Any interest in (optional) paid LDSFF ad-free experience?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Would you pay for an ad-free experience on LDSFF?

Yes
9%
No
81%
Maybe
9%

Total votes: 32
creator
(of the Forum)

Any interest in (optional) paid LDSFF ad-free experience?

Post by creator »

People sometimes complain about the ads on LDSFF but that is how I cover the associated expenses of running the site.

It would be possible to create an option for a paid ad-free experience. Let me know if that would be of interest to you and what it would be worth to you (monthly/yearly). *It would be an optional thing.. basically if you pay then you won't see ads.

Would love to get input, comments, suggestions, ideas..

UPDATE: As mentioned here, for now, if you're using the new 2018 design you won't see the Google Ads. Only users that are not logged in (or still using the old design) will see the ads.

I'll see if the Ad revenue from just non-member site visitors is sufficient.

Also, please consider supporting the forum by contributing here: http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/support/

Thanks.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Any interest in paid LDSFF ad-free experience?

Post by Mark »

BrianM wrote: January 27th, 2018, 10:28 am People sometimes complain about the ads on LDSFF but that is how I cover the associated expenses of running the site.

It would be possible to create an option for a paid ad-free experience. Let me know if that would be of interest to you and what it would be worth to you (monthly/yearly).

One word (or maybe 4): AVOW. :lol:

commonwealth
captain of 100

Post by commonwealth »

I don't mind the ads, but when they cover up parts of the site so you can't click on links, that's a little too "in your face."

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

commonwealth wrote: January 27th, 2018, 11:32 am I don't mind the ads, but when they cover up parts of the site so you can't click on links, that's a little too "in your face."
It only covers up part of the site if you haven't cleared your browser cache.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Mark wrote: January 27th, 2018, 10:35 amOne word (or maybe 4): AVOW. :lol:
Not quite. It would be optional to pay. And if you pay then you won't see the ads. Or it could be done where if enough people contributed then none of the logged in users would see ads.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

I use ad blockers. I don't see any of the ads on this site.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Brian, would this also apply to cell phones and other devices? I don't mind ads browsing from my computer, but seeing the way ads are inserted on my cell phone are annoying.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

BrianM
There are other sites out there that have a donation drive usually every January to establish the budget for the year. For a good forum like this I think you would be able to cover the year with what is donated.
However, I do think it is also a good idea to allow a paid subscription which would mean no ads, and maybe also other features only for paid subscribers, maybe a market place or something that they don't want any non member to get into (security).
Another good site uses paid commercial fees and then just places a thread that features that business. Tells where they are, what they do, etc., so that anyone interested gets sort of an optional ad for them.
Then they also have a separate section for those commercial enterprise/members.

Finally, there is a giant site I visit, fantastic amount of paid subscribers, market place, and all kinds of activities all around the state that is partially paid by the subscribers. That one is just a big business that supports the owner in fair style, I think.

So there are many solutions out there. You're the boss. Lay it down for them.
dc

I guess I should also add ... this is my favorite site.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

I've never been bothered by your minimal number of ads. Not sure you'd make much money from people who pay to have them blocked. But it may be worth the experiment . . . to see if you get enuf income to offset cost in time/money of changing your site configuration.

I think leaving the site open for browsing by the world is a significant plus. It makes your site a true information dissemination source or broker, with anywhere from 400 to 900 nonregistered users at any time.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

I manage a forum and implemented a pay plan years ago. We charge $10 for six month, $15 for one year and $30 for three years. We have many who gladly pay and others who remain without paying. We do add some privileges for paying members that non-paying members simply cannot get.

As for ad blockers, frankly -- I block the ones using ad blockers. More and more sites are having to do this. The Internet is not free, though many people aren't aware of that.

Small, honest operators like Brian face not only costs in hosting but HUGE costs in security and fighting spammers, hackers and trolls. These things not only take constant work, regular updates and ongoing vigilance they require HUGE amounts of time.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

As mentioned here, for now, if you're using the new 2018 design you won't see the Google Ads. Only users that are not logged in (or still using the old design) will see the ads.

Also, please consider supporting the forum by contributing here: http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/support/

Thanks.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Advertisements do not worry me, I just ignore them.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 30th, 2018, 4:44 pm When on my phone this site has given me a virus on multiple occasions.
That's weird, I have never had a problem with this site and viruses.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 30th, 2018, 4:44 pm When on my phone this site has given me a virus on multiple occasions.
Doubtful. What you're calling a "virus" was likely something else non-malicious.

Or do you have proof? Because I would take that very seriously. But again, highly unlikely (or the whole site would have been infected and I would have known about it and resolved it).

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

BrianM wrote: January 27th, 2018, 10:28 am People sometimes complain about the ads on LDSFF but that is how I cover the associated expenses of running the site.

It would be possible to create an option for a paid ad-free experience. Let me know if that would be of interest to you and what it would be worth to you (monthly/yearly). *It would be an optional thing.. basically if you pay then you won't see ads.

UPDATE: As mentioned here, for now, if you're using the new 2018 design you won't see the Google Ads. Only users that are not logged in (or still using the old design) will see the ads.

Thanks.
I would like to see LDS related ads. I get the clothing ads a lot (I don't shop for clothes online).

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

sushi_ does have some bills/currency like a thousand-yen bill etc but no access to paypal or credit...

http://sekainoura.net/4%e6%97%a5%e6%9c% ... b7%a8.html
:arrow:

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 30th, 2018, 6:11 pm
BrianM wrote: January 30th, 2018, 4:53 pm
Doubtful. What you're calling a "virus" was likely something else non-malicious.

Or do you have proof? Because I would take that very seriously. But again, highly unlikely (or the whole site would have been infected and I would have known about it and resolved it).
It's a popup that I can't get rid of and says my phone has been infected and has a countdown timer on it but I turn my phone off, back on again, and go into chrome and then I click on a different website and it seems to go away. So maybe not a virus but something that always scares me and says my phone is infected with a virus. So if you can come up with what it is that would put my mind at ease.
Assuming you are using android... Navigate to Settings-->Apps-->Chrome-->Storage-->Manage Storage-->Clear All Data. Should do the trick.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Re: Any interest in (optional) paid LDSFF ad-free experience?

Post by sushi_chef »

believe sushi_, has some cash ready, yen bill though. anyway to surface-mail etc??
`
http://sekainoura.net/%E5%8D%83%E5%86%8 ... AF%86.html
:arrow: