Oaks 1st Counselor, Eyring 2nd Counselor

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Oaks 1st Counselor, Eyring 2nd Counselor

Post by iWriteStuff »

Shake up alert!

Uchtdorf no longer a counselor. The Lord has called His Presidency!

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Re: Oaks 1st Counselor, Eyring 2nd Counselor

Post by Michelle »

iWriteStuff wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:18 am Shake up alert!

Uchtdorf no longer a counselor. The Lord has called His Presidency!
I'm excited. The only one of the most senior 5 not in the First Presidency or leading the Quorum is Holland. Good solid old stock leading.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

The message was broadcasted from a temple. President Nelson talked about the importance of temple covenants.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

inho wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:24 am The message was broadcasted from a temple. President Nelson talked about the importance of temple covenants.
President Nelson said the message was broadcast from a Temple.
But they were actually in the visitors center just across from the Temple. You could see the Temple out the big windows. There are no big windows in the Temple like that. But there are in the two visitors centers across from the Temple.

No wait. There are large windows like that in the newer entrance to the Temple to the north, near the street. Could that be where they were?
dc

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

These are wonderful times!

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

David13 wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:28 am
inho wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:24 am The message was broadcasted from a temple. President Nelson talked about the importance of temple covenants.
But they were actually in the visitors center just across from the Temple. You could see the Temple out the big windows. There are no big windows in the Temple like that. But there are in the two visitors centers across from the Temple.

No wait. There are large windows like that in the newer entrance to the Temple to the north, near the street. Could that be where they were?
dc
You tell me. I've never been in that temple. Maybe it was just a visitors center then.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

inho wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:34 am

dc
You tell me. I've never been in that temple.
I'm tellin' ya! I kept thinking they were in the visitors center. But then I remembered those windows in the entrance building to the north, so I think that's where they were.
dc

Oh, and I should also tell you, if you ever can, go to that Temple. It's the central, one of the oldest, and by far the most famous and most attended. It's surrounded by history and many other things about the church.
And most importantly, the sessions are live sessions. The live session to me is the most important factor there. Or let me also recommend the Manti Temple, again one of the oldest and ... live sessions.
Last edited by David13 on January 16th, 2018, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

David13 wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:36 am

dc
I'm tellin' ya! I kept thinking they were in the visitors center. But then I remembered those windows in the entrance building to the north, so I think that's where they were.
dc
Either way, the symbolism was pretty clear! ;)

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

dc
It's the temple annex building. It is where you enter the temple. That particular part is where people go to enter to attend temple sealings. (It's around the corner from where they were seated that you would enter to perform temple ordinances.)

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

kittycat51 wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:49 am

dc
It's the temple annex building. It is where you enter the temple. That particular part is where people go to enter to attend temple sealings. (It's around the corner from where they were seated that you would enter to perform temple ordinances.)

Yes, cat, that is now clear to me. I had just seen the windows and got the impression they were in the visitor center, with the Temple in view out those large windows. I had forgotten about the entrance building over there with the large glass windows, and the sliding glass doors.
dc

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

So what was unprecedented about this unprecedented event? I'm stuck at work, and didn't get to watch it.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

h_p wrote: January 16th, 2018, 10:24 am So what was unprecedented about this unprecedented event? I'm stuck at work, and didn't get to watch it.
The message from the temple was an event separate of the ongoing press conference. President Nelson wanted to address the saints first, before facing the media. That is the only unprecedented thing.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

h_p wrote: January 16th, 2018, 10:24 am So what was unprecedented about this unprecedented event? I'm stuck at work, and didn't get to watch it.
Only once before has a counselor been removed from the Presidency and moved back into the Q12, and that was Hugh B Brown in 1970. Only once has a counselor been "demoted" from 1st counselor to 2nd counselor, and that was J Rueben Clark back in the 50's.

Both happened this time around, so that would qualify as unprecedented, although I am not sure that this was what was meant by using that term to describe the event :)

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Lizzy60 wrote: January 16th, 2018, 10:41 am
Only once before has a counselor been removed from the Presidency and moved back into the Q12, and that was Hugh B Brown back in the day. Only once has a counselor been "demoted" from 1st counselor to 2nd counselor, and that was N Eldon Tanner back in the 50's.

Both happened this time around, so that would qualify as unprecedented, although I am not sure that this was what was meant by using that term to describe the event :)
Under President Benson, Marion G Romney was put back down as President of the 12 and President Monson was put in his place.

It is unprecedented because usually you hear from the “news” how the first Presidency was reorganized. This time with the amazing technology that we have, the Church was addressed directly and FIRST, from the temple , media 2nd from the Church office building.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

kittycat51 wrote: January 16th, 2018, 10:46 am
Lizzy60 wrote: January 16th, 2018, 10:41 am
Only once before has a counselor been removed from the Presidency and moved back into the Q12, and that was Hugh B Brown back in the day. Only once has a counselor been "demoted" from 1st counselor to 2nd counselor, and that was N Eldon Tanner back in the 50's.

Under President Benson, Marion G Romney was put back down as President of the 12 and President Monson was put in his place.

