When Spandex Attacks!

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

When Spandex Attacks!

Post by iWriteStuff »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring you The Beginning of The End:
beginningoftheend.jpg
beginningoftheend.jpg (48.61 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
Modest is no longer hottest. But leggings sure are!

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: When Spandex Attacks!

Post by ajax »

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

At least they are knee length, no matter how many nooks and crannies are revealed.

Put a little mark over the right knee, and we've got an all purpose winner!

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

iWriteStuff wrote: February 7th, 2018, 2:12 pm Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring you The Beginning of The End:

beginningoftheend.jpg

Modest is no longer hottest. But leggings sure are!
I am so triggered. What about plus-size models? Someone call the local feminists.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Holy Cow, those are awesome. Thanks for the link! I'm going to get me some

Not. ;)

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I would have assumed those leggings violate the BYU Honor Code (because they are so tight-fitting).

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

BrianM wrote: February 8th, 2018, 2:12 pm I would have assumed those leggings violate the BYU Honor Code (because they are so tight-fitting).
That was the shocker to me. Not only are they allowed and advertised, they emphasized the "leggings" right in the header of the email!

Someone explain to me the difference between those "leggings" and the spandex worn by the dancing girls of In Living Color, circa 1994:
inlivingcolor.jpg
inlivingcolor.jpg (10.51 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Anyone recognize J-Lo on the left? Yeah, she's enrolling at the Wilk this week ;)

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Does the Provo campus of BYU even have a dress code anymore? If so, I sure couldn't tell last time I walked around that campus. The girls were dressed just the same as they are on the college campuses out here in the real world.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

EmmaLee wrote: February 8th, 2018, 3:27 pm Does the Provo campus of BYU even have a dress code anymore? If so, I sure couldn't tell last time I walked around that campus. The girls were dressed just the same as they are on the college campuses out here in the real world.
Funny you should ask! A quick search yielded this:
Women

A clean and well-cared-for appearance should be maintained. Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, strapless, backless, or revealing; has slits above the knee; or is form fitting. Dresses, skirts, and shorts must be knee-length or longer. Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extremes in styles or colors. Excessive ear piercing (more than one per ear) and all other body piercing are not acceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas.
https://policy.byu.edu/view/index.php?p=26&s=s1165

Are leggings form fitting? I bet you couldn't smuggle a nickel in those leggings without everyone knowing it.

But I'm just an old fashioned prude I guess. And besides, 20% off!!! That's huge!!!! :o

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

iWriteStuff wrote: February 8th, 2018, 3:31 pm
EmmaLee wrote: February 8th, 2018, 3:27 pm Does the Provo campus of BYU even have a dress code anymore? If so, I sure couldn't tell last time I walked around that campus. The girls were dressed just the same as they are on the college campuses out here in the real world.
Women

A clean and well-cared-for appearance should be maintained. Clothing is inappropriate when it is sleeveless, strapless, backless, or revealing; has slits above the knee; or is form fitting. Dresses, skirts, and shorts must be knee-length or longer. Hairstyles should be clean and neat, avoiding extremes in styles or colors. Excessive ear piercing (more than one per ear) and all other body piercing are not acceptable. Shoes should be worn in all public campus areas.

Are leggings form fitting? I bet you couldn't smuggle a nickel in those leggings without everyone knowing it.

But I'm just an old fashioned prude I guess. And besides, 20% off!!! That's huge!!!! :o
Truly hilarious! There is no clothing more form-fitting than leggings, lol. Ah, the hypocrisy and double-standards. While at BYU-Idaho, our sons were only allowed to wear the shorts $old by the $chool on campu$ (like in the gym and to play sports), which were WAY shorter than the shorts they wore off-campus (which were knee-length). The BYU-approved shorts are so short, they were not able to wear garments with them.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

When my daughter was at BYU in the late 90's, they tried to make a rule that the girls could not wear the strap of their backpacks or purses diagonally across the front of their bodies, as it defined their chest area too much. However, multiple earrings were fine. She had 5 piercings total in her ears, which didn't even raise an eyebrow on campus.

Btw, the diagonal strap rule didn't last long. And now BYU is promoting leggings, but an extra piercing will cause all heck to come down on you. So weird.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

ajax wrote: February 7th, 2018, 2:47 pm If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

At least they are knee length, no matter how many nooks and crannies are revealed.

I can't believe you said that....

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

More could be said against men who wear skinny jeans than women who wear leggings.

http://web-images.chacha.com/images/Gal ... 00x755.jpg

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

eddie wrote: February 8th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Well believe it my friend. And believe this: Leggings are proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

ajax wrote: February 9th, 2018, 8:27 am
eddie wrote: February 8th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Well believe it my friend. And believe this: Leggings are proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Ha! Lowering standards never has been and never will be happiness, but I think you know that. I always like your posts, you have a quick wit.

RocknRoll
captain of 100

Post by RocknRoll »

Some on this thread...

Well, I Never!
Attachments
Well_I_Never.jpg
Well_I_Never.jpg (68.17 KiB) Viewed 1106 times

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

I couldn't care less what people at the Church schools wear or don't wear (it's the crap that gets taught in the classes that bugs me). Some consistency would be nice though - as in, if they're going to have a 'dress code', it should be the exact same for ALL the BYU schools - not a different code for the Provo campus than the Rexburg campus, for example. Another inconsistency and double-standard - the Provo BYU allows Muslim students to wear beards on campus, but Mormons can't?? What's that about?? Double-standards, inconsistency, hypocrisy - all worse than leggings, shorts, beards, and piercings.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

EmmaLee wrote: February 9th, 2018, 2:15 pm I couldn't care less what people at the Church schools wear or don't wear (it's the crap that gets taught in the classes that bugs me). Some consistency would be nice though - as in, if they're going to have a 'dress code', it should be the exact same for ALL the BYU schools - not a different code for the Provo campus than the Rexburg campus, for example. Another inconsistency and double-standard - the Provo BYU allows Muslim students to wear beards on campus, but Mormons can't?? What's that about?? Double-standards, inconsistency, hypocrisy - all worse than leggings, shorts, beards, and piercings.
I think I can second the notion of standardizing the dress code across the BYU campuses. BYUI has this stupid no shorts rule.

And allowing muslims to wear beards isn't exactly a double standard. We have an unofficial no-beard mandate in the church. the Muslims do not; in fact, they may have religious reasons for having a beard. Thus, the issue falls under state and/or federal non-discrimination codes.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

EmmaLee wrote: February 9th, 2018, 2:15 pm I couldn't care less what people at the Church schools wear or don't wear (it's the crap that gets taught in the classes that bugs me). Some consistency would be nice though - as in, if they're going to have a 'dress code', it should be the exact same for ALL the BYU schools - not a different code for the Provo campus than the Rexburg campus, for example. Another inconsistency and double-standard - the Provo BYU allows Muslim students to wear beards on campus, but Mormons can't?? What's that about?? Double-standards, inconsistency, hypocrisy - all worse than leggings, shorts, beards, and piercings.
Do they still have "beard cards"? Seems to me I recall there being a proviso wherein brethren could petition for the right to grow a beard if they had sensitive skin or something.... or maybe just wanted to, I dunno.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to be under-dressed in Rexburg anyway.
cold.jpg
cold.jpg (13.05 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Durzan wrote: February 9th, 2018, 2:23 pm
I think I can second the notion of standardizing the dress code across the BYU campuses. BYUI has this stupid no shorts rule.

And allowing muslims to wear beards isn't exactly a double standard. We have an unofficial no-beard mandate in the church. the Muslims do not; in fact, they may have religious reasons for having a beard. Thus, the issue falls under state and/or federal non-discrimination codes.
We have an unofficial no-beard mandate in the Church? Somebody better tell about 1/2 the active men in our ward then, lol. It is a double-standard when it comes to allowing some men to wear beards on campus, but not others (dou·ble stand·ard noun: a rule or principle that is unfairly applied in different ways to different people or groups.). It should be all or nothing, IMO - regardless of the religious persuasions of the person wearing the beard (what's good for the goose, is good for the gander, type thing). Seems rather idiotic to me that Christ himself wouldn't be allowed to attend the Church schools or be a temple worker, etc. It's just as idiotic to have different dress codes for Provo/Rexburg.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Wait! I loved being on the BYU-Idaho campus with a dress code, it was nice to see young women who represent the church dressing in a modest and dignified manner. One day Pres. Hinckley was coming and all the students wore their Sunday clothes, it was impressive!

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

iWriteStuff wrote: February 9th, 2018, 2:25 pm
Do they still have "beard cards"? Seems to me I recall there being a proviso wherein brethren could petition for the right to grow a beard if they had sensitive skin or something.... or maybe just wanted to, I dunno.

Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to be under-dressed in Rexburg anyway.

cold.jpg
Yes, I believe you can have a "short" beard if you have a note from your doctor - which is just hilarious to me. And yes, too right about wanting plenty of clothing in the 'burg! :o :P

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

iWriteStuff wrote: February 9th, 2018, 2:25 pm

cold.jpg

It's somewhere, the 'handbook' or something. It says something about a medical exception.

The policy in the church against beards is no beards on a mission. Previously no beards at BYU, but I think they changed that. And, no beards to work in the Temple.

It was something new, as Brigham Young and others up to about 1960 or so had facial hair. Then this no beard fetish began and spread.

However, the tide may now be turning back, as I believe beards are now allowed for BYU students (male only, I hope).

To my knowledge the anti beard fetish only spills over to Sacrament meeting and the general membership in an informal or cultural way. However, Bishops have to be married, and no beard.

I don't know about other callings. I have a beard and a calling, so ...

dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

CelestialAngel wrote: February 9th, 2018, 3:18 pm I am a straight single male who enjoys good looking girls wearing leggings. I'm a simple person, but I think people want to look attractive.
CA
I think the big issue here is, attractive, or suggestive, lurid, provocative, etc. Which is it?
dc

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

iWriteStuff wrote: February 8th, 2018, 3:31 pm
Women

Prude always reminds me of the word "prudent."
pru·dent
[ˈpro͞odnt]
ADJECTIVE
acting with or showing care and thought for the future:
Not exactly an insult, eh?

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

RocknRoll wrote: February 9th, 2018, 1:44 pm Some on this thread...

Well, I Never!
Me, My Mom, My Sister!

I haven't seen this picture in years! How did you get a hold of it?!? ;)

Edit:

Bummer, way to ruin a joke. RocknRoll's picture doesn't show when I quote him. :(