Got the flu?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Flu poll

Got the flu shot. Got the flu.
6%
Got the flu shot. Didn't get the flu.
11%
Didn't get the flu shot. Got the flu.
9%
Didn't get the flu shot. Didn't get the flu.
74%

Total votes: 65
kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: Got the flu?

Post by kittycat51 »

Meili wrote: January 30th, 2018, 8:11 am My method for avoiding sickness is something I learned in Korea. Traditionally, they used to brush their teeth with salt. I tried it and discovered that colds and flu couldn't get a toe hold with me cleaning my mouth with salt twice a day. I don't do it regularly anymore but if I feel like I'm coming down with something, I'll use salt for a few days.
Great tip. I just read this, this morning!:
One of the simplest and most effective home remedies is Himalayan salt. The pinker it is, the more macrominerals and trace minerals it contains. These nutrients help the body’s natural elimination system work properly, so anything that doesn’t belong inside the body can be removed.

Use Himalayan salt to bathe in to soak up the healing properties, or put a pinch in a small glass of water and gargle in the back of the throat and swish around the oral cavity. Do this a couple times to properly cleanse the entire area.
Nobody has mentioned it on the forum yet that I can see, but I wonder with the sudden death of Elder Von Keetch last week if it was the flu? Apparently he spoke at a stake conference on the Sunday before he died and then by Friday following he was gone. It stated the cause as a "brief and sudden illness" Just wondering out loud?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

kittycat51 wrote: January 30th, 2018, 9:40 am

Nobody has mentioned it on the forum yet that I can see, but I wonder with the sudden death of Elder Von Keetch last week if it was the flu? Apparently he spoke at a stake conference on the Sunday before he died and then by Friday following he was gone. It stated the cause as a "brief and sudden illness" Just wondering out loud?
I've heard from multiple sources that it was lung cancer, but I don't know for sure. It hasn't really been said why. Historically, he's battled cancer.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

If you have battled cancer for years, you could have a very weak immune system, which could allow for a "brief and sudden illness" to kill you.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Silver wrote: January 30th, 2018, 8:33 am
Meili wrote: January 30th, 2018, 8:11 am My method for avoiding sickness is something I learned in Korea. Traditionally, they used to brush their teeth with salt. I tried it and discovered that colds and flu couldn't get a toe hold with me cleaning my mouth with salt twice a day. I don't do it regularly anymore but if I feel like I'm coming down with something, I'll use salt for a few days.
My mom had us gargle with warm salt water when we got sore throats. Nip a cold in the bud before it gets worse. Mom...I miss her.
My mom said the same thing. Now that I've seen how effective salt is, I say don't wait for the sore throat. It helps head colds with or without the sore throat.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

https://worldmercuryproject.org/news/cd ... he-course/

In addition, links to:
the suppressed finding of CDC’s first large-scale epidemiological study (1999);
Cochrane Collaboration MMR reviews (2003, 2005, 2012);
HHS Inspector General investigation report – CDC advisory panel corruption (2009);
CDC scientists letter of complaint about “rogue interests” “questionable and unethical practices” (2016).

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

Silver wrote: January 30th, 2018, 8:33 am
My mom had us gargle with warm salt water when we got sore throats. Nip a cold in the bud before it gets worse. Mom...I miss her.
Sounds like your mom was Gold.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

:cry:
marc wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 2:49 pm No shot. No flu. I will never get a flu shot.

Btw, I'm suddenly thinking about our old friend, Bob Henstra.
Rest in peace Bob.

DoD gave me the shot and I picked up the flu while at Ft Knox a few weeks back.
.y wife says stay at the hotel and don't bring it home to the kids.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

That's so sad. :(

Another thing in Korea was that they focused on building healthy immune systems rather than trying to avoid germs so no one was ever socially shunned for getting sick. I don't blame your wife but it is sad when people feel the need to distance themselves from sick people. That's when you need people the most.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

marc wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 2:49 pm No shot. No flu. I will never get a flu shot.

Oh my goodness. I have heard several references to Bob so I had to do some digging. I have spent the week reading many of his posts and just laughing, giggling and smiling. :D Wow I wish I had been on the boards when he was here. As a lover of all things genealogy, if I was a kid of his, grandchild or whatever, those writings would be GOLD!!!! (or in Silver's case SILVER)

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Same here. I wouldn't submit to a flu shot if it was made a law.
When I saw "Flu" in the title, my first thought was of Bob. He's missed.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

So one of my teenagers just had a mild cold of about a week's duration turn very quickly into something more flu-like. It progressed very quickly and got a little scary for me. I hit it hard last night. Vits D, C and zinc (he'd already been taking these); food-grade H202; EOs both applied and inhaled; a fire water mix of ACV, raw honey, raw garlic pieces, raw ginger and cayenne; and topped it off with a Priesthood blessing. He's about 50% better this morning. This, of course, could have just been that natural course of the illness, but how do you ever know these things? If I had been in my right mind, I might have added some colloidal silver and some salt gargling, as suggested here. Did I leave anything else out? He did not get a flu shot, but then, I don't know whether this was "the flu."

