Where should I road trip from Utah Valley?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Where should I road trip from Utah Valley?

Post by brianj »

In the spirit of Celestial Angel's question about SoCal, I'll ask my own. Where, within maybe six hours of Provo, would you recommend I visit? I have to take nine days off before the end of March or I'll lose the paid time off, and at this time I don't want to spend the money to fly somewhere.

Having lived near Seattle, I've taken enough trips along I-84 that I don't want to visit Twin Falls or Boise. And I've been to Las Vegas plenty of times. And I've been to Rexburg, Yellowstone, Zion, and Bryce. I'm planning a trip to the Trinity Site in April and will hit Moab on that trip. I've thought about a circuit to Wendover and Ely or a trip to Steamboat.

Where else can you all recommend?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Re: Where should I road trip from Utah Valley?

Post by Arenera »

brianj wrote: February 7th, 2018, 10:42 pm In the spirit of Celestial Angel's question about SoCal, I'll ask my own. Where, within maybe six hours of Provo, would you recommend I visit? I have to take nine days off before the end of March or I'll lose the paid time off, and at this time I don't want to spend the money to fly somewhere.

Having lived near Seattle, I've taken enough trips along I-84 that I don't want to visit Twin Falls or Boise. And I've been to Las Vegas plenty of times. And I've been to Rexburg, Yellowstone, Zion, and Bryce. I'm planning a trip to the Trinity Site in April and will hit Moab on that trip. I've thought about a circuit to Wendover and Ely or a trip to Steamboat.

You may want to take a few days on a trip to Moab. See Dead Horse Point: https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/dead-horse/

You can drive over the mountain from Moab to Escalante, The mountain road is very nice.

3 hours east of Provo is Vernal. There you can see Dinosaur National Monument. https://www.nps.gov/dino/index.htm

If you go north from Vernal, you can go to Flaming Gorge Dam. https://utah.com/flaming-gorge

Have you been to Canyonlands? https://www.visitutah.com/places-to-go/ ... gK8wvD_BwE

There is a lot you can do in Utah.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

brianj wrote: February 7th, 2018, 10:42 pm In the spirit of Celestial Angel's question about SoCal, I'll ask my own. Where, within maybe six hours of Provo, would you recommend I visit? I have to take nine days off before the end of March or I'll lose the paid time off, and at this time I don't want to spend the money to fly somewhere.

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is about that far away.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

3-4 nights: Bear Lake
3-4 nights: Grand Teton National Park

I also like Alaris’s suggestion about grand canyon - hike it! I did and it was amazing - but only if you like hiking/camping.

Btw, Brian - you’re in my neck of the woods... and I understand the need to visit other parts like arms and legs of the woods. :)

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Come up US 40 and pass my place on your way to Steamboat. It's beautiful and there are a lot of great things there to doo and see. Head south through Glenwood Springs to Delta and go to Mesa Verde. It is phenomenal, well worth visiting.
>
>
>
Me Mesa.jpg
Me Mesa.jpg (171.55 KiB) Viewed 5296 times
Wow - That's certainly a very young me.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

skmo wrote: February 8th, 2018, 4:11 pm Come up US 40 and pass my place on your way to Steamboat. It's beautiful and there are a lot of great things there to doo and see. Head south through Glenwood Springs to Delta and go to Mesa Verde. It is phenomenal, well worth visiting.
>
>
>
Me Mesa.jpg

Wow - That's certainly a very young me.
When did you move SKMO?

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

eddie wrote: February 8th, 2018, 4:12 pmWhen did you move SKMO?
I moved to CO when I was 7, in 1971. I lived there until I went on my mission in 1983. I've been teaching in Alaska until 2015 when I moved to Utah.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

Y'all need to get yourselves a Daytripper.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

There’s a cool campground south of Saint George; I’ve always enjoyed Cascade Springs, but may be too chill now. Devil’s playground is north of Wendover, and good if you want to escape people and highway 30 comes back through Snowville.

Francis peak is a fun drive from the Bountiful temple, but prolly snowed-in before mid-June. Maybe take the old pony express route to Wendover. Geocaching.com is great for getting ideas of places to explore.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

skmo wrote: February 8th, 2018, 6:46 pm
eddie wrote: February 8th, 2018, 4:12 pmWhen did you move SKMO?
I moved to CO when I was 7, in 1971. I lived there until I went on my mission in 1983. I've been teaching in Alaska until 2015 when I moved to Utah.
I hope it was a good move and you are happy!

LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

Post by LucianAMD »

Lots of good hikes down in Moab. I love doing day trips down there and it is usually perfect weather in March.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

What type of adventure are you looking for? Southern Utah and surrounding areas are paradise if you like camping and hiking, and I can offer more suggestions if you want to go that route. I think the north rim of the GC will still be closed for the winter, though that is a great summer choice. If you're not looking for anything too hard core, the kanab area has some interesting options, including some scenic drives, light hiking, Pipe Springs Ntl Monument, Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, Coral Pink Sand Dunes....

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Ooh, and then from Kanab, drive up 89 and head east through Red Canyon, see Kodachrome SP, and continue on hwy 12, stopping at sites along the way. It's a beautiful drive and you can take Hell's Backbone Rd as an alternative near Boulder. Capital Reef from there and maybe continue north through the San Rafael Swell, but watch your gas levels throughout. Can you tell I'm feeling an itch?

paid2play
captain of 10

Post by paid2play »

havasupai is one of the trips I'd like to make, if you like to hike and want to see waterfalls

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm actually planning two road trips. I'm not in shape for serious hiking or backpacking, though I'm trying to get there. I would also like to visit Havasupai Falls, but if I tried doing it next month I wouldn't be able to get myself out of the canyon.

For March I'm thinking of renting a car one way for Moab -> Durango -> Telluride -> Leadville -> Denver, then Amtrak to Provo.

Since I'm free the first Saturday of April I'm thinking Kanab -> Flagstaff -> either Albuquerque or Socorro -> Trinity Site -> home.
CelestialAngel wrote: February 9th, 2018, 1:43 pm I've always wanted to go to Seattle or Oregon.
If you go, go in July or August. Bring a passport. The San Juan Islands north of Seattle are beautiful and Victoria, BC is a must visit.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

brianj wrote: February 9th, 2018, 8:12 pm Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm actually planning two road trips. I'm not in shape for serious hiking or backpacking, though I'm trying to get there. I would also like to visit Havasupai Falls, but if I tried doing it next month I wouldn't be able to get myself out of the canyon.

For March I'm thinking of renting a car one way for Moab -> Durango -> Telluride -> Leadville -> Denver, then Amtrak to Provo.

Since I'm free the first Saturday of April I'm thinking Kanab -> Flagstaff -> either Albuquerque or Socorro -> Trinity Site -> home.
CelestialAngel wrote: February 9th, 2018, 1:43 pm I've always wanted to go to Seattle or Oregon.
If you go, go in July or August. Bring a passport. The San Juan Islands north of Seattle are beautiful and Victoria, BC is a must visit.
If you do go to Durango, spend a day and take the steam train to Silverton. Have lunch there, then the train comes back.

Also if you take Amtrak be sure to check that what you are getting is train, and not bus. They do a lot of busing, because the train doesn't actually go to some places.

And, on Amtrak, get the sleeper berth. That includes meals in the dining car. Which is worth it.
dc

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote: February 9th, 2018, 9:59 pm
brianj wrote: February 9th, 2018, 8:12 pm Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm actually planning two road trips. I'm not in shape for serious hiking or backpacking, though I'm trying to get there. I would also like to visit Havasupai Falls, but if I tried doing it next month I wouldn't be able to get myself out of the canyon.

If you do go to Durango, spend a day and take the steam train to Silverton. Have lunch there, then the train comes back.

Also if you take Amtrak be sure to check that what you are getting is train, and not bus. They do a lot of busing, because the train doesn't actually go to some places.

And, on Amtrak, get the sleeper berth. That includes meals in the dining car. Which is worth it.
dc
The Silverton line won't be open yet so I am planning on the Cascade Canyon route.

Regarding Amtrak, I have taken long day trips in coach and overnight trips in sleepers. Considering that I'll be boarding at about 8 and getting off 13 hours later, I don't expect to be sleeping so I'm not confident a sleeper is worth the price.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

brianj,

Have you been on these trips yet? How did they go?

