Some people will only learn through experience

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
ShineOn
captain of 100

Some people will only learn through experience

Post by ShineOn »

One of my favorite scriptures is in D&C 38 where the Lord warns the Saints that there are bad people out there that are about to do bad things.
D&C 38

29 Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land.

30 I tell you these things because of your prayers; wherefore, treasure up wisdom in your bosoms, lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto you by their wickedness, in a manner which shall speak in your ears with a voice louder than that which shall shake the earth; but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear.
I like this phrase: "I tell you these things... lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto you by their wickedness" which I take to mean that rather than having the saints learn of the wickedness of men by experiencing it firsthand, the Lord is warning them so they can avoid it.

I think that some people can learn through study or warnings or inspiration, but others just won't believe it untill they see it or it happens to them.

I think there is a dangerous erosion of liberties going on, but some people just won't get it until a SWAT team in Darth Vader suits kick down their door. Some people just won't believe that there is a problem with depleted uranium with the troops in the middle east until their cousing gets cancer. For some, it's just not a real concern until it directly affects them or is directly observable by them.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

One of the objectives occasionally discussed on this forum is how we can spread the word in ways that will arouse the interest and concern of others without giving them cause to blow us off. It seems most of us find our warnings unwelcome.

79scholar
captain of 100

Post by 79scholar »

I have a hypothesis that this ostrich behavior mostly comes from the subliminal messages of media ... like psychological hypnosis.

Underlying media messages
- advertisements: everything's ok. But buy this and you'll be happy!
- medical advertisements: These people are taking drugs. Look how happy they are!! You're experiencing problems. Something's wrong with you -- talk to your doctor.
- reality TV: nothing bad is really happening, it's all just a prank.
- sports: everything's ok. The worst that can happen is your team loses.
- soaps: Oh no!! Jenna is cheating on her husband and got caught! Be afraid of what's going to happen to this fictitious character! Feel how much she loves this other man! Feel the jealousy, the rage, the love, the passion! Jenna is good because she loves this other man and her husband never gives her attention on the show! It's so unfair to Jenna! What ever will you do now that this fictitious Jenna is in so much trouble!!
- sitcoms: Everything's good for a laugh.
- TV news: Be afraid! Kidnapping! Terrorism! Our President is certainly doing his job. The Federal Reserve is helping our economy. We bring you everything you need to know! We're the best news channel!
- Disney: Don't worry about anything bad or wrong, just focus on the cute fluffy stories and animals and all your troubles will magically disappear! There's always a happy ending!
- Rap music: Be tough. Kill some cops and do some b*tches!
- Hip-hop music: Here's how you're supposed to have sex, do it like this and this and this ...
- Punk music: The system sucks. Life sucks.
- Emo music: I'm depressed. You're depressed. I can't get a date, so I'm gonna cut myself.
- Pop music: be a Barbie girl. Be like Madonna or Paris Hilton
- Miscellaneous Rock & Roll: miscellaneous above
- Country music: I'm still working on getting my heart unbroken
- Billboards: Beer = good! Hot chicks = good!
- Magazines: Don't you want to look like HER? You're not pretty enough! You need cosmetics, surgeries, and follow these tips to be pretty and feel pretty ... otherwise no one will love you and you'll die an old maid, forever being a reject.
- Celebrities: rich is good. Being rich is so fun. I'm better than you because you're just not rich enough. Look at my dress! Aren't you jealous?
- Tabloids: gossip is good
- Movies: it's only entertainment, that's all.

Most of these messages train one to verily believe that if they ignore something they don't like, the problem will go away (especially Disney influence). Therefore they are trained to not believe anything unless they experience it for themselves ... because they're conditioned to hearing so much nonsense, particularly from the media.

They disbelieve simply because they don't want to believe .... and I believe this is the essence of ignorance.

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

79scholar wrote: TV news: Be afraid! Kidnapping! Terrorism! Our President is certainly doing his job. The Federal Reserve is helping our economy. We bring you everything you need to know! We're the best news channel!
Great post (all of it). I especially liked the above quote because it reminds me of Fox news slogan - "FOX News - Fair & Balanced". So why would we think otherwise? :)

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Yes scholar - the messages are bad. Especially among women. I saw a preview for some talk show and this woman was in tears because her boobs started sagging after nursing her kid, said they were her best feature before and it was causing marital problems. They need someone to constantly assure them that they are beautiful because that is where they place their value. The four dollar eyeshadow just won't make them as good looking as the thirty dollar one.

79scholar
captain of 100

Post by 79scholar »

ChelC wrote:Yes scholar - the messages are bad. Especially among women. I saw a preview for some talk show and this woman was in tears because her boobs started sagging after nursing her kid, said they were her best feature before and it was causing marital problems. They need someone to constantly assure them that they are beautiful because that is where they place their value. The four dollar eyeshadow just won't make them as good looking as the thirty dollar one.
WOW! :shock: Oh the vanity of vanities! And the vanity of her husband that boobs keep the relationship together! lol!

(I'm so glad my wife gets all her makeup at the dollar store! :lol: )

I guess my point is ... if THIS is our focus, the vanity of looking good to impress man, then how are we to focus on the Lord or the future? These will only learn by experience ... because they won't want to learn otherwise ... because they're too busy focusing on other things.

All these influences remind me of D&C 1:16.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

"FOX News - Fair & Balanced". Too bad it ain't true. A common illusion today is that Fox News is significantly more conservative than the other big three networks. Not so. Fox is merely playing the role of the pro-government cheerleader, just like CNN did during the Gulf War, when it came out of obscurity to become an instant major player. That never happens without government ties.

NewsWithViews.com is the site I think shows the best judgment about a broad range of issues.