It is unprecedented because usually you hear from the “news” how the first Presidency was reorganized. This time with the amazing technology that we have, the Church was addressed directly and FIRST, from the temple , media 2nd from the Church office building.
brianj's comment from another thread is pertinent:
brianj wrote: January 13th, 2018, 9:37 pm
shadow wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:45 am
inho wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:38 am I wonder if this is going to be the event where they announce that the first presidency has been formed.
That's exactly what will happen. The only question in my mind is if President Nelson will keep the same counselors. Typically that's the case but President Eyring (one of my favorites) seems to be struggling with age a bit more than others.
Actually, this isn't what I would call typical. It has happened several times, but many new church presidents replaced one or both counselors.
Young replaced both.
Taylor replaced all three.
Woodruff retained both.
Snow retained both.
Joseph F Smith replaced both.
Grant retained both.
George Albert Smith retained both.
McKay replaced both.
Joseph Fielding Smith retained one.
Lee retained both.
Kimball retained both.
Benson retained one.
Hunter retained both.
Hinckley retained one.
Monson retained one.

Four presidents replaced one counselor.
Four presidents replaced both.
Seven presidents retained both.

Now if anybody can explain why I was curious enough to look this up, I would sincerely appreciate it.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

This blog post from Juvenile Instructor also touches the subject of President not retaining the former FP counselors in the same positions:
The New LDS First Presidency: Historical Notes and Contexts

It also mentions another interesting fact:
Each member of the First Presidency has a Ph.D. or J.D.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

I liked the dynamics of Nelson/Oaks/Eyring. Oaks seems well attuned to President Nelson. It also gives Oaks some First Presidency experience since he is next in line.

It looks like they will enjoy the First Presidency together. :)

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Someone else said this is the first time the president of the church addressed members before the press.

It is also the first ever public broadcast from inside a temple. And it was accompanied by a significant and valuable description of the process of calling and ordaining a new presidency.

Just based on this broadcast I can say I really like the new presidency.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 16th, 2018, 12:00 pm I love the experienced leadership! I just wish they also announced the 2 new apostles.
They couldn’t as there are no new apostles. The new quorum members will be announced and sustained os Saturday, March 31st in the first session of conference. They will not be ordained and set apart until after they are sustained.

The first presidency, on the other hand, were set apart last Sunday.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:36 am Oh, and I should also tell you, if you ever can, go to that Temple. It's the central, one of the oldest, and by far the most famous and most attended. It's surrounded by history and many other things about the church.
And most importantly, the sessions are live sessions. The live session to me is the most important factor there. Or let me also recommend the Manti Temple, again one of the oldest and ... live sessions.
I second the motion!

There are some subtle but very significant things you may notice in a live session that you don’t get in the movies. Additionally, there’s a lot of symbolism in the building such as a small step up from the creation room to the garden room and a big vertical move into the world room.

Hopefully this summer I can find someone to go to the Manti temple with.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

dc
dc

Oh, and I should also tell you, if you ever can, go to that Temple. It's the central, one of the oldest, and by far the most famous and most attended. It's surrounded by history and many other things about the church.
I've never participated in a live session.
Without speaking of sacred things in a public forum, in what way do you feel it is better or worse than the film?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Robin Hood wrote: January 16th, 2018, 12:51 pm I've never participated in a live session.
Without speaking of sacred things in a public forum, in what way do you feel it is better or worse than the film?
I made a couple comments in the post preceding your question.

I think the video is better; I get more out of the video than live sessions. But there are some things in live sessions that are very different from the video presentation that I think are significant and meaningful. And, as I said, there’s some major significance in the building itself.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Robin Hood wrote: January 16th, 2018, 12:51 pm

dc
dc

The film used to be shorter than the live session; not sure it is anymore with the new ones that we have. In the live session you are more aware that you are ascending as you switch rooms. You also can focus on the words of the endowment without the distraction of the visuals and the acting in the films. I tend to get distracted by little things sometimes, such as background sets, dyed hair, shaved chests, ages of characters that seem off, odd facial gestures, etc. The live session takes all of that away. However, watching the films gives variety and can add to the experience in other ways, such as keeping your attention and placing emphasis on different phrases and events. It's nice to have both options, but if I had to choose one, I would go with the film. I can always close my eyes if the movie gets too distracting. Of course, then I get sleepy....

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Robin Hood wrote: January 16th, 2018, 12:51 pm

dc
dc

It's real human beings. Yes, they make some mistakes, just like real human beings.

It's like you and i, rather than a "movie" on a movie screen.

In Los Angeles, where people are more heavily contaminated by worldly things like "movies" they like the movie.

But here, I guess we like human beings rather than a two dimensional depiction. Rather than a plastic celluloid illusion.

It's real. It's human.

Some have said, well, they are poor actors. My response; they are not acting. They are real people depicting a calling by God of the events depicted.

It may just be me. I don't like "movies" at all. For one, I don't like their ego, their private life. But moreso, I'm seldom convinced that the are doing anything other than lying, portraying something they are not.

The live session gives me a reality or honesty that you won't find "on the big screen".

Maybe it's like calling a company and talking to a real person, rather than a 'recorded message'.

It's real, it's human.

I don't know if that conveys it. I also don't know what the "majority vote" on it would be. And don't care. I know it takes a lot more labor, but I think it is worth it, and 100% essential.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Yeah, you guys like the film version, and you would probably like it more if they had more special effects, explosions, car chases, and cgis.

I hope that doesn't seem like mocking, but I just don't get it.

Robin Hood, I would much rather sit in a room on chairs facing each other and talk to you, rather than just seeing a video of you. Now, many a person would rather it the other way. So maybe it's just me.

Also, let me again encourage you to visit Utah for that purpose. I know it's a long way for you, but I think it's worth it. Particularly the Salt Lake Temple, but also the Manti Temple, which opened in 1888. You feel the history there.
dc