I don't need to spell out why this is dangerous.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
ChelC
The Law

I don't need to spell out why this is dangerous.

Post by ChelC »

http://60minutes.yahoo.com/segment/21/memory_drug

I'm sure this will be heavily promoted and anyone who is hesitant will be considered an evil heartless fiend who doesn't want to help those suffering from trauma.

Sometimes memory of a bad experience is good because it can help to strengthen our desire to reform society. It can help us to assure proper justice. It can be a tool for us in many ways. It sickens me to think of how this might be misused.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I had a good friend who's life was damaged for many years by his experiences and observations in war, which included stopping a sniper's bullet in a jungle, shrapnel in his body, seeing shattered and deliberately decapitated and mutilated bodies, and other horrors of close combat. The memories nearly destroyed his marriage and limited his ability to provide for his family, especially in their younger years. I've been acquainted with other men who were shell shocked and suffered considerably from the memories of war. I believe they would have enjoyed better lives and provided better for their families if they could have been relieved of their traumas.