Website cookies? (Brian)

How can we improve the forum? Need help with something on the forum?
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Website cookies? (Brian)

Post by JohnnyL »

Brian, Do we need to do something to update our cookies, or such? I read threads, refresh, and they still show up as not having been read, etc.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Website cookies? (Brian)

Post by brianj »

I've been seeing the same issue. I have to mark as read three or four times before it sticks.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Same.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Thanks, at least it helps to know it's not just my computer or such. :)

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I was curious enough to check out multiple browsers on multiple operating systems.

I noticed this started when there was a change so I would see the new forum user interface until I log in, then I would be redirected to the classic user interface. So I think some of the back end coding is not quite right.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I changed some settings to decrease the load on the server. In this regard, I changed it so the read/unread status information is stored via a cookie rather than the database. It seems to be working just fine for me.

You could try clearing your browser cache and cookies to see if the problem clears up for you.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

I use sometimes laptop and sometimes mobile device. If I read something with my mobile phone, it often shows as unread on my laptop (or vice versa). But if I only use one device, then I don't have any problems.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

inho wrote: February 19th, 2018, 10:45 am I use sometimes laptop and sometimes mobile device. If I read something with my mobile phone, it often shows as unread on my laptop (or vice versa). But if I only use one device, then I don't have any problems.
Just using one device.

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

inho wrote: February 19th, 2018, 10:45 am I use sometimes laptop and sometimes mobile device. If I read something with my mobile phone, it often shows as unread on my laptop (or vice versa). But if I only use one device, then I don't have any problems.
Same. Brian's explanation tells us why: "I changed it so the read/unread status information is stored via a cookie rather than the database." So unlike the database which is stored server side, the cookies are stored independently on whatever device you're using to access the website. Your laptop therefor will show up to what you last read on your laptop, and your phone will only show what you read on your phone. Slightly annoying, but tolerable.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Same here.
JohnnyL wrote: February 19th, 2018, 10:56 am Just using one device.