Plant your cherry trees...

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
ChelC
The Law

Plant your cherry trees...

Post by ChelC »

I found the following quote in a gospel doctrine lesson about the second coming, I think it's a good reminder for all of us,

Elder Richard L. Evans said: “Some of the brethren … approached [President Wilford Woodruff] and … inquired of him as to when he felt the end would be—when would be the coming of the Master? These, I think, are not his exact words, but they convey the spirit of his reported reply: ‘I would live as if it were to be tomorrow—but I am still planting cherry trees!’ I think we may well take this as a page for our own book and live as if the end might be tomorrow—and still plant cherry trees! In worrying about things that are beyond our reach, we should not overlook our opportunities with our own families and friends; in worrying about possible eventualities we should not neglect the things that need to be done here and now, and that are within our reach” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1950, 105–6).

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Post by Stephen »

That is excellent counsel.

Sometimes I tell children "You will be an awesome missionary"...but I think in the back of my mind..."They will probably not get to be missionaries as we now know it...the calamities...and withdrawal of the missionaries will happen long before this child is old enough to serve".

It is easy to get caught up in the "tomorrow is the end!" mentality and not look to the future.

Still I would rather have a pantry full of supplies...than a mutual fund with high dollars.

This point of view actually led me out of my career in financial planning. If a client were to ask me..."What do you think the future holds for our economy?" I would reply "I believe that within 10 years we will have a depression that will make the last one look like a sunday school picnic". That doesn't sell a lot of investments!

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

That's kind of funny.

Hope you are enjoying your new trade more. That was something which struck me when I read Many are Called but Few are Chosen, I think if we had less of the silly regulations we do on everything, that more people would follow their hearts into the career that best suits them. Not everyone can afford the prestigious education - if we could actually get jobs based on our knowledge instead of a college degree, many positions would rotate I think! Some of the dingiest people I've known have done quite well in school, the ability to memorize rather than reason seems to prevail in many areas.