Noah Took How Many of Each Animal? Why Are We Told Two?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
skmo
captain of 1,000

Noah Took How Many of Each Animal? Why Are We Told Two?

Post by skmo »

We all know Noah was told by God to take two of every animal onto the Ark with him, male and female.
18 But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons’ wives with thee.

19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.
- Genesis 6:18-20
However, in chapter 7 it tells us he is to take two of the unclean animals and seven of the clean ones:
2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.
- Genesis 7: 2-3
So why is it we're only told about the two by two, and not the seven by seven?

skmo
captain of 1,000

Re: Noah Took How Many of Each Animal? Why Are We Told Two?

Post by skmo »

And why the crud did he have to take wasps? I hate wasps almost as much as I hate politicians.
Last edited by skmo on February 18th, 2018, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Good question! One I do not know the answer to.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

skmo wrote: February 18th, 2018, 2:38 pm And why the crud did he have to take wasps? I hate wasps almost as much as I hate politicians.
Wasps had their place.

No politicians were saved, though.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

skmo wrote: February 18th, 2018, 2:34 pm We all know Noah was told by God to take two of every animal onto the Ark with him, male and female.
18 But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons’ wives with thee.

19 And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

20 Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.
However, in chapter 7 it tells us he is to take two of the unclean animals and seven of the clean ones:
2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.
The clean are so few, and not really cool as the unclean (for picture purposes).

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

"And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord, and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar." (Genesis 8:20)

We talk about the two because that's how many it takes to start multiplying and replenishing the earth. The extra of the clean animals were apparently intended for sacrifice after the flood, as we read in the scriptural account.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

There were eight humans, and our longevity dropped 90%.

Less biodiversity typically means more blue bloods, etc.

How were the lifespans of the animals affected :?:

Another consideration affecting lifespan is that the quality of our diet was impacted, with Niagen being a possible example of lesser quality milk that now only contains a trace amount. This may be related to the quality of Plant Flora after the flood.

Let unclean animals interbreed, who cares. :P

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Onsdag wrote: February 18th, 2018, 3:10 pm "And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord, and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar." (Genesis 8:20)

We talk about the two because that's how many it takes to start multiplying and replenishing the earth. The extra of the clean animals were apparently intended for sacrifice after the flood, as we read in the scriptural account.
We learned today that it was the unicorns that were the sacrificial animals. Therefore why we don't seem them today.
dc

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

skmo wrote: February 18th, 2018, 2:34 pm We all know Noah was told by God to take two of every animal onto the Ark with him, male and female.

Mandela Effect

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

David13 wrote: February 18th, 2018, 5:44 pm
Onsdag wrote: February 18th, 2018, 3:10 pm "And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord, and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar." (Genesis 8:20)

We learned today that it was the unicorns that were the sacrificial animals. Therefore why we don't seem them today.
dc
What blasphemy is this?! Nobody in their right mind - least of all a prophet of God - would sacrifice a unicorn!

No, I'm afraid your teacher is teaching false doctrine and should be called out on it. Kindly point them to the truth of the matter - that they simply missed the boat:

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

But we are told right there in Genesis 7: 2-3, some people just do not pay attention to the story.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Look at the symbolism in this story, 7 clean to one symbolizes the Bride to the Groom , compare with Exodus 2:16 Now the Priest of Midian (He stands in as the Groom or the one) had Seven daughters (they symbolize the Bride) and they came and drew water (the elements of water symbolize Christ who is the fountain of water, the living waters , fountain of all righteousness), look at what they do fill the troughs to water their Fathers flock, are we not His flock. v17 Moses stood up and helped them (water the Fathers flock). Isaiah 4:1 (important enough to be repeated in 2 Nephi 14) v1 And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man. (Again the symbolism of the Bride embracing the Groom). Rev. 2:1 These things Saith He that holdeth the seven Stars in His right hand who walked in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks. Don't focus on 2 unclean look to the 7 clean and the story it tells. There is much about the flood that is symbolic , the 2 symbolizes unclean , look pass that to the depth of the story.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

And why do the pictures show Noah dressed in Middle-Eastern attire? Simple, that is how the Renaissance-era painters presented him since the Bible is associated with that area of the world. Nobody knows how he dressed but as he was one of the elite of his civilization it was probably quite stylish. Also, as people lived hundreds of years then he would certainly not have looked like an elderly man. At most maybe in his 30s?

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

gkearney wrote: February 18th, 2018, 6:57 pm

But we are told right there in Genesis 7: 2-3, some people just do not pay attention to the story.
There are a lot of amazing things in the scriptures people miss because they don't read them, they just listen (maybe?) in class and think the summary is enough.

I once had a sister who didn't believe me when I told her "wheat for man" is in the Word of Wisdom. She was horrified since she was quite bold in declaring her superiority when it came to eating and advised all far and wide to NEVER eat wheat. LOL

The Old Testament has so much amazing advice for our health: physical, spiritual and mental yet I know so few members who have actually read it. And many who have read it don't remember until I give them references.

Patriot16
captain of 100

Post by Patriot16 »

You scriptorians won't like this and I understand. But the "documentary hypothesis" posits J (Jawist), E (Elohist), D (Deutero- nomist) and P (priestly) threads. Not as popular as it was several generations ago, a number of scholars have proposed alternative theories of composition. Be that as it may, this theory says that, probably at the time of Josiah, our old testament scribes took these oral traditions into account and put them into written form, making sure that different oral traditions were included. For purposes of the flood account, the scribes took the oral Jawist account (two copies), and possibly the P Priestly account (seven copies) and put them together, in that order. Combining meant nothing was lost. This is true of many other segments where there are differing accounts, one after another. The LDS version where the first account is the planning stage and the second is the actual execution stage is clearly not the answer.

