New Moderators on LDSFF (2018)

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: New Moderators on LDSFF

Post by Joel »

BrianM wrote: February 9th, 2018, 2:45 pm Please no public lynching of moderators. If you have a complaint about a moderator, or an action they have taken, please address it with me directly in private and not in public. It is reactions like we've seen on this thread that have caused most moderators to eventually quit moderating (because they end up dealing with too much backlash).

In other words :lol:

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

Due to the public admonition to not pummel, desecrate, demean, or further heap disparaging comments on those poor souls who moderate I had to send my final post to Brian to punctuate what may not have been very obvious in my earlier posts.

Furthermore, I would like to volunteer to be a moderator. Surely it is evident to all that I am a fair and impartial judge of great depth and wisdom and OBJECTIVITY.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

brlenox wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:09 pm Due to the public admonition to not pummel, desecrate, demean, or further heap disparaging comments on those poor souls who moderate I had to send my final post to Brian to punctuate what may not have been very obvious in my earlier posts.

Furthermore, I would like to volunteer to be a moderator. Surely it is evident to all that I am a fair and impartial judge of great depth and wisdom and OBJECTIVITY.
Well, ya got my vote!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I'll endorse brlenox, too.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

BrianM wrote: February 9th, 2018, 2:45 pm Please no public lynching of moderators. If you have a complaint about a moderator, or an action they have taken, please address it with me directly in private and not in public. It is reactions like we've seen on this thread that have caused most moderators to eventually quit moderating (because they end up dealing with too much backlash).
I'm sorry for the virtual rope, tied in a noose which I contributed. It was petty and uncharitable.

In Durzan's defense, he followed up with another PM and therein provided the posts which were reported. Yep, I did get reported and so I received a warning. I can accept that. :?

I also want to say that moderating is a pain in the neck and worse, it's unpaid. I will do my best to support Durzan and Iwritestuff in their quest to moderate the forum. So congrats guys! :)

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

AI2.0 wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:19 pm
I'm sorry for the virtual rope, tied in a noose which I contributed. It was petty and uncharitable.

In Durzan's defense, he followed up with another PM and therein provided the posts which were reported. Yep, I did get reported and so I received a warning. I can accept that. :?

I also want to say that moderating is a pain in the neck and worse, it's unpaid. I will do my best to support Durzan and Iwritestuff in their quest to moderate the forum. So congrats guys! :)
I saw how they did it in the Senate last night.

“My friend, the junior senator from Kentucky”. “My good friend, the republican senator from Kentucky”. That good senator from Kentucky just delayed the vote for 6 hours.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Joel wrote: February 9th, 2018, 2:53 pm

In other words :lol:

Whoa, those are gross pictures!

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

brlenox wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:09 pm Due to the public admonition to not pummel, desecrate, demean, or further heap disparaging comments on those poor souls who moderate I had to send my final post to Brian to punctuate what may not have been very obvious in my earlier posts.

This reads like the opening campaign speech for someone running for the US Senate.

I'll tentatively throw my vote in the ring, since you did such a nice deconstruction of me.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

One final thought concerning moderation in general. In some earlier communication it was apparent that the post's being challenged was one or some that had been posted in outer darkness. When outer darkness was created it was specifically designed to allow a bit more candid interaction. Not saying rudeness or extreme discourtesy, but it was specifically designed for conversations deemed less than standard for the upper echelons. It is apparent that this feature is not understood in some of the recent critiques. Unless something has changed for which I am not aware.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

Durzan wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:39 pm

This reads like the opening campaign speech for someone running for the US Senate.

I'll tentatively throw my vote in the ring, since you did such a nice deconstruction of me.
I'm actually bucking for a new position to be created. Once I prove my inestimable worth, if I am accepted, I hope to become the moderator of only other second tier moderators...you were too much fun to not hope for so glorious an opportunity.

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

brlenox wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:43 pm
Durzan wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:39 pm

I'm actually bucking for a new position to be created. Once I prove my inestimable worth, if I am accepted, I hope to become the moderator of only other second tier moderators...you were too much fun to not hope for so glorious an opportunity.
A new position, huh. Interesting, I had a similar idea... Perhaps a position similar to Board Moderator would work well.

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

EmmaLee wrote: February 9th, 2018, 12:50 pm
eddie wrote: February 9th, 2018, 12:23 pmSilver is in outer darkness.
He was put in 'Outer Darkness' for awhile, but Silver has now, according to Brian, been banned from LDSFF entirely.
What?!? Silver was permanently banned?? Ah man, now I can't win any more precious silver rounds from him... :cry:

Not knowing the situation, I vote Brian give him one more chance to prove himself on the condition that he create a new account, name it Gold, and do a gold giveaway contest. How does that little song go? Make new friends and keep the old, one is Silver and the other's Gold. 8-)

In all seriousness though, I do think brlenox would make a good moderator based upon my observations... but then again is he really a sheep, or a wolf, or a sheep,...?

