the Mahdi

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
abijah
pleb in zion

the Mahdi

Post by abijah »

On my mission I served for a good portion of time in an area with a heavy Islamic population. For a majority of that time I was serving around another elder who was raised as a devout muslim up until a year prior to his mission. This enabled me to become fairly knowledgeable about the religion as well as offering a positive outlook on it.

Like with all Abrahamic religions, there are plenty of similarities between the restored Gospel and Islam. One I found particularly interesting is the figure known as the "Mahdi", one of the prominent servants of Allah who plays a significant leadership role immediately prior to Judgement day. His name means "the guided one" or "the enlightened". As there have been divisions within Islam, not all muslims necessarily believe the same thing. A majority however believe in the Mahdi however, despite the typical mentality of Muhammad being the last prophet.

This Mahdi seems very comparable to an elias type of mission. On one hand he acts as a restorer, charged to bring God's people back to the true and proper form of worship. On the other hand he acts in a preparatory capacity, sent to rid the world of evil and have all things ready for the day of reckoning, the end of the world and the final judgement.

Muslims believe this last days figure's mission is closely intertwined with Jesus Christ, and will involve the defeating of the Masih ad-Dajjal , or the "false Messiah".

Anyone else considered this before? Any insights, especially in regards to similarities or contrasts with our own messianic figures?

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Re: the Mahdi

Post by gclayjr »

Abijah,
Like with all Abrahamic religions, there are plenty of similarities between the restored Gospel and Islam. One I found particularly interesting is the figure known as the "Mahdi", one of the prominent servants of Allah who plays a significant leadership role immediately prior to Judgement day. His name means "the guided one" or "the enlightened". As there have been divisions within Islam, not all muslims necessarily believe the same thing. A majority however believe in the Mahdi however, despite the typical mentality of Muhammad being the last prophet.

This Mahdi seems very comparable to an elias type of mission. On one hand he acts as a restorer, charged to bring God's people back to the true and proper form of worship. On the other hand he acts in a preparatory capacity, sent to rid the world of evil and have all things ready for the day of reckoning, the end of the world and the final judgment.

Muslims believe this last days figure's mission is closely intertwined with Jesus Christ, and will involve the defeating of the Masih ad-Dajjal , or the "false Messiah".
Judaism has common roots, and common beliefs with Christianity. Islam is only related to Judaism or Christianity , in that it does have some of the same characters in the Quran. However, it twists it into something quite evil. Even when you look at what sounds like benevolence or universal truths, they have terrible twists. For example, those requirements for honest, benevolent behavior only applies to fellow Muslims. The Kaffir, or Infidel, do not deserve such fair or humane treatment. The most humane thing that you can do is by force, trickery or whatever, get control of the government and then rule them as Dhimmi, second class citizens who must submit to Islam/Sharia.

The same is true about Jesus Christ. Islam does NOT believe that he is our savior, or the son of God. In fact the Quran specifically states that Allah fooled Christians by creating an illusion that he was killed on the cross when in reality he wasn't. So in the various invocations of Mahdi, in either Sunni or Shia Islam, the Mahdi does not come to be a team member or a forerunner of the return of Christ. In their view Christ comes to testify and submit to the Mahdi.

Just like everything else, same characters, some of the same words, but satanic twists, that makes it not only inaccurate, but evil.

Regards,

George Clay

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

gclayjr wrote: January 19th, 2018, 8:47 pm Abijah,

This Mahdi seems very comparable to an elias type of mission. On one hand he acts as a restorer, charged to bring God's people back to the true and proper form of worship. On the other hand he acts in a preparatory capacity, sent to rid the world of evil and have all things ready for the day of reckoning, the end of the world and the final judgment.

Judaism has common roots, and common beliefs with Christianity. Islam is only related to Judaism or Christianity , in that it does have some of the same characters in the Quran. However, it twists it into something quite evil. Even when you look at what sounds like benevolence or universal truths, they have terrible twists. For example, those requirements for honest, benevolent behavior only applies to fellow Muslims. The Kaffir, or Infidel, do not deserve such fair or humane treatment. The most humane thing that you can do is by force, trickery or whatever, get control of the government and then rule them as Dhimmi, second class citizens who must submit to Islam/Sharia.