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

The Manti Templehttps://www.google.com/search?q=photos+ ... 50&bih=617. This sealing room was used as a Holy of Holies before Salt Lake Temple was finishedhttps://www.google.com/search?q=photos+ ... HLtu_E-7M:. Also minerva teichert manti temple muralshttps://www.google.com/search?q=minerva ... 50&bih=617 Pioneer spiral staircase and more. Truly a stunningly beautiful and spiritually precious place.

gigarath24
captain of 100

Post by gigarath24 »

Texas, because it's God's country and why would you want to be anywhere else but Texas?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Crackers wrote: April 6th, 2018, 6:02 pm brianj,

I totally forgot to update you all!

Sorry, I didn't road trip all the way to Texas, though I am in New Mexico right now.

Last month I used the vacation I would have otherwise lost on a trip to Arches National Park, then to Durango. While in Durango I rode the train to Cascade Canyon and thoroughly enjoyed it. The following day I drove through Silverton and Montrose enroute to Leadville, then on to Denver. After returning my rental car and spending the night, I took Amtrak's California Zephyr to Provo.

The route from Durango to Montrose was definitely the most beautiful part of the road trip, but there were some amazing canyons the train went through that don't have roads. In one of these we had to stop so the engineer and conductor could remove fallen rocks from the tracks! Then we had a long wait east of Glenwood Canyon for a rock slide to be cleared from the tracks.

Thursday I drove to Flagstaff and spent a long time at the Lowell Observatory. Today I visited Meteor Crater, stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona (where nobody took a look at me), and visited the Very Large Array enroute to Socorro. Tomorrow morning I visit the Trinity Site then see how far back I make it.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

kirtland r.m. wrote: April 6th, 2018, 6:15 pm The Manti Templehttps://www.google.com/search?q=photos+ ... 50&bih=617. This sealing room was used as a Holy of Holies before Salt Lake Temple was finishedhttps://www.google.com/search?q=photos+ ... HLtu_E-7M:. Also minerva teichert manti temple muralshttps://www.google.com/search?q=minerva ... 50&bih=617 Pioneer spiral staircase and more. Truly a stunningly beautiful and spiritually precious place.
I did visit the Manti Temple as a day trip earlier in March. It is really beautiful! I particularly liked having pews instead of individual chairs.

When I got to the Celestial Room, everybody else in the group promptly exited. I don't understand why people don't linger.

I did find something looking like a sealing room, but very different, and in a beautiful shade of blue. I had previously heard there would be a barrier so I couldn't enter. I was pleasantly surprised to find this wasn't the case, so I could step inside and see the detail above and around the altar.

And I can't tell you exactly why, but I'm not convinced the word "was" is appropriate. I get the impression this room is still occasionally used for its intended purpose.

I want to go back to this temple, but it's a long enough trip that I want to have someone to share driving with.

SAM
captain of 100

Post by SAM »

brianj wrote: April 6th, 2018, 9:52 pm
Crackers wrote: April 6th, 2018, 6:02 pm brianj,

I totally forgot to update you all!

Sorry, I didn't road trip all the way to Texas, though I am in New Mexico right now.

Last month I used the vacation I would have otherwise lost on a trip to Arches National Park, then to Durango. While in Durango I rode the train to Cascade Canyon and thoroughly enjoyed it. The following day I drove through Silverton and Montrose enroute to Leadville, then on to Denver. After returning my rental car and spending the night, I took Amtrak's California Zephyr to Provo.

The route from Durango to Montrose was definitely the most beautiful part of the road trip, but there were some amazing canyons the train went through that don't have roads. In one of these we had to stop so the engineer and conductor could remove fallen rocks from the tracks! Then we had a long wait east of Glenwood Canyon for a rock slide to be cleared from the tracks.

Thursday I drove to Flagstaff and spent a long time at the Lowell Observatory. Today I visited Meteor Crater, stood on a corner in Winslow Arizona (where nobody took a look at me), and visited the Very Large Array enroute to Socorro. Tomorrow morning I visit the Trinity Site then see how far back I make it.
I'm in Durango right now, but headed back home tomorrow. We mostly came here to see Mesa Verde, but Durango is beautiful and charming! Wish I had known about the steam train options ahead of time. That would have been a fun thing to add to our trip. Glad you enjoyed AZ. Flagstaff is one of my favorite places. We're headed back home to So AZ tomorrow.

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

gigarath24 wrote: April 6th, 2018, 8:59 pm Texas, because it's God's country and why would you want to be anywhere else but Texas?
Good grief. You Texicans are all the same ;)

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I believe SLC airport is easily within 6 hours of Provo.
Get on a plane to Yorkshire.