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Onsdag wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:55 pm What?!? Silver was permanently banned?? Ah man, now I can't win any more precious silver rounds from him... :cry:

Not knowing the situation, I vote Brian give him one more chance to prove himself...
He had a lot of chances. And after I sent him to Outer Darkness he only got worse.

I was not jumping at the chance to ban someone who understands Trump is not as great as many people think he is (we need more people like that). But I can only give so many warnings.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Onsdag wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Not knowing the situation, I vote Brian give him one more chance to prove himself on the condition that he create a new account, name it Gold, and do a gold giveaway contest. How does that little song go? Make new friends and keep the old, one is Silver and the other's Gold. 8-)

#freegold

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

iWriteStuff wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Well, ya got my vote!

I second that, Brlenox would be a great moderator. :)

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

It's been a while since I've been warned.

I wonder if my odds just changed.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

EmmaLee wrote: February 9th, 2018, 2:50 pm
eddie wrote: February 9th, 2018, 2:30 pm
iWriteStuff wrote: February 9th, 2018, 1:52 pm
inho wrote: February 9th, 2018, 1:45 pm
Can the moderators send people to OD?
I just looked around for the "Thrust Down to Outer Darkness, Where There Shall Be Weeping and Gnashing of Teeth" button and didn't find one. Pretty sure that's a Brian thing too. HA! Theres that personality, it makes things light hearted, I like that. ( I am brown-nosing iwrite now that he's a moderator) :P

Warning posters, editing threads, deleting threads, locking threads, and posting snarky memes. Those are the allotted powers. (Memes optional)
brown.png
Hahahahaha!

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

brlenox wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:40 pm One final thought concerning moderation in general. In some earlier communication it was apparent that the post's being challenged was one or some that had been posted in outer darkness. When outer darkness was created it was specifically designed to allow a bit more candid interaction. Not saying rudeness or extreme discourtesy, but it was specifically designed for conversations deemed less than standard for the upper echelons. It is apparent that this feature is not understood in some of the recent critiques. Unless something has changed for which I am not aware.
This is a good idea that you posted. Good job.

I was thinking too that some people are going to raise heck...on certain issues. They could also close some topics. I saw that people were really trying to force the MPP thread when it was clear it would just cause more fighting. And people needed help letting it go.

And what do you do when someone isn't fighting but is forcing a thread and issue that is going to cause someone else to fight? Or for people that are bringing ideas you know are false? The agency theme answer doesn't work as a save all for this either, because people see that anarchy creates a hell ll situation.

One of the examples to bring this up...my parents with my brother sometimes have this thing where they want to be so nice to both sides that they are trying to agree with the person circulating false ideas and saying something like...your sibling isn't evil but just misguided. He's a nice guy, when he's outright doing wrong. Or if he stole something...which he's not good at property ownership issues and to cover it up they go buy it for him to cover the lie, or refuse to ask him not to steal not realizing they are feeding the habit of future theft. Sometimes they'd do stuff like this where they thought they could be on both sides and pretend he'll become a good person if they don't nag him and that nagging was the bigger sin. And it doesn't work.

One more thing my parental units would do is by trying to side with both sides they'd often end up putting the evil side first in disputes. They'd want to play nice so much that they wouldn't clearly admit there's a 'victim' and an 'aggressor'. But when you bring them to the table only the honest one is going to honor the cease fire terms. The aggressor is going to wait for them to look the other way and betting on them to forget about it, and resume the territorial acquisitions again. So by refusing to see this the victim gets hit a second time by sanctions. And evil gets put ahead of good.

(I'm still waiting for the software updates to be downloaded and take effect in these two parental units. They are really wonderful units but just have a lot of kinks to work out. It's getting harder to find software compatible with their systems though.)

Another thing they'd do too is always believe him that it was always the friends fault when he got caught. ANd i kept thinking why do you keep believing that when the friends have all moved away and he's still doing it. And you know...there's always this excuse that its the friends fault. You'd think they'd get it after awhile that it can't be the friend all the time after like xx years of that excuse.

Well I'm not trying to force any decision. I'm just saying that sometimes its complicated. And you don't always know right away the best way to handle something.

I think brinigng in a moderator is a good idea. Good job to the people involved and accepting. (Let's close that MPP thread up too which caused so many fights.)