The same is true about Jesus Christ. Islam does NOT believe that he is our savior, or the son of God. In fact the Quran specifically states that Allah fooled Christians by creating an illusion that he was killed on the cross when in reality he wasn't. So in the various invocations of Mahdi, in either Sunni or Shia Islam, the Mahdi does not come to be a team member or a forerunner of the return of Christ. In their view Christ comes to testify and submit to the Mahdi.

Just like everything else, same characters, some of the same words, but satanic twists, that makes it not only inaccurate, but evil.

Regards,

George Clay
I have news for you George. Judiasm does NOT believe that Jesus is our savior, or the son of God. In fact, they believe he is definitely not the Messiah promised in the Torah... and God only appointed him in order to test the masses.

And you are wrong about the Mahdi, as is unfortunately pretty much always the case when you repeat Fox News' view on Islam here on the forum for us. I'm not going to take the time to address your first paragraph because it's late and I've done it numerous times before.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

harakim wrote: January 20th, 2018, 12:16 am I have news for you George. Judiasm does NOT believe that Jesus is our savior, or the son of God. In fact, they believe he is definitely not the Messiah...
George didn't say Jews believe Jesus is the Savior. He said they have common roots and common beliefs. To me it seemed implied to a majority LDS audience that belief about Messiah would be not only A difference, it's THE difference.

We do share some of the OT roots, though: Adam, Abraham, Moses, Ten Commandments.
And you are wrong about the Mahdi, as is unfortunately pretty much always the case when you repeat Fox News' view on Islam here on the forum for us. I'm not going to take the time to address your first paragraph because it's late and I've done it numerous times before.
Some Muslims are led to find spirituality and a desire to develop a relationship with God. Some use it to justify child rape and murder. The same can be said of many religions at one point or another, but there is a preponderance of Muslims using their religion as the justification for their violence. Nowhere is this more shameful than in the fact that most Muslim violence is committed against other Muslims because they're the wrong kind of Muslim.

However, whether it's the sincere Muslim trying to use the Koran to be enlightened or the Muslim Brotherhood using it to justify killing Coptic Christians, it's aimed goal is not to bring people into Christ's restored church or to help them find His Atonement. The same can be said of the Wiccan spell books, the Hindu Vedas, Dianetics, or the Mahayana Sutras. While we can't point to a large problem with Zen suicide bombers, there are quite a few different Mahayana splinter groups getting quite worrisome.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

skmo,

I usually try to respond to people when they try and refute points I make. However, I don't think I could have said it any better than you did, so I will let that be my response also.

Regards,

George Clay

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

gclayjr wrote: January 20th, 2018, 6:35 am skmo,

I usually try to respond to people when they try and refute points I make. However, I don't think I could have said it any better than you did, so I will let that be my response also.

Regards,

George Clay
Well thank you, sir. As I'm almost on my way out the door to my own baptism, I'll claim it was just inspiration from the moment.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

There are MANY thousands and thousands of Jews that 'believe'. My grandfather was telling me about closet Jews that believe in HIM, and that was about 20 years ago before it was acceptable for them to admit it without suffering for it. There are more than we think but their society I don't think let's them say it openly.

If that's the case there, its possible there could be a similar situation with people in Islam.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

gardener4life,
There are MANY thousands and thousands of Jews that 'believe'. My grandfather was telling me about closet Jews that believe in HIM, and that was about 20 years ago before it was acceptable for them to admit it without suffering for it. There are more than we think but their society I don't think let's them say it openly.

If that's the case there, its possible there could be a similar situation with people in Islam.
there are various branches of Christianity, Jews, and Muslims. People can believe whatever they want. I guess there are Mormons who believe in witchcraft. That doesn't make Witchcraft a Mormon teaching. It is quite heretical to Mormon belief. The same is true with Jews and Muslims. There is a splinter group of Jews called Messianic Jews who believe that Jesus is the Messiah, while maintaining certain Jewish traditions. This is not accepted as truth by any Orthodox Jewish group.

I do not know of even any splinter group of Muslims who accept Jesus Christ as their Saviour. They have a bigger problem than Jews do. There is nothing in the Torah, or Jewish scripture that says that Christ is NOT the Messiah or Saviour, Their scriptures are silent on this issue. However the Quran, the book considered so holy by Muslims that they believe that every word was directly dictated word for word by Allah, states specifically that Jesus Christ was merely a prophet, and not the Saviour, and that he did not die on the cross. Therefor, it would take a greater rejection of core Islamic belief for a Muslim to accept Jesus Christ as the Saviour, than rejection of Jewish belief for a Jew to accept Christ as the Messiah ... or Saviour.

