Deleted

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: What are your favorite professional sports teams?

Post by lundbaek »

I don't like watching other people having all the fun. I did football, wrestling and rowing in high school and rowing at university and in a rowing club. I get nostalgic if I watch these sports, and this others I don't care about.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

October Baseball especially when the NL team wins the World Series. I have not watched a jazz game in years but I have become quite enamored by the Jazz the last few weeks.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Deleted

Post by Thinker »

Sports can be healthy & fun & pro sports may be motivating & fun. But I agree that at least it’s often illogical (players themselves are not loyal - getting traded), & if it becomes obsessive or makes people act insane (people have been killed in human stampedes at some pro games), then it becomes evil.

Is NBA Fake? https://youtu.be/7hgSXOXZcS4
Based on biased ref calls, I’ve wondered. And apparently in the 1980’s to avoid lawsuits, many sports were reclassified as "sports entertainment” not just sports. :)

Subcomandante
captain of 1,000

Post by Subcomandante »

I don't really like watching professional athletes in the USA, except for the national soccer team (who look decent this year though they are young - I fully expect them to be bounced in the group stage).

The Qatar World Cup will happen in November. It will be interesting to see who comes out of this as champs. I'm thinking Argentina is finally going to send off Messi with a WC title. Dream would be Portugal vs Argentina in the final though I think Portugal is not going to make it beyond quarters.

My Mexico team is crap this year...we'll be lucky to make it out of the group stage, and even if we do, France will probably be our opponent.

blitzinstripes
captain of 1,000

Post by blitzinstripes »

It's entertainment. Plain and simple. And I coached football for years. Some folks like the movies. Some people are music fans. Sports is just another entertainment venue.

All forms of entertainment can become idolatrous if we allow them.

Moderation in all things.

Enjoying a ball game doesn't make you a heathen any more than enjoying some relaxing music, or a film.