel blessing in their lives.

I have a lot more warmth in my heart for her now. The first couple years were difficult. But now I see that she is beginning to try to change her life. This experience has helped me understand Charity more clearly. That this is what true, sacrificial Christlike love does to people. It requires work and sacrifice (from both parties).

I was reminded of the story of Faith in Alma 32, how it is like planting a seed and that it begins to "swell" inside of you. Change the topic from "faith" to "love" and it makes even more sense. The more I serve, the more love I feel. It has to start with a seed, but it begins to grow and eventually produce fruit.

SPIRIT
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SPIRIT »

TrueFaith wrote: December 21st, 2021, 8:30 pm Great post. You've reminded me of a story.

We have an older divorced woman in our ward, inactive. My wife and I live close by (rural) so we've taken it upon ourselves to be her first responders when she needs help.

She is extremely picky about who she allows to visit her and allow in her house. Her house is about 100 years old, she hordes dogs, and it is absolutely filthy inside. We've had to throw away clothes simply because the smell won't leave it after being inside for just a few minutes. I visited the mud huts of extremely poor people in Peru on my mission and this is worse than that.

Anyway, she also really dislikes men. It took months for her to warm up to me. One day her vacuum broke down (we had bought it for her brand new a few months prior) so she called me to come try to fix it. I spent an hour on my hands and knees pulling dog hair out of the thing on her muddy front porch. My hands were covered in dog feces by the time I got it cleaned up and running again.

That was a turning point and she really started to respect me. Now she invites me in to fix her computer from time to time.

This last Sunday my wife and I paid her a visit. She invited us to come in and chat in her living room (first time ever). Her house was about 100x cleaner than I had ever seen it before. She had done her hair and the house smelled decent.

She told us an amazing war story about her grandfather who was saved from getting blown up from a German shell in World War 1 because he heard an angelic voice tell him to move. From that day forward he vowed to believe in God and join a church. Long story short, he was baptized LDS and his children have had the gospel blessing in their lives.

I have a lot more warmth in my heart for her now. The first couple years were difficult. But now I see that she is beginning to try to change her life. This experience has helped me understand Charity more clearly. That this is what true, sacrificial Christlike love does to people. It requires work and sacrifice (from both parties).

I was reminded of the story of Faith in Alma 32, how it is like planting a seed and that it begins to "swell" inside of you. Change the topic from "faith" to "love" and it makes even more sense. The more I serve, the more love I feel. It has to start with a seed, but it begins to grow and eventually produce fruit.

you're the one with the great post !
Loved that.
Thank you.

instead of your name being TrueFaith - it should TrueChristian.

you remind me of this scripture.
"he that is greatest among you shall be your servant"