Oaks 1st Counselor, Eyring 2nd Counselor

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Oaks 1st Counselor, Eyring 2nd Counselor

Post by David13 »

Crackers wrote: January 16th, 2018, 4:53 pm
David13 wrote: January 16th, 2018, 1:34 pm Yeah, you guys like the film version, and you would probably like it more if they had more special effects, explosions, car chases, and cgis.

I hope that doesn't seem like mocking, but I just don't get it.

Robin Hood, I would much rather sit in a room on chairs facing each other and talk to you, rather than just seeing a video of you. Now, many a person would rather it the other way. So maybe it's just me.

Also, let me again encourage you to visit Utah for that purpose. I know it's a long way for you, but I think it's worth it. Particularly the Salt Lake Temple, but also the Manti Temple, which opened in 1888. You feel the history there.
dc
I don't know that you were talking about me. I actually don't like TV or movies very much. I haven't had any TV service for over a decade, and I don't watch many movies for a variety of reasons. That being said, I explained my reasons for liking the temple movie (and reasons why I don't). I do recall, though, when the newer films were put out with more detail on the decision made by Eve, it was portrayed more as a meditated choice than a poor choice (tricked by the devil), and it made a huge impact on both women that I know and have discussed it with and on women I simply observed in the session, weeping in happy peace for that portrayal and for the vindication for our sex. That could not have been accomplished in a live session.

Well, what could be better? A movie version, or a live theater version of any particular story (other than the endowment story, I mean)?

I wasn't specifically addressing you. I think it's admirable and sensible that you don't watch tv or movies.

But what has the potential of greater emotional impact on the audience. Live theater, or the movie version?

I'm also no live theater fan, based on what they usually portray, but I am here. And I think it makes it a lot more real. Inconsistent, variable, but potentially so much more. And real. Human, just like you and I.
dc

The movie fills the brain with images, and all that. And leaves little room for the viewers own, personal, life long imagination, experience, and thoughts.

The movie is meant to fill everything into the brain. I like to be able to reflect during the ceremony on my own relationship to it all.

I can't do that where there is a concerted effort to overwhelm me with cgi, etc.
Last edited by David13 on January 16th, 2018, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sasquatch
captain of 50

Post by Sasquatch »

tribrac wrote: January 16th, 2018, 5:18 pm The CGI in the films distracts and upsets me. I get that some parts need effects, but they couldn't get live footage of a stream or nature shotsl?

I prefer the simplicity and subtly of Manti.

As for the First presidency. I hope Uctodorf uses his time off to gather new flying stories. Since Packer died it appears as though certain groups have turned their angst at Oaks, this ought to rile them up. I hope peace and civility still prevail.

Looking forward to conference.
While I partially share your sentiment, CGI is ultimately just another medium for storytelling and communication, albeit a very complex one. I don't think it's very different than showing paintings or animation for the same purposes.
David13 wrote:
CelestialAngel wrote: January 16th, 2018, 1:35 pm I like the 3 new movies more than a live session.
Which one of you is going to say "but I'd like it more if they served popcorn"?
dc
Better yet, build IMAX theatres adjacent to the temples to present the films.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Sasquatch wrote: January 16th, 2018, 5:26 pm
David13 wrote:
CelestialAngel wrote: January 16th, 2018, 1:35 pm I like the 3 new movies more than a live session.
Which one of you is going to say "but I'd like it more if they served popcorn"?
dc
Better yet, build IMAX theatres adjacent to the temples to present the films.
With moving seats, to give it that real Disneyland feel.
dc

And they rename it. Rather than "The Temple" they rename it "The Fantastic New Improved TEMPLE EXPERIENCE!!" And allow non members, for a fee.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

David13 wrote: January 16th, 2018, 5:24 pm
But what has the potential of greater emotional impact on the audience. Live theater, or the movie version?
I would think ones attitude would have the greater effect.

I like the movie(s).

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

mirkwood wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:22 pm
David13 wrote: January 16th, 2018, 5:24 pm
I would think ones attitude would have the greater effect.

I like the movie(s).
I prefer the 3 dimensional endowment ceremony.
dc

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

David13 wrote: January 16th, 2018, 1:34 pm Yeah, you guys like the film version, and you would probably like it more if they had more special effects, explosions, car chases, and cgis.

I hope that doesn't seem like mocking, but I just don't get it.

Robin Hood, I would much rather sit in a room on chairs facing each other and talk to you, rather than just seeing a video of you. Now, many a person would rather it the other way. So maybe it's just me.

