"I will now preach my own sermons to the nations of the earth"

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Trucker
captain of 1,000

"I will now preach my own sermons to the nations of the earth"

Post by Trucker »

Church cancelled worldwide, lots of missionaries going home, a lot of remaining missionaries told to not leave the apartment. I would not be surprised if the church is not right now planning to send all missionaries home, while they can still get flights. If all missionaries are sent home, that would match what Brigham Young said:

“All we have yet heard and we have experienced is scarcely a preface to the sermon that is going to be preached. When the testimony of the Elders ceases to be given, and the Lord says to them, ‘Come home; I will now preach my own sermons to the nations of the earth,’ all you now know can scarcely be called a preface to the sermon that will be preached with fire and sword, tempests, earthquakes, hail, rain, thunders and lightnings, and fearful destruction. What matters the destruction of a few railway cars? You will hear of magnificent cities, now idolized by the people, sinking in the earth, entombing the inhabitants. The sea will heave itself beyond its bounds, engulfing mighty cities. Famine will spread over the nations and nation will rise up against nation, kingdom against kingdom and states against states, in our own country and in foreign lands; and they will destroy each other, caring not for the blood and lives of their neighbors, of their families, or for their own lives” (Brigham Young, Discourses of Brigham Young, 111–12).

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Re: "I will now preach my own sermons to the nations of the earth"

Post by Durzan »

Yep, we’re surprisingly close to that as it is.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Thus far, the coronavirus does not appear tp me to be the "scourge" associated with the cleansing of America as indicated in the D&C.

Art Vandelay
Leader of the Outcasts

Post by Art Vandelay »

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing blows over by the first of summer and all will be back to normal other than another government Dept created to harass the citizens. Something like mandatory vaccines or forced check-ups. The last crisis birthed Homeland security.

Honestly, this pandemic isn't lethal. It's not even bad. Mentally, society is week. We see a mouse in the house and we napalm the whole neighborhood.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

Art Vandelay wrote: March 13th, 2020, 8:30 pm I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing blows over by the first of summer and all will be back to normal other than another government Dept created to harass the citizens. Something like mandatory vaccines or forced check-ups. The last crisis birthed Homeland security.

Honestly, this pandemic isn't lethal. It's not even bad. Mentally, society is week. We see a mouse in the house and we napalm the whole neighborhood.
But it doesn't have to be this Coronavirus that causes a lot of damage itself, just that never has there been a time where the missionaries all got called home, and after that happens the Lord preaches his own sermons. We maybe should expect to see new calamities soon.

Art Vandelay
Leader of the Outcasts

Post by Art Vandelay »

When all the missionaries are called home we'll know the time is up. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, our missionaries haven't been called home. This virus isn't the flu but it's similar in that it's supposed to have it's season. It'll most likely burn out by summer like most viruses. Either way we'll know soon enough.

I'll say this, I'm really looking forward to conference.

Just a quick experience today. I was somewhat watching the news this evening. They spoke about the Temple changes being made and I looked up right when they showed a picture of president Nelson. The Spirit absolutely flooded my whole soul with a knowledge that he is The Lord's Prophet. It was completely unexpected because I wasn't really even paying attention to the news, I was looking at my phone for cars on KSL.com.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

Art Vandelay wrote: March 13th, 2020, 11:48 pm When all the missionaries are called home we'll know the time is up. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, our missionaries haven't been called home. This virus isn't the flu but it's similar in that it's supposed to have it's season. It'll most likely burn out by summer like most viruses. Either way we'll know soon enough.

I'll say this, I'm really looking forward to conference.

Just a quick experience today. I was somewhat watching the news this evening. They spoke about the Temple changes being made and I looked up right when they showed a picture of president Nelson. The Spirit absolutely flooded my whole soul with a knowledge that he is The Lord's Prophet. It was completely unexpected because I wasn't really even paying attention to the news, I was looking at my phone for cars on KSL.com.
Well yes, they haven't been called home yet. A lot have, and I am saying I suspect that they will be soon. And then we will know the time is up. I think you agree with that: if it happens.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

The church pulled all missionaries out of areas in Asia when the coronavirus numbers where less than what they are now in other areas, particularly in Europe. Japan has only had 839 cases up until now, South Korea 8000, Taiwan 59. Compared to Italy so far 24,000, Spain 7844, Germany 5800, France 5400.

So why hasn't the church removed all missionaries from Europe yet? And why hasn't there been any new official information on what the church is doing for missionaries for 4 days (https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... onary-work)?