Regards,

George Clay

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

Judaism has common roots, and common beliefs with Christianity. Islam is only related to Judaism or Christianity , in that it does have some of the same characters in the Quran.

I'm aware of this.

However, it twists it into something quite evil. Even when you look at what sounds like benevolence or universal truths, they have terrible twists.

What truth is in these statements is quite exaggerated.

For example, those requirements for honest, benevolent behavior only applies to fellow Muslims. The Kaffir, or Infidel, do not deserve such fair or humane treatment. The most humane thing that you can do is by force, trickery or whatever, get control of the government and then rule them as Dhimmi, second class citizens who must submit to Islam/Sharia.

While there may be some factual truth in these claims, every one of my interpersonal experiences are completely the opposite. Out of the hundreds of muslims I've met over the years, not one has shown me any hint of disrespect, contempt or condescension on account of my religion, ethnicity, etc. Do they believe they are correct in their beliefs, and that I'm wrong in mine? Of course, but so do I, though I've never had any sort of quarrel in my religious discussions with them.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

I'm very aware of the differences between Islam, Christianity and Judaism. I was less interested on discussing these, and more interested on outlining some similarities. One of the most striking of these to me is the promised ministry of a messianic last days figure.

Where did Islam come from, originally? Perchance it is a corrupted version the Gospel, or a then-preparatory Gospel given to the children of Ishmael. Might there be truths to be gleaned from the prophecies of the Koran and other Muslim teachings? I for one know there are, and on a few occasions in times past have been taught spiritual truths as I studied the Koran and had deep conversations with those who revere it.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

Abijah, I have mentioned this on this forum before but I have been visiting with the Ammadhiya Muslims in my local area for Australia Day celebrations and other occasions. They have a strong belief in a "restoration" and the role of the Mahdi. To me these are some of those "shards of truth" we see appearing in seemingly unlikely places. They also make a really good curry!

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Regards,

George Clay
non-muslim =/= infidel

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

smallFarm
non-muslim =/= infidel
n
Religion.

a person who does not accept a particular faith, especially Christianity.
(in Christian use) an unbeliever, especially a Muslim.
(in Muslim use) a person who does not accept the Islamic faith; kafir (def 2).
Do you just make this stuff up because it makes you feel good? I don't even know where you get this idea.

Or are you using the definition from a non Muslim point of view which is a complete non sequitur?

Regards,

George Clay

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

Dave62 wrote: January 21st, 2018, 1:03 am Abijah, I have mentioned this on this forum before but I have been visiting with the Ammadhiya Muslims in my local area for Australia Day celebrations and other occasions. They have a strong belief in a "restoration" and the role of the Mahdi. To me these are some of those "shards of truth" we see appearing in seemingly unlikely places. They also make a really good curry!
Agreed on all points!

Some years ago I felt impressed during a fast that I ought to pray for the spiritual gift of discernment, being more able to separate truth from error. I feel I have been richly blessed as my Father in heaven has developed this in me, and that it helps me to to be more spiritually receptive.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

abijah wrote: January 20th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Judaism has common roots, and common beliefs with Christianity. Islam is only related to Judaism or Christianity , in that it does have some of the same characters in the Quran.

I'm aware of this.

However, it twists it into something quite evil. Even when you look at what sounds like benevolence or universal truths, they have terrible twists.

What truth is in these statements is quite exaggerated.

For example, those requirements for honest, benevolent behavior only applies to fellow Muslims. The Kaffir, or Infidel, do not deserve such fair or humane treatment. The most humane thing that you can do is by force, trickery or whatever, get control of the government and then rule them as Dhimmi, second class citizens who must submit to Islam/Sharia.

While there may be some factual truth in these claims, every one of my interpersonal experiences are completely the opposite. Out of the hundreds of muslims I've met over the years, not one has shown me any hint of disrespect, contempt or condescension on account of my religion, ethnicity, etc. Do they believe they are correct in their beliefs, and that I'm wrong in mine? Of course, but so do I, though I've never had any sort of quarrel in my religious discussions with them.