Durzan

Post by Durzan »

brian closed it not too long ago... unless you are talking about the one in outer darkness, which is still open last i checked.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Since we're being all introspective about things, could we start banning any references to sex robots? Maybe create an opt-in thread (any reference to such will automatically re-route to an opt-in thread). We can get creative with this. PLEASE??? Am I going to get a warning for this??? :shock:

I don't even wanna know.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

ajax wrote: February 9th, 2018, 8:36 am
Arenera wrote: February 9th, 2018, 8:33 am
ajax wrote: February 9th, 2018, 8:25 am
Vision wrote: February 9th, 2018, 6:47 am AJAX FOR PRESIDENT
I accept. Vision - 1st Counselor
brlenox wrote:

Here!! Here!!
brlenox - 2nd Counselor

As all can see, I take care of those who support me.

And let it be known to all: I promise to give authority back when this crisis is over.
Why is it only men are considered...
Wait, Vision and brlenox are men? [Insert Obrien's favorite curse word here].
Not to worry ... I am actually a Unicorn. Please see JBALM for definition.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Crackers wrote: February 9th, 2018, 6:12 pm Since we're being all introspective about things, could we start banning any references to sex robots? Maybe create an opt-in thread (any reference to such will automatically re-route to an opt-in thread). We can get creative with this. PLEASE??? Am I going to get a warning for this??? :shock:

I don't even wanna know.
Well I'm not a decision maker on this but there's this thing called the context of the message.

Like what if we're talking about Sodom and Gomorrah in general but not describing scenes taking place. What if Sodom and Gomorrah had sex robots....well there was probably some sacrifice of animals and children in some of those canaanite cities, but that's a different story.

IF you aren't talking about specific acts its just identifying evil. The scriptures identify evils but don't go into them. But some cases like secret combinations they do a little censorship and say....let not this be taught among the people instead just tell the Nephites that the Jaredites had problems with wickedness, abominations, and murder.

But identifying something as being wicked or evil is important in curbing it. This is why people get so mad when you tell them something is wrong. They will even be a bit vengeful for awhile but it really can help in pulling them away from it. I think part of the reason people get so mad about 'judging them' isn't that we're really judging anyone but because its identified that something is a danger to yourself and your spirit and that its causing harm. So they put up this thing of 'stop judging me' but you never really were judging anyone, you were just seeing something in black and white for what it is and not sugarcoating anything. And then they want to keep rewriting other rules to make other people make everything backwards just for them too. So they don't stop there, but just keep waging war against all that is good.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

brlenox wrote: February 9th, 2018, 6:48 pm
ajax wrote: February 9th, 2018, 8:36 am
Arenera wrote: February 9th, 2018, 8:33 am
ajax wrote: February 9th, 2018, 8:25 am

I accept. Vision - 1st Counselor

brlenox - 2nd Counselor

As all can see, I take care of those who support me.

And let it be known to all: I promise to give authority back when this crisis is over.
Why is it only men are considered...
Wait, Vision and brlenox are men? [Insert Obrien's favorite curse word here].
Not to worry ... I am actually a Unicorn. Please see JBALM for definition.
Does this mean you'd have to be released from the newly formed Ajax Presidency?

Shucks, truly many are called but few are chosen :(

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

Heck no, I've got four callings now - couple more won't matter.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

gardener4life wrote: February 9th, 2018, 7:14 pm
Crackers wrote: February 9th, 2018, 6:12 pm Since we're being all introspective about things, could we start banning any references to sex robots? Maybe create an opt-in thread (any reference to such will automatically re-route to an opt-in thread). We can get creative with this. PLEASE??? Am I going to get a warning for this??? :shock:

I don't even wanna know.
Well I'm not a decision maker on this but there's this thing called the context of the message.

Like what if we're talking about Sodom and Gomorrah in general but not describing scenes taking place. What if Sodom and Gomorrah had sex robots....well there was probably some sacrifice of animals and children in some of those canaanite cities, but that's a different story.

IF you aren't talking about specific acts its just identifying evil. The scriptures identify evils but don't go into them. But some cases like secret combinations they do a little censorship and say....let not this be taught among the people instead just tell the Nephites that the Jaredites had problems with wickedness, abominations, and murder.

But identifying something as being wicked or evil is important in curbing it. This is why people get so mad when you tell them something is wrong. They will even be a bit vengeful for awhile but it really can help in pulling them away from it. I think part of the reason people get so mad about 'judging them' isn't that we're really judging anyone but because its identified that something is a danger to yourself and your spirit and that its causing harm. So they put up this thing of 'stop judging me' but you never really were judging anyone, you were just seeing something in black and white for what it is and not sugarcoating anything. And then they want to keep rewriting other rules to make other people make everything backwards just for them too. So they don't stop there, but just keep waging war against all that is good.
some words bring out the prude in me, I think I prefer semi-sentient hedonistic devices.