I think it's because they have been planning to send them all back home and there will be a big announcement on it. I am expecting that to come today, maybe tomorrow.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

Peru and Honduras are closing their borders, as are a lot of other countries. It's time to evacuate all missionaries everywhere. I am just waited for the announcement.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

"all you now know can scarcely be called a preface to the sermon that will be preached with fire and sword, tempests, earthquakes, hail, rain, thunders and lightnings, and fearful destruction"

I am still expecting all missionaries to be called home soon

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Art Vandelay wrote: March 13th, 2020, 8:30 pmHonestly, this pandemic isn't lethal. It's not even bad. Mentally, society is week. We see a mouse in the house and we napalm the whole neighborhood.
Boom! This, exactly!

SPIRIT
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SPIRIT »

lundbaek wrote: March 13th, 2020, 6:49 pm Thus far, the coronavirus does not appear tp me to be the "scourge" associated with the cleansing of America as indicated in the D&C.
no, it doesn't really to me either; I think that perhaps this was only a trail run - who knows for sure though , but it sure is a wake-up call,
because, according to the scripture, we know that it will be something similar. (a desolating sickness)
So those that think this is nothing, IMO aren't taking the scriptures very serious.
We shouldn't fear or panic, but shouldn't we concerned - knowing God's judgments are coming on the unrighteous,
at least to try to take the necessary precautions and prepare best as we can -
first spiritually and temporally.

D&C45
30 And in that generation shall the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
31 And there shall be men standing in that generation, that shall not pass until they shall see an overflowing scourge;
for a desolating sickness shall cover the land.

Jamescm
captain of 100

Post by Jamescm »

The issues with this are as follows, to my knowledge:
- All missionaries aren't being recalled to make way for the Lord's disaster-preaching, some are being recalled to avoid being sick.
- This sickness isn't a terrible scourge that is overtaking the world. Most of this is media and political hype and opportunism.
- All of this home-church isn't in response to threats against the saints, the sins slowly being embraced in and out of the Church, or our loss of individual liberty. It's all a response to a disease that didn't originate with the saints, isn't what could be described as "desolating", and whose primary damage on a global/economic scale is man-made through hype and fear.

My thought was that this may be some form of "warning" or test-run, which was later suggested in our stake president's letter to the stake. I know him personally and can absolutely vouch for his insight.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

Update from the church (which is a little bit buried) :

"Missionaries in the following locations are in the process of returning to their home nations: all Church areas except Europe and Europe East and the following countries: Australia, Dominican Republic, New Zealand and Taiwan."

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... onary-work

And why are they not returning from Europe? Is it because they think this will blow over and they should just wait it out? I doubt that. I'm sure they would like to get them out of Europe but they haven't been able to. Same for all the remaining areas. They haven't been sent home yet because they can't arrange the logistics yet. But they will. All the missionaries will be coming home soon.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

Pray for the missionaries. Many of them are stuck and can't return because of travel restrictions.

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

Official church website now only lists a few areas not sending missionaries home (yet):

"Missionaries are in the process of returning to their home nations. This applies to all areas except Europe and Europe East and Taiwan."

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Trucker wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:03 am Official church website now only lists a few areas not sending missionaries home (yet):

"Missionaries are in the process of returning to their home nations. This applies to all areas except Europe and Europe East and Taiwan."

I read the article you linked and it does not say that the church is sending missionaries home. It does say that missionaries with health issues, sisters with less than 90 days remaining, and elders with less than 180 days remaining will be sent home, but all other missionaries returned to their home countries will be reassigned to missions in their home countries.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

brianj wrote: March 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm ... missionaries returned to their home countries ...

Home vs Home country ... splitting hairs ... how many significant digits is that? :P

Trucker
captain of 1,000

Post by Trucker »

brianj wrote: March 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Trucker wrote: March 25th, 2020, 9:03 am Official church website now only lists a few areas not sending missionaries home (yet):

I read the article you linked and it does not say that the church is sending missionaries home. It does say that missionaries with health issues, sisters with less than 90 days remaining, and elders with less than 180 days remaining will be sent home, but all other missionaries returned to their home countries will be reassigned to missions in their home countries.
Keep waiting. Missionaries are being sent to their own homes to self-isolate for two weeks. Then the expectation is that they will be reassigned. I don't think they will be. And more and more states in the US and countries are going into lockdown so they wouldn't be able to do missionary work in their home country anyway.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

BeNotDeceived wrote: March 25th, 2020, 11:09 pm
brianj wrote: March 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm ... missionaries returned to their home countries ...

Home vs Home country ... splitting hairs ... how many significant digits is that? :P
Hopefully we can agree to disagree here. You see missionaries serving missions in their home countries as missionaries being called home. I look at the prophecy that missionaries will be called home and missionary work will cease as not fulfilled when missionaries are still serving missions in their home countries.

The prophecy I am thinking of is: ”O, ye, my servants, come home, come out from the midst of these Gentile nations, where you have labored and borne testimony for so long a period; come out from among them, for they are not worthy; they do not receive the message that I have sent forth, they do not repent of their sins, come out from their midst, their times are fulfilled. Seal up the testimony among them and bind up the law.” (Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 18, p. 64, July 25, 1875)

If you choose to not agree to disagree then I'll be curious to hear how you conclude that missionaries sending forth the Lord's message in their home countries is the same as no longer preaching.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Trucker wrote: March 26th, 2020, 3:38 am
brianj wrote: March 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Keep waiting. Missionaries are being sent to their own homes to self-isolate for two weeks. Then the expectation is that they will be reassigned. I don't think they will be. And more and more states in the US and countries are going into lockdown so they wouldn't be able to do missionary work in their home country anyway.
I will keep waiting and watching. I know someone in another country, with a niece serving as a missionary in a third country, whose niece has been informed that she will not be sent home but will stay in a missionary residence and continue missionary work online in that country. Missionaries in lockdown areas in the US and UK are also continuing to work, but doing so electronically.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

brianj wrote: March 29th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Hopefully we can agree to disagree here. You see missionaries serving missions in their home countries as missionaries being called home. I look at the prophecy that missionaries will be called home and missionary work will cease as not fulfilled when missionaries are still serving missions in their home countries.

The prophecy I am thinking of is: ”O, ye, my servants, come home, come out from the midst of these Gentile nations, where you have labored and borne testimony for so long a period; come out from among them, for they are not worthy; they do not receive the message that I have sent forth, they do not repent of their sins, come out from their midst, their times are fulfilled. Seal up the testimony among them and bind up the law.” (Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 18, p. 64, July 25, 1875)

If you choose to not agree to disagree then I'll be curious to hear how you conclude that missionaries sending forth the Lord's message in their home countries is the same as no longer preaching.
I don’t disagree, rather
just stirring up the conversation,
so we’ll better know what’s what, next time. :P
Are other ENTPs in the house, willing to admit same :?:

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

BeNotDeceived wrote: March 29th, 2020, 3:50 pm
brianj wrote: March 29th, 2020, 1:14 pm

I don’t disagree, rather
just stirring up the conversation,
so we’ll better know what’s what, next time. :P
Are other ENTPs in the house, willing to admit same :?:
I used to be an ENTP, now I'm ENFP. I udnerstand you. Though i don't really subscribe to that anymore.... I'm Me :)

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Jamescm wrote: March 19th, 2020, 10:52 am The issues with this are as follows, to my knowledge:
- All missionaries aren't being recalled to make way for the Lord's disaster-preaching, some are being recalled to avoid being sick.
- This sickness isn't a terrible scourge that is overtaking the world. Most of this is media and political hype and opportunism.
- All of this home-church isn't in response to threats against the saints, the sins slowly being embraced in and out of the Church, or our loss of individual liberty. It's all a response to a disease that didn't originate with the saints, isn't what could be described as "desolating", and whose primary damage on a global/economic scale is man-made through hype and fear...
Good points, James!

Too obviously orchestrated?

“To achieve world government, it is necessary to remove from the minds of men, their individualism, loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogmas.”
—G. Brock Chisholm, co-founder of the World Federation for Mental Health, former director of UN World Health Organization

“There will have to be a godly cease-fire, a temporary truce where the absolute exclusive claims of each religion will be honored but an agreed-upon neutrality will be exercised in terms of proselytizing, condemning, murdering or dominating.  These will not be tolerated in the United Religions zone.”
—Bishop William Swing, United Religions Initiative president, New York, August 2000

https://endtimesprophecyreport.com/2013 ... -religion/

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

John Tavner wrote: March 29th, 2020, 4:00 pm I used to be an ENTP, now I'm ENFP. I udnerstand you. Though i don't really subscribe to that anymore.... I'm Me :)
There's a lot of criticism of the Meyers-Briggs model, some of which points out that most people are close to the middle and the results can vary depending on what's going on in that person's life at the moment they are taking the test.