Abijah
You are just not getting out into the world enough. You are living in a sheltered part of the world. Rather than looking to the personal, anecdotal evidence, you need to look to a larger scale, and to the experiences of others, even in some parts of your own country, but also other countries.
Then you will clearly see what gclalyjr is posting about.
dc

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

abijah wrote: January 20th, 2018, 10:44 pm I'm very aware of the differences between Islam, Christianity and Judaism. I was less interested on discussing these, and more interested on outlining some similarities. One of the most striking of these to me is the promised ministry of a messianic last days figure.

Where did Islam come from, originally? Perchance it is a corrupted version the Gospel, or a then-preparatory Gospel given to the children of Ishmael. Might there be truths to be gleaned from the prophecies of the Koran and other Muslim teachings? I for one know there are, and on a few occasions in times past have been taught spiritual truths as I studied the Koran and had deep conversations with those who revere it.
I thought it came from those claiming the Abrahamic blessings came through Ishmael instead of Isaac.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Michelle wrote: January 21st, 2018, 1:55 pm
abijah wrote: January 20th, 2018, 10:44 pm I'm very aware of the differences between Islam, Christianity and Judaism. I was less interested on discussing these, and more interested on outlining some similarities. One of the most striking of these to me is the promised ministry of a messianic last days figure.

I thought it came from those claiming the Abrahamic blessings came through Ishmael instead of Isaac.

It has been said the Mohammad adopted, co-opted Christian and Jewish doctrine into what is now Islam. I believe this is the case. See just such an explanation in JewishEncyclopedia he there came in contact with Jews and Christians. But he could very easily have become acquainted with both at Mecca;http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/10918-mohammed

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

abijah wrote: January 19th, 2018, 7:03 pm On my mission I served for a good portion of time in an area with a heavy Islamic population. For a majority of that time I was serving around another elder who was raised as a devout muslim up until a year prior to his mission. This enabled me to become fairly knowledgeable about the religion as well as offering a positive outlook on it.

This Mahdi seems very comparable to an elias type of mission. On one hand he acts as a restorer, charged to bring God's people back to the true and proper form of worship. On the other hand he acts in a preparatory capacity, sent to rid the world of evil and have all things ready for the day of reckoning, the end of the world and the final judgement.

Anyone else considered this before? Any insights, especially in regards to similarities or contrasts with our own messianic figures?
I don't listen to Glenn Beck much anymore, but when I did he spoke often about the 12th imam and how this muslim end-times belief is like the mirrored perspective of the antichrist where the antichrist is the hero and christianity is the villain. Islamic extremists believe they have to lay waste to the world to usher in their "elias"

Looks like Rush Limbaugh espouses this view as well:

http://www.wnd.com/2015/03/rush-limbaug ... ntichrist/

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

gclayjr wrote: January 21st, 2018, 9:36 am smallFarm
non-muslim =/= infidel
n
Religion.

a person who does not accept a particular faith, especially Christianity.
(in Christian use) an unbeliever, especially a Muslim.
(in Muslim use) a person who does not accept the Islamic faith; kafir (def 2).
Do you just make this stuff up because it makes you feel good? I don't even know where you get this idea.

Or are you using the definition from a non Muslim point of view which is a complete non sequitur?

Regards,

George Clay
Infidel is literally used like that in the Bible, George.

Whilst on the subject of religions' holy books you don't read, the Quran actually states that Jesus himself will return at the second coming.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Whilst on the subject of religions' holy books you don't read, the Quran actually states that Jesus himself will return at the second coming.
Yes, and Jesus will tell the Christians to convert to Islam.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

skmo wrote: January 20th, 2018, 1:17 am
harakim wrote: January 20th, 2018, 12:16 am I have news for you George. Judiasm does NOT believe that Jesus is our savior, or the son of God. In fact, they believe he is definitely not the Messiah...
George didn't say Jews believe Jesus is the Savior. He said they have common roots and common beliefs. To me it seemed implied to a majority LDS audience that belief about Messiah would be not only A difference, it's THE difference.

We do share some of the OT roots, though: Adam, Abraham, Moses, Ten Commandments.
Some Muslims are led to find spirituality and a desire to develop a relationship with God. Some use it to justify child rape and murder. The same can be said of many religions at one point or another, but there is a preponderance of Muslims using their religion as the justification for their violence. Nowhere is this more shameful than in the fact that most Muslim violence is committed against other Muslims because they're the wrong kind of Muslim.

