Church says Vaping is "not okay"

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
thestock
captain of 1,000

Church says Vaping is "not okay"

Post by thestock »

Well glad we got that cleared up. Perhaps the Church should just publish a PDF file on its website of all banned foods, drinks, and substances just in case people aren't clear on what violates the word of wisdom....

https://religionnews.com/2019/08/13/mem ... ds-church/

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Church says Vaping is "not okay"

Post by MMbelieve »

Article also includes that green tea is against the Word of Wisdom.

Im baffled at how people can say vaping is okay, its nicotine. Silly kids.

thestock
captain of 1,000

Post by thestock »

Green tea has anti-oxidants and is so so so much healthier than the scores of energy beverages on the market that our young people are drinking which the Church has no problem with.....

:facepalm:

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Our culture is a joke. My elders are practicing unrightuous dominion on me.... by basing my worthiness on the Word of Wisdom .... hypocrisy, clown country.

It's cool, I forgive you guys, I'm also a hypocrite....but at least I know it.

1 A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

MMbelieve wrote: August 13th, 2019, 12:24 pm Article also includes that green tea is against the Word of Wisdom.

I missed where the WoW mentions nicotine.....
I’ve only seen two convert baptisms the last 5 years, one was a habitual vapor......and yet was baptized.
(I don’t vape, or smoke)

Putting anything into your lungs other than oxygen and nitrogen is not a good thing.

I am more shocked at how people love to read more into the WoW than what it states. Precepts of men mingled with scripture.......

Michael Sherwin
The Wickerman

Post by Michael Sherwin »

NIGHTLIGHT wrote: August 13th, 2019, 12:44 pm Our culture is a joke. My elders are practicing unrightuous dominion on me.... by basing my worthiness on the Word of Wisdom .... hypocrisy, clown country.

1 A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days
My understanding is that it is not a sin to break the word of wisdom. The only effect is to disqualify someone from going to the temple. So the Church uses that as leverage to enforce the word of wisdom. LDS say the temple is where saving ordinances are performed. Is this really correct? Even the telestial realm is far grander than life on this earth. And according to Church doctrine everyone will eventually make it to at least the telestial realm. And that is being saved.

I was born with a heart defect that was never repaired. I was not ever supposed to make it to my 40th birthday. And here I am at 62yo and still here. However because of my heart defect I have a difficult time staying alert due to low blood pressure and not enough blood flow to my brain. I have found that taking a 200mg caffeine pill and chewing nicotine gum at the same time allows me to be alert most of the day. The bishop would not even consider my special needs and just told me that I was not to do that anymore.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

PressingForward wrote: August 13th, 2019, 12:49 pm
MMbelieve wrote: August 13th, 2019, 12:24 pm Article also includes that green tea is against the Word of Wisdom.

I’ve only seen two convert baptisms the last 5 years, one was a habitual vapor......and yet was baptized.
(I don’t vape, or smoke)

Putting anything into your lungs other than oxygen and nitrogen is not a good thing.

I am more shocked at how people love to read more into the WoW than what it states. Precepts of men mingled with scripture.......
There is not reading more into the WoW to know nicotine is against it. Smoking? The point of smoking is to get nicotine, not the other 1000 chemical it gives out. Vaping is to get nicotine.

Are you saying smoking is not against the word of wisdom? Nicotine is not against the word of wisdom?

thestock
captain of 1,000

Post by thestock »

Michael Sherwin wrote: August 13th, 2019, 1:10 pm
NIGHTLIGHT wrote: August 13th, 2019, 12:44 pm Our culture is a joke. My elders are practicing unrightuous dominion on me.... by basing my worthiness on the Word of Wisdom .... hypocrisy, clown country.

My understanding is that it is not a sin to break the word of wisdom. The only effect is to disqualify someone from going to the temple. So the Church uses that as leverage to enforce the word of wisdom. LDS say the temple is where saving ordinances are performed. Is this really correct? Even the telestial realm is far grander than life on this earth. And according to Church doctrine everyone will eventually make it to at least the telestial realm. And that is being saved.

I was born with a heart defect that was never repaired. I was not ever supposed to make it to my 40th birthday. And here I am at 62yo and still here. However because of my heart defect I have a difficult time staying alert due to low blood pressure and not enough blood flow to my brain. I have found that taking a 200mg caffeine pill and chewing nicotine gum at the same time allows me to be alert most of the day. The bishop would not even consider my special needs and just told me that I was not to do that anymore.
I just want to go on the record as saying that no bishop or any man alive has the power to tell you what you can or cannot do when it comes to the medical needs of your body. I assume you are under the care of a physician. If you should be listening to anyone's advice about this stuff, it would be him/her.....not some lay person Bishop who treats you like a church handbook violator. It saddens me that we are in the 21st century and our Church still thinks it needs to tell adults what they can or cannot be eating, drinking, or ingesting. Seriously?