Also, let me again encourage you to visit Utah for that purpose. I know it's a long way for you, but I think it's worth it. Particularly the Salt Lake Temple, but also the Manti Temple, which opened in 1888. You feel the history there.
dc
I've been to both and I find the films are better suited for me. It's not about car chases or explosions or popcorn. I find it more realistic in a clarity sort of way and quite less distracting. I get too nervous for the actors in the live sessions when they mess up compete with each other- who can act better. I'm able to ponderize more. The live sessions were at least a half hour longer too, not that the length of time bothers me, just an FYI. But to each their own. I don't think either one is more correct or more valid.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Crackers wrote: January 16th, 2018, 1:24 pm The film used to be shorter than the live session; not sure it is anymore with the new ones that we have. In the live session you are more aware that you are ascending as you switch rooms. You also can focus on the words of the endowment without the distraction of the visuals and the acting in the films. I tend to get distracted by little things sometimes, such as background sets, dyed hair, shaved chests, ages of characters that seem off, odd facial gestures, etc. The live session takes all of that away. However, watching the films gives variety and can add to the experience in other ways, such as keeping your attention and placing emphasis on different phrases and events. It's nice to have both options, but if I had to choose one, I would go with the film. I can always close my eyes if the movie gets too distracting. Of course, then I get sleepy....
Interesting point of view. It shows me how different we really are.

In the films, with acting the characters seem more like real people to me. On the other hand, I get incredibly distracted by people in the live sessions struggling to recite their lines. And the fact that most of the workers (I can't call them actors) recite lines without anything behind it causes me difficulty considering that real people are being portrayed.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Oh well, in the future, when virtual reality is perfected, everyone in a session will be able to feel like they are right there.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Seems like I only manage to get into sessions that have the old 90's-era film. I know I shouldn't complain about it, but every time I see those asteroids, I just groan. Here comes Melodramatic Satan again, for the umpteenth time in 30 years....

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

h_p wrote: January 17th, 2018, 7:48 am Seems like I only manage to get into sessions that have the old 90's-era film. I know I shouldn't complain about it, but every time I see those asteroids, I just groan. Here comes Melodramatic Satan again, for the umpteenth time in 30 years....
A very important point. Each live session is unique. Just like we are. Each one is different, a new and different experience. Just like life. Just like a new day.

And each time it gives me the opportunity to see the session in a different way, a different aspect of it to look at, to ponder upon. It gives me the opportunity to think new thoughts about it, from new angles, with a new light.

Yes, there are windows, so I'm always aware of the day outside, sunny, or not.

I always put myself into the role of the person in the live session. I mostly know what they are to say. In many cases I could prompt them, but that is the job of the other workers.

I have yet to come across any ham actors, or any acting period, or any big egos, like you get on the big screen. Mostly they just recite the lines, much like reading in Gospel Doctrine, or Priesthood. You want them to read all clear and concise like you do, but they all have their own reading style. Some stumble over certain words, but that's that human element that makes it meaningful to me, as a human myself.

dc

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

h_p wrote: January 17th, 2018, 7:48 am Seems like I only manage to get into sessions that have the old 90's-era film. I know I shouldn't complain about it, but every time I see those asteroids, I just groan. Here comes Melodramatic Satan again, for the umpteenth time in 30 years....
You sound like me. Watching the current movies I'll be distracted with:
An asteroid striking that quickly would throw a lot more material off, most of it above escape velocity.
Meteors wouldn't be leaving plasma trails at such low altitude.
A meteor striking water would be much more impressive.
A meteor striking land would make a much bigger impact.
The moon is way too close to the Earth.
Why do we see a lit crescent of the moon before the sun comes out from behind the moon? It would be all dark until then.
That continent doesn't look anything like Pangaea.

I'm able to focus much more easily after the first creationary period.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

I love this film. It is the shortest. I always am so excited to get it. I know I am 12 minutes closer to the celestial room than I would have been with a different one. The content is all the same so I don’t really care. Other than this one, blond, slightly curly headed Eve movie is my favorite. I would entitle it, “Adams journey”. I love it.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

True wrote: January 18th, 2018, 3:14 pm I love this film. It is the shortest. I always am so excited to get it. I know I am 12 minutes closer to the celestial room than I would have been with a different one.
Maybe that's why they always seem to be showing it in the San Antonio temple. I didn't realize there was such a time difference. Our temple always seems to be short on veil workers. Most of the time, there's only two for the men, and frequently only one, so it's slow-going.