A Special Invitation for Tuesday, January 16

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Latter-day Patriot
captain of 50

A Special Invitation for Tuesday, January 16

Post by Latter-day Patriot »

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from around the world are invited to participate in a live message from President Russell M. Nelson on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. Mountain Standard Time. This message will be shared on all Church broadcast, internet and social media channels in 29 languages. President Nelson’s message will be followed by a press conference at 10:00 a.m. MST.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/s ... t=DlKPMjY0

inho
captain of 1,000

Re: A Special Invitation for Tuesday, January 16

Post by inho »

I wonder if this is going to be the event where they announce that the first presidency has been formed.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

inho wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:38 am I wonder if this is going to be the event where they announce that the first presidency has been formed.
That's exactly what will happen. The only question in my mind is if President Nelson will keep the same counselors. Typically that's the case but President Eyring (one of my favorites) seems to be struggling with age a bit more than others.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

I don't think the announcement of the forming of the first presidency has been broadcasted in so many languages before. If I read the info correctly, the message is translated into 29 languages, but I assume that the press conference is not. I was expecting them to form the first presidency already today. However, this is better. President Nelson has written a message and the translators have now some time to translate it. This allows that people allover the world may listen to the announcement.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

From our local newspaper here in Utah it states:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46236609&nid=1 ... ed-tuesday

SALT LAKE CITY —The new leadership of the LDS Church will be introduced Tuesday.

President Russell M. Nelson will address LDS Church members in a live broadcast starting at 9 a.m. Tuesday. Following his address, President Nelson will deliver a press conference introducing the new church leadership at 10 a.m.

President Nelson's message will be broadcast live on KSL.com, KSL TV, LDS.org and MormonNewsroom.org. It will also be broadcast in 29 languages worldwide via the church's satellite system.

An audio broadcast will air on KSL Newsradio and BYU Radio.

Keep up to date with the latest news on the announcement on KSL.com. For more details about the announcement broadcast, visit MormonNewsroom.org.

I'm guessing that at 9 he will announce to the Church the new leadership. (because it should come to us first) and then at 10 it will be more of a media event, questions and answer type thing. As far as when the leadership is actually formed, we don't know when that actually takes place. It could be tomorrow with nobody but the 12 knowing (and spouses)...OR It could even be already done. :D

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

kittycat51 wrote: January 13th, 2018, 11:12 am ...OR It could even be already done. :D
It's already been done or they wouldn't have scheduled the announcement.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Latter-day Patriot wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:08 am Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from around the world are invited to participate in a live message from President Russell M. Nelson on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. Mountain Standard Time. This message will be shared on all Church broadcast, internet and social media channels in 29 languages. President Nelson’s message will be followed by a press conference at 10:00 a.m. MST.

WILL THE JOSEPHITE BE ANNOUNCED??????

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

shadow wrote: January 13th, 2018, 11:50 am
kittycat51 wrote: January 13th, 2018, 11:12 am ...OR It could even be already done. :D
It's already been done or they wouldn't have scheduled the announcement.
Not necessarily. They might have just scheduled a meeting to form the first presidency without actually doing that already.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Z2100 wrote: January 13th, 2018, 12:25 pm
Latter-day Patriot wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:08 am Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from around the world are invited to participate in a live message from President Russell M. Nelson on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. Mountain Standard Time. This message will be shared on all Church broadcast, internet and social media channels in 29 languages. President Nelson’s message will be followed by a press conference at 10:00 a.m. MST.

No.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

cyclOps wrote: January 13th, 2018, 12:56 pm

No.
I know. I was just being dramatic.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

In the past they didn't do a big media blitz like this right? Isn't this a bit different than before?

So is this maybe the new presidency + something else too?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Unprecedented...

Generic
captain of 50

Post by Generic »

Maybe they'll also announce who the two new apostles are.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

shadow wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:45 am
inho wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:38 am I wonder if this is going to be the event where they announce that the first presidency has been formed.
That's exactly what will happen. The only question in my mind is if President Nelson will keep the same counselors. Typically that's the case but President Eyring (one of my favorites) seems to be struggling with age a bit more than others.
Actually, this isn't what I would call typical. It has happened several times, but many new church presidents replaced one or both counselors.
Young replaced both.
Taylor replaced all three.
Woodruff retained both.
Snow retained both.
Joseph F Smith replaced both.
Grant retained both.
George Albert Smith retained both.
McKay replaced both.
Joseph Fielding Smith retained one.
Lee retained both.
Kimball retained both.
Benson retained one.
Hunter retained both.
Hinckley retained one.
Monson retained one.

Four presidents replaced one counselor.
Four presidents replaced both.
Seven presidents retained both.

Now if anybody can explain why I was curious enough to look this up, I would sincerely appreciate it.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

gardener4life wrote: January 13th, 2018, 5:37 pm In the past they didn't do a big media blitz like this right? Isn't this a bit different than before?

So is this maybe the new presidency + something else too?
I think the biggest difference is that this is translated to several languages. In the past, the announcement and the press conferences were only in English. The church is global, so it makes sense to have a pre-written message which is translated. In the past, the press conference was organized in more quick pace, but now they need to give some time for the translators.

I see this as a very good sign. President Nelson is well aware that the church is international.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

I agree. In fact, I think it would be entirely cool if President Nelson did the whole press conference in Mandarin and the rest of us have to wait for the translation.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I'm with those who think they might announce the two apostles as well.

My husband and I were discussing that last night when I told him about the "special invitation." The brethren have spoken of the weight and burden of missing apostles and the fact that they invited the members at 9 and the press at 10 as well as the many translations, suggests a sort of mini-general conference to sustain and introduce them.

But, I could be wrong.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

No.
I'm being dramatic

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Z2100 wrote: January 14th, 2018, 8:44 am

No.
I'm being dramatic
You already said that.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

All I really know is that I'm glad I don't have an account at AVOW. I would be too tempted to say that I heard from my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate, who works at the church offices, that the callout is being announced on Tuesday.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

brianj wrote: January 14th, 2018, 8:27 pm All I really know is that I'm glad I don't have an account at AVOW. I would be too tempted to say that I heard from my father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate, who works at the church offices, that the callout is being announced on Tuesday.
That was too funny and unexpected! Thank you.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I'm fairly confident of a couple of things.
1. Any new apostles will be announced and sustained at the April general conference.
2. All of the hype is just that.

Pres. Nelson will announce his counsellors and the formation of the First Presidency. This will include warm words about Pres. Monson and others, admonition to the Saints to pray, read the scriptures, and serve others.
The end.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

That was a bit of a surprise.
I didn't expect President Eyring to stay in the first presidency, nor did I expect President Uchtdorf to return to the Quorum.
Then again, I don't think any of us expect it to be long before we're doing this again.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Robin Hood wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:08 am That was a bit of a surprise.
I didn't expect President Eyring to stay in the first presidency, nor did I expect President Uchtdorf to return to the Quorum.
Then again, I don't think any of us expect it to be long before we're doing this again.
I think it will probably be nearly a decade. Elder Nelson seems as healthy as a horse for his age. I've had plenty of ancestors live over 100. Not as uncommon today as in the past.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Michelle wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:21 am
Robin Hood wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:08 am That was a bit of a surprise.
I think it will probably be nearly a decade. Elder Nelson seems as healthy as a horse for his age. I've had plenty of ancestors live over 100. Not as uncommon today as in the past.
I hope it’s not soon. President Nelson is an inspired man. I like this first presidency too and I know it’s what is right.