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

That same Bishop could be taking anti-depressants, Xanax, Ambien, and opioids, and think he's keeping the Word of Wisdom, therefore claiming temple worthiness while denying you a temple recommend.

Just when things start looking up, there is another "green tea is the gateway drug to hell" article, while our youth are slugging down energy drinks with their Ritalin.

Pharisees, much?

PressingForward
captain of 100

MMbelieve wrote: August 13th, 2019, 1:15 pm

(I don’t vape, or smoke)

There is not reading more into the WoW to know nicotine is against it. Smoking? The point of smoking is to get nicotine, not the other 1000 chemical it gives out. Vaping is to get nicotine.

Are you saying smoking is not against the word of wisdom? Nicotine is not against the word of wisdom?
What I’m saying is this. Tobacco is specifically called out in the WoW.
Nicotine is not.
Caffeine is NOT called out in the WoW......
The WoW is NOT a commandment according
To the Lord......
In your flavor of LDSism, is Pepsi against a commandment somehow?

There is ALL KINDS of crap worse than nicotine, caffeine, or even THC that our membership utilize.

PressingForward
captain of 100

Of you were prescribed the caffeine pill and nicotine gum, then your Bishop is WRONG WRONG WRONG, and I would go talk to your Stake President.
I personally know someone who moved to a state where she could utilize marijuana edibles, prescribed by a MD of course, and has her Temple Recommend.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

PressingForward wrote: August 13th, 2019, 2:26 pm

(I don’t vape, or smoke)

Nicotine is not.
To the Lord......

There is ALL KINDS of crap worse than nicotine, caffeine, or even THC that our membership utilize.
Rationalization doesn't work.

Excuse me if nicotine is not specifically stated, guess i relied on my brain for that one, lol. Nicotine is one of the most powerful addictions to overcome. And since you don’t smoke perhaps you do not know this.

To answer your question, I do not care if someone drinks a Pepsi nor do I think they are breaking a commandment.
I also do not care if anyone drinks green tea or smokes whatever they want or drinks a beer. It simply has no bearing on my life.

The only reason I commented is because of the silliness of some (teenagers) believing vaping is not in the same category as smoking. But since vaping is not specifically stated...

Why do people seem to look for loop holes to walk the on the line? Lets try to be like everyone else and not stand out, lets do like they do because its not spelled out word for word not to but even if it was, its not a commandment anyways.

Its silly to me and its fine if others want to play around and justify whatever they want to do. I really don't care that much.

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Post by Mindfields »

The WOW was nothing new even at the time it was given. All of the WOW's prohibitions were already being considered as possible health issues back in the early 1800's by others outside the church. There is nothing amazing/miraculous about it. Maybe if boil your water before drinking or avoid excess sugar had been included in the WOW then it would've been something amazing/miraculous. At least those weren't really being discussed/considered at the time.

Davka
captain of 1,000

Post by Davka »

MMbelieve wrote: August 13th, 2019, 2:40 pm
(I don’t vape, or smoke)

Nicotine is not.
To the Lord......

Excuse me if nicotine is not specifically stated, guess i relied on my brain for that one, lol. Nicotine is one of the most powerful addictions to overcome. And since you don’t smoke perhaps you do not know this.

To answer your question, I do not care if someone drinks a Pepsi nor do I think they are breaking a commandment.
I also do not care if anyone drinks green tea or smokes whatever they want or drinks a beer. It simply has no bearing on my life.

The only reason I commented is because of the silliness of some (teenagers) believing vaping is not in the same category as smoking. But since vaping is not specifically stated...

Why do people seem to look for loop holes to walk the on the line? Lets try to be like everyone else and not stand out, lets do like they do because its not spelled out word for word not to but even if it was, its not a commandment anyways.

Its silly to me and its fine if others want to play around and justify whatever they want to do. I really don't care that much.
It is funny that we want to be told exactly where the line is so we can walk...right...up...to...it....but feel okay because we didn’t cross it.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

MMbelieve wrote: August 13th, 2019, 2:40 pm
(I don’t vape, or smoke)

Nicotine is not.
To the Lord......

You're right...it's silly for them to think cigs are bad but vap is good. Though...can you blame the kids??? Their parents teach them coffee is bad but caffeine is ok. It's the same concept of hypocrisy.

Personally....I don't see the appeal in vaping, it doesn't give the buzz of a cig/cigar. Forming a habit on anything is contrary to the Spirit, whether it be tobacco, food etc.