Patriot16

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Unfortunately the genetically modified wheat of today in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally is no longer the health food refered to in The Word of Wisdom.
Michelle wrote: February 18th, 2018, 8:55 pm I once had a sister who didn't believe me when I told her "wheat for man" is in the Word of Wisdom. She was horrified since she was quite bold in declaring her superiority when it came to eating and advised all far and wide to NEVER eat wheat. LOL

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Elizabeth wrote: February 19th, 2018, 2:17 am Unfortunately the genetically modified wheat of today in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally is no longer the health food refered to in The Word of Wisdom.
Michelle wrote: February 18th, 2018, 8:55 pm I once had a sister who didn't believe me when I told her "wheat for man" is in the Word of Wisdom. She was horrified since she was quite bold in declaring her superiority when it came to eating and advised all far and wide to NEVER eat wheat. LOL
Ironic as this may have been the reason for the Flood in the first place.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Elizabeth wrote: February 19th, 2018, 2:17 am Unfortunately the genetically modified wheat of today in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally is no longer the health food refered to in The Word of Wisdom.
That, and WGA is what’s bad, not the wheat itself. :idea:
http://gundrymd.com/lectins-definition/ wrote: ... could lectins also be making you sick? Again, the answer is yes, they could be.
Now, let me break it down for you a little more specifically. Let’s take one of the most offensive lectins out there – wheat germ agglutinin (aka WGA):
WGA is pretty good at being a lectin. It happens to do a decent job of protecting wheat from insects, yeast, bacteria, and even people. But, if something’s good at being a lectin, that means it’s bad news for your body.

[image] What is a lectin :?:

In the case of WGA, problems really don’t start to arise until you ingest it, and it starts to mimic your insulin. (1)

But let’s start at the beginning …
(1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1204764/

Whole Grain Goodness is one really bad myth that continues to be promulgated in the quest for greater profits. White flour and white rice were prized and considered superior throughout history for this reason. Tomatoes too are smashed whole, rather than peeled and deseeded to remove the lectins.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Fiannan wrote: February 19th, 2018, 4:08 am
Except it wasn’t the reason for the flood.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

cyclOps wrote: February 19th, 2018, 8:23 am
Please tell me what was then. And if it were just a bunch of Stone Age people being naughty then wouldn't a disease that Noah's family had immunity to been quite enough?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Same thing for corn and soy. Since corn and soy are feed to the beef and chickens we eat, we are effectively eating a bunch of modified food.

Eating modified food in moderation doesn’t work. Some or a lot of issues with obesity and diabetes are caused by food intolerances that we eat.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Arenera wrote: February 19th, 2018, 9:02 am
Same thing for corn and soy. Since corn and soy are feed to the beef and chickens we eat, we are effectively eating a bunch of modified food.

Eating modified food in moderation doesn’t work. Some or a lot of issues with obesity and diabetes are caused by food intolerances that we eat.
Strange, I know a lot of really fit people who eat this food. And while it may be a major factor in rising obesity to have corn syrup added to so many items the ultimate reason for obesity is overeating (gluttony).

One wonders though, why do pigs have so similar DNA as humans? In light of recent news articles on human-animal hybrids being developed in labs one must ask if Jesus was giving us a hint when He said the return would occur when the earth was as it was in the times of Noah.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

cyclOps wrote: February 19th, 2018, 8:23 am
I believe Fiannan is referencing the fact that scriptures (including apocryphal works that we are directed in Doctrine and Covenants my be beneficial IF read with the Spirit.) There have been at least 3 times in history when people are technologically able to destroy themselves because of their knowledge: right before the Flood, at the Tower of Babel and now (or in the very near future.)

It seems that knowledge and technology before the flood included genetic manipulation. The Lord even warns ancient Israel in the Old Testament not to allow their seeds and animals to cross breed. It obviously spells trouble for the people who disobey.

That was obviously not their only sin, but does seem to precede total destruction of a civilization.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Fiannan wrote: February 19th, 2018, 9:09 am
Arenera wrote: February 19th, 2018, 9:02 am

Strange, I know a lot of really fit people who eat this food. And while it may be a major factor in rising obesity to have corn syrup added to so many items the ultimate reason for obesity is overeating (gluttony).

One wonders though, why do pigs have so similar DNA as humans? In light of recent news articles on human-animal hybrids being developed in labs one must ask if Jesus was giving us a hint when He said the return would occur when the earth was as it was in the times of Noah.
You are incorrect on gluttony. Calories in, calories out is a false concept.

dconrad000
Captain of 1000

Post by dconrad000 »

We stay away from all GMO food. About 80% of corn and soy grown in the country is GMO, so you need to be careful if you want to avoid it. On the other hand, at this point in time, GMO wheat is not available to the public. Hybrid wheat, yes. But that is something that has been around for hundreds of years, and that is not the same as GMO wheat.

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com ... -gm-wheat/

Our family goes through about 50 pounds of wheat per month, and has for about the last 20 years. You will not find a healthier family than ours. Our family is living proof that wheat for man (D&C 88) applies today, just as well as it did 150 years ago. The key, however is to avoid allergies and other autoimmune disorders by refusing any and all vaccinations. Then you are not going to get food allergies, including sensitivities to gluten. If it's too late for you and you truly have a sensitivity to gluten, then you may need to avoid wheat, barley, and rye.

http://www.drdaveconrad.com/bio.html