A Special Invitation for Tuesday, January 16

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: A Special Invitation for Tuesday, January 16

Post by Robin Hood »

Michelle wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:21 am
Robin Hood wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:08 am That was a bit of a surprise.
I didn't expect President Eyring to stay in the first presidency, nor did I expect President Uchtdorf to return to the Quorum.
Then again, I don't think any of us expect it to be long before we're doing this again.
I think it will probably be nearly a decade. Elder Nelson seems as healthy as a horse for his age. I've had plenty of ancestors live over 100. Not as uncommon today as in the past.
I met Pres. Nelson last year.
He is a lot more frail than he appears on screen.
But let's hope you're right.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Robin Hood wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:33 am
I didn't expect President Eyring to stay in the first presidency, nor did I expect President Uchtdorf to return to the Quorum.
Then again, I don't think any of us expect it to be long before we're doing this again.
I think it will probably be nearly a decade. Elder Nelson seems as healthy as a horse for his age. I've had plenty of ancestors live over 100. Not as uncommon today as in the past.
You should know that when a Prophet is called, he receives extra vigor to accomplish that which God wants him to. When you met him he obviously had to travel to England...maybe he had jet lag and was having a bad day. ;)

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

So we heard it again today from President Nelson: "Fifty million people can be wrong."

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

I liked that the second question in the press conference came from Mexican journalist and it was asked in Spanish. If I remember correctly, the press conference where President Monson was announced was completely in English.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

inho wrote: January 16th, 2018, 10:17 am I liked that the second question in the press conference came from Mexican journalist and it was asked in Spanish. If I remember correctly, the press conference where President Monson was announced was completely in English.
Agreed. Apparently President Nelson can understand them. He speaks like 5 languages.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Robin Hood wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:33 am
President Eyring just said in the news conference that according to President Nelson, they will not be “going through this process” again for sometime because of President Nelson’s longevity. I just started laughing as everyone else did in the media.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

One more thing I liked in the press conference, was that they showed his family. President Nelson really has a big family!

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

lundbaek wrote: January 16th, 2018, 9:59 am So we heard it again today from President Nelson: "Fifty million people can be wrong."
What was the context on that. I was talking on the telephone so I didn't get it all. Which, a lot of it (the questions) I didn't like.

Is there a transcript available?
dc

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

The one thing that stood out to me the most was both Brother Hawkins and President Nelson made a point of saying that members of the church live in virtually every country of the world now.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

My apologies, David, I do not remember the context that led me to make the statement that 50 million people can be wrong. I do recall some recent statements on the LDSFF that since most voters support a particular candidate that he must be the best choice. This past Sunday at a fireside in our home the National Chairman of the Constitution Party spoke about The Special Importance of the United States Constitution to Latter-day Saints, and the idea that if most voters support a particular candidate that he must be the best choice was discussed and as far as I could tell unanimously rejected.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

lundbaek wrote: January 16th, 2018, 11:51 am My apologies, David, I do not remember the context that led me to make the statement that 50 million people can be wrong. I do recall some recent statements on the LDSFF that since most voters support a particular candidate that he must be the best choice. This past Sunday at a fireside in our home the National Chairman of the Constitution Party spoke about The Special Importance of the United States Constitution to Latter-day Saints, and the idea that if most voters support a particular candidate that he must be the best choice was discussed and as far as I could tell unanimously rejected.
Utahns will vote for the best person.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Maybe after the "cleansing" Utahans will vote for the most qualified candidates.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

lundbaek wrote: January 16th, 2018, 12:18 pm Maybe after the "cleansing" Utahans will vote for the most qualified candidates.
No cleansing needed, they will vote for the best candidate, which will also be the most qualified.

Of course, we don't know who all the candidates are yet.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Arenera wrote: January 16th, 2018, 12:10 pm
lundbaek wrote: January 16th, 2018, 11:51 am My apologies, David, I do not remember the context that led me to make the statement that 50 million people can be wrong. I do recall some recent statements on the LDSFF that since most voters support a particular candidate that he must be the best choice. This past Sunday at a fireside in our home the National Chairman of the Constitution Party spoke about The Special Importance of the United States Constitution to Latter-day Saints, and the idea that if most voters support a particular candidate that he must be the best choice was discussed and as far as I could tell unanimously rejected.
Utahns will vote for the best person.
I wish. I lived in Provo while John Curtis was mayor. I am so disappointed he is our Congressman now.

People in Utah are just people. Most vote on name recognition and for a party not a person.

I do not believe John Curtis is the best person for the job, anymore than Orrin Hatch was.

Edit: yes I know Hatch was a Senator and Curtis is a Congressman