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

Crackers wrote: February 12th, 2018, 10:24 am So one of my teenagers just had a mild cold of about a week's duration turn very quickly into something more flu-like. It progressed very quickly and got a little scary for me. I hit it hard last night. Vits D, C and zinc (he'd already been taking these); food-grade H202; EOs both applied and inhaled; a fire water mix of ACV, raw honey, raw garlic pieces, raw ginger and cayenne; and topped it off with a Priesthood blessing. He's about 50% better this morning. This, of course, could have just been that natural course of the illness, but how do you ever know these things? If I had been in my right mind, I might have added some colloidal silver and some salt gargling, as suggested here. Did I leave anything else out? He did not get a flu shot, but then, I don't know whether this was "the flu."
I think this post brings up a very important issue. Even though I do not get a flu shot every year, I have a means of addressing the flu should anyone in my home contract it. Studies indicate that the single most effective deterrent is 20,000 - 25,000 I.U.'s of vitamin D daily. Never take D without K and an increase in magnesium and calcium. So we do this. If someone did get it, I would do as you have done with the natural healing agents of garlic and ginger, salt, hydrogen peroxide etc.

The final piece you mention is the piece I have the most confidence in. I have been following President Nelson's admonitions in his first conference talk in April 2016, as the President of the Quorum of the 12 "The Price of Priesthood Power. We have observed literal miraculous events since seeking what he promised there. I think that is the most important preparations that we as fathers should be making.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

So do you take those levels of D regularly, or only upon the onset of an illness?

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

Crackers wrote: February 12th, 2018, 7:38 pm So do you take those levels of D regularly, or only upon the onset of an illness?
Actually, I take 25,000 a day. If you choose to do that don't forget the K and Calcium and Magnesium because it ups the absorption rates in your body.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Well, I can no longer say I didn't get the flu. I got it two weeks ago today. Knocked me for a loop. I'm not changing my vote in the poll, though, because what I said was true when I voted (no flu, no shot). And I still won't be getting a flu shot. I've noticed that I don't get sick if I stay away from sugary foods, get enough sleep, and have relatively little stress.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Silver Pie wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 1:11 pm Well, I can no longer say I didn't get the flu. I got it two weeks ago today. Knocked me for a loop. I'm not changing my vote in the poll, though, because what I said was true when I voted (no flu, no shot). And I still won't be getting a flu shot. I've noticed that I don't get sick if I stay away from sugary foods, get enough sleep, and have relatively little stress.
So what your saying is no Dove, Ghiradelli or Almond Roca, No late night movies and Carmel popcorn and no kids family or spouse , the first two I don't know if I could , but then no kids, family or spouse ? Humming there are times...(Not ! Because hey I'm the perfect parent and spouse).

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Older/wiser? wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 2:34 pm So what your saying is no Dove, Ghiradelli or Almond Roca, No late night movies and Carmel popcorn and no kids family or spouse , the first two I don't know if I could , but then no kids, family or spouse ? Humming there are times...(Not ! Because hey I'm the perfect parent and spouse).

Yeah, that "no stress" thing is nigh unto impossible. But I blew it on staying away from candy and such. I mean, when someone offers it to you, it's difficult to say no. And, sometimes, staying up late just happens, even if you have to get up early. The problem is doing it over and over again for a week or more.

But, I forgot to mention something else - no matter the sweets or the little sleep or the stress, I can often avoid getting sick (unless I've done the above waaaay too much), as long as I keep my hands away from my face and mouth if they are cold. That means, if my hands are cold, no eating sandwiches or candy. I don't know why, but that seems to be the deciding factor.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

My little one got the flu, a really bad case that dragged on for over a week and left her with a serious cough that scared the hell out of me. I slept in the same bed with her and even ate off the same utensils as her. I didn't get it. My throat got a bit scratchy because I was losing a lot of sleep worrying over her but I never got sick. I brushed and/or gargled with salt morning and night. I'm pretty sure that made the difference. I could tell the difference between before and after I brushed. I swear by it.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

I was babysitting the grandchildren while the parents were out of the country, our 8yr old grandson got a migraine , I didn't know children got those, it was awful he was in so much pain, I found out later he gets them once in awhile. It would have been nice to know what to do to help him. Scary hard, but hey they had fun..