Nothing like a cigar after a good meal, though.
Of course...unless that cigar is in the company of a glass of red wine ;)

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

MMbelieve wrote: August 13th, 2019, 2:40 pmTo answer your question, I do not care if someone drinks a Pepsi nor do I think they are breaking a commandment.
Must interject the fact that beer is actually Word of Wisdom APPROVED, and not on the WoW ban list. It's just not modern-day LDS Church approved.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Brother B. wrote: August 13th, 2019, 5:23 pm
MMbelieve wrote: August 13th, 2019, 2:40 pmTo answer your question, I do not care if someone drinks a Pepsi nor do I think they are breaking a commandment.
Must interject the fact that beer is actually Word of Wisdom APPROVED, and not on the WoW ban list. It's just not modern-day LDS Church approved.
I agree and thats why I don't judge :)

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

My guess in the not-to-distant-future, the church policy regarding the Word of Wisdom will change.
I think the requirement to commit to abstaining from liquor, tea, coffee and smoking prior to baptism will be retired.
(It has always been an artificial restriction for baptism, one which the Savior would likely not enforce).

The church will drop the WoW requirement for Baptism, but hold on to it for Temple Worthiness interviews.
This makes baptism available to everyone on the face of the planet.

So the two priesthoods will again be separated.... Aaronic for preparation and Melchizedek for higher exaltation.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

JK4Woods wrote: August 13th, 2019, 6:21 pm My guess in the not-to-distant-future, the church policy regarding the Word of Wisdom will change.
I think the requirement to commit to abstaining from liquor, tea, coffee and smoking prior to baptism will be retired.
(It has always been an artificial restriction for baptism, one which the Savior would likely not enforce).

The church will drop the WoW requirement for Baptism, but hold on to it for Temple Worthiness interviews.

So the two priesthoods will again be separated.... Aaronic for preparation and Melchizedek for higher exaltation.
I hope they do remove the WoW requirements for Baptism. It would be amazing

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

What about white tea?

I collect and dry wild plants to be used as medicine. A friend of our youngest son, after seeing my shelves of glass jars filled with dried herbs commented to him, "If you mother had lived a few hundred years ago, she would have been burned as a witch."

Thank the Good Lord we have good wells on our property; we don't have to worry about water purity. I have offered herbal tea to visiting members. Most won't touch a cup of elderberry blossom or even chamomile tea.

Yet, I often see members in 'high standing' drink colas and energy drinks. I suspect the increase in pancreatic cancer can be directly linked to 'soft' drinks. The 'bromated' citrus drinks are linked to thyroid problems as well as to cognitive difficulties.

"...not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation."

Are we not admonished to be worthy of personal revelation?

jmack
captain of 1,000

Post by jmack »

thestock wrote: August 13th, 2019, 12:16 pm Well glad we got that cleared up. Perhaps the Church should just publish a PDF file on its website of all banned foods, drinks, and substances just in case people aren't clear on what violates the word of wisdom....

https://religionnews.com/2019/08/13/mem ... ds-church/
You'd be surprised at what some people don't know.

jmack
captain of 1,000

Post by jmack »

buffalo_girl wrote: August 13th, 2019, 6:27 pm What about white tea?

I collect and dry wild plants to be used as medicine. A friend of our youngest son, after seeing my shelves of glass jars filled with dried herbs commented to him, "If you mother had lived a few hundred years ago, she would have been burned as a witch."

Thank the Good Lord we have good wells on our property; we don't have to worry about water purity. I have offered herbal tea to visiting members. Most won't touch a cup of elderberry blossom or even chamomile tea.

Yet, I often see members in 'high standing' drink colas and energy drinks. I suspect the increase in pancreatic cancer can be directly linked to 'soft' drinks. The 'bromated' citrus drinks are linked to thyroid problems as well as to cognitive difficulties.

"...not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation."

Are we not admonished to be worthy of personal revelation?
If it's not full of toxins it's fine, lots of teas are even healthy. Sodas are completely safe for most people to drink, I think a lot of people live in fear of their food.

jmack
captain of 1,000

Post by jmack »

John Tavner wrote: August 13th, 2019, 6:26 pm
JK4Woods wrote: August 13th, 2019, 6:21 pm My guess in the not-to-distant-future, the church policy regarding the Word of Wisdom will change.

I don't see the word of wisdom changing at all, it's already very simple with lots of room for members to govern themselves.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

jmack wrote: August 13th, 2019, 6:42 pm
John Tavner wrote: August 13th, 2019, 6:26 pm

I don't see the word of wisdom changing at all, it's already very simple with lots of room for members to govern themselves.
Was this directed at me? I'm talking about changing the additional requirements the church has added for baptism... not changing hte word of wisdom

Rumpelstiltskin
captain of 1,000

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

It's sad that the Brethren had to actually come out and specifically tell the membership that vaping is stupid and wrong. Anyone with more than two working brain cells would already know that. DOH!