3 Nephi Chapter 3

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
ChelC
The Law

3 Nephi Chapter 3

Post by ChelC »

Who do you think most closely resembles Giddianhi, the Gadianton leader, from his own words in this chapter?

He reminds me of the New World Order crowd by the following:

9 ... "which society and the works thereof I know to be good"

Despite the fact that they are secret, that they murder, they believe it to be good, and handed down through the generations. Sound familar from a certain someone's memoirs?

Of course that also could relate to some of the Middle Eastern extremists as well, who believe that their murders are good. Or the communists because they believe that murder is also noble since it brings about the "inevitable" end more quickly.

The way that he praises the Nephites for their noble battle over what they believe is right, sounds more like what a politician would say - I don't think the "radical muslim" group would praise us for that.

As for the turning over your stuff and joining the ranks crap, it sounds more like the Russian communists.

So if Nephi 3 represents the last days, do you think the Gadianton robbers represent multiple evils, or one major secret combination, and if you believe the latter, who do you think they most closely resemble?

ShineOn
captain of 100

Post by ShineOn »

Rockefeller, Kissinger.

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

I think "the" Secret Combination is best described in Ken Bowers books. At the same time I still think there are many general secret combinations throughout the world and depending on the Spirit, the time, the need, etc.; the Book of Mormon helps us learn and deal with them all.

Did anyone read the Iranian President's letter that he wrote to the American people (I can never spell/pronounce the guys name). I thought it was kind of analgous to Giddianhi's letter as well.

WhisperFox
captain of 100

Post by WhisperFox »

I'm not sure how many of you are as old as I am, but if you go back and read George Bush Sr. open letter to Saddam prior to us going in for "Desert Storm" early 1991, I think you'll find our own president makes quite a case that we are the secret combinations or Gaddiantons and we were offering them to join us in splitting the spoils of the secret combinations.

I happened to be reading that chapter of the BofM and "Many Are Called But Few Are Chosen" the week in 1991 when Bush made his public statements. Sent chills through me and I've never been able to feel quite clean as an American ever since.

Wish I were wrong, but I'm afraid we are it.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Yeah turning over possessions and joining the "freedom loving" crowd, the cause for "democracy" also rings true. We have become an agressor nation.

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

I'm still curious about who are the modern-day righteous leaders similar to Lachoneus & Gidgiddoni.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

We have met the enemy and he is us.

WhisperFox
captain of 100

Post by WhisperFox »

Let me know when you find the righteous leaders. I'm still looking.

ShineOn
captain of 100

Post by ShineOn »

Ha ha. Good one, WhisperFox. Maybe that's the question: who is Lachoneus?