However, whether it's the sincere Muslim trying to use the Koran to be enlightened or the Muslim Brotherhood using it to justify killing Coptic Christians, it's aimed goal is not to bring people into Christ's restored church or to help them find His Atonement. The same can be said of the Wiccan spell books, the Hindu Vedas, Dianetics, or the Mahayana Sutras. While we can't point to a large problem with Zen suicide bombers, there are quite a few different Mahayana splinter groups getting quite worrisome.
Who kills more people: Muslims or Christians? Yep, it's Christians. https://www.iraqbodycount.org/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqYSQtAk4bw
What about World War II?

But I guess according to you, not having justified your killing with religion will score you some points at the Pearly Gates.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

What about World War II?
The nations that suffered the heaviest loses were Germany and Russia. One was controlled by a malignant narcissist who was a devotee of New Age Darwinism while the other was a malignant narcissist who hated anything to do with Christianity and, ironically, Darwinism as well.

So how was this the fault of Christians?

KingZulqarnayn
Hi, I'm new.

Post by KingZulqarnayn »

I understood that from an LDS perspective that Adam is the Mahdi. Why? Because he is guided by Christ (D&C 78:16) and Mahdi means "Guided One". Adam comes back in the Last Days to lead the war and battle to fight the Antichrist/Dajjal who is Satan (Dan. 12:1; D&C 88:112-115). Ive also seen somewhere that the Mahdi is called "Prince of Princes" which is a title for St. Michael/Adam. Also in Spencer's Visions of Glory, Jesus is back with Adam (also Joseph Smith and other prophets) before the Second Coming/Millennial Reign (just like Muslim Prophecy) so there is more to this Islamic Prophecy then we think we find it. Also if Islam were very true to its prophesied claims then Jesus would defeat the Antichrist, which if any of you heard of the Jewish Natan who NDE'd like Spencer, then you know that it is indeed true that the Messiah defeats the Antichrist (At least the first time, the second time will be Adam). Another thing, Mahdi is a savior right? And we know that God is the only savior there is (Isaiah 45:21) if you have read the Journal of Discourses then you know Adam is the Holy Ghost which still makes him God (Brigham Young JD 1:51) which makes him indeed a true savior regardless of what the church thinks or stands on (I believe they will eventually come to this conclusion later on when Jesus and Adam do come back so it does not matter) Another thing is Catholic prophecy has a prophecy that talks about a fifty-six year period which Joseph Smith also prophesied about. This is supposed to be a period of peace that the Messiah, Adam, and the Davidic Prince/Servant/Prophet bring about before the Antichrist is bounded for a thousand years. For those that don't know Catholics prophesy of two major individuals called The Great Catholic Monarch and The Angelic Pope/Prophet (who are believed to be restorational figures). The GCM is Christ and The Angelic Prophet is Adam. Every church besides the LDS church believes in a eventual restorational reformation.(Acts 3:21) Even though right now they don't believe it to be a Mormon Reformation they still believe in one. And we know by Mormon Prophecy if you look into the Journal of Discourses that everyone will bow down to the Mormon Empire which makes me thing most people will believe it is a revived antichrist roman empire that was prophesied to come. If any of you heard of Bishop Koyles prophecies then you know that only a fourth of the church remaining today will truly stand by the true church while everyone else commits inevitable apostacy. And thats where we get into people being destroyed by plagues, earthquakes, and other disasters. But i must say before I end my post that the Antichrist's religion is the Illuminati religion that is helped by Islam.(Islam believes in wearing headbands and wristbands numbered 666, believes in seven year peace to be good, love to covenant-break, believes in a 10 man government system, goes right along with Nostradamus's Mabus that their messianic figure reigns for 27 years) So the enemy is indeed Isis even though I see us mimicking them if we revert back to old teachings which actually is in scripture. (Isaiah 63:9; Hebrews 13:8) Oh, if you don't believe in the Illuminati being the end goal id suggest researching on YouTube or whatever you can find...

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

skmo wrote: January 20th, 2018, 9:33 am
gclayjr wrote: January 20th, 2018, 6:35 am skmo,

Regards,

George Clay

Well thank you, sir. As I'm almost on my way out the door to my own baptism, I'll claim it was just inspiration from the moment.
Your baptism? I pray it went well for you.