Deleted

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
jsk
captain of 100

Re: Recommend me some good charities to donate to

Post by jsk »

Increase your fast offering or donate to the Perpetual Education Fund.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

The Human Fund

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

https://liahonachildren.org/

Also, help out Bananikka's efforts a little here would surely be appreciated:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47464

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

What is important to you? What do you want to support?

One charity I have donated to is a ballet foundation because I support their effort to bring art and beauty to the community.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Ask God in sincere prayer. Years ago I received a small inheritance (about $500.oo) and was planning on spending it on gliding. Then I got the word to spend it on genealogical research, including T&L. The results were amazing to me.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

https://www.gofundme.com/nature-conservation-land-trust

I’m trying to get help with this. After the current managing body is removed they will replace them with me. It would make for quite the refuge for the hard times that are ahead of us in this county. Which is my plan to make this place a refuge for anyone who comes during trying times where they will have food water and a space to grow more food if needed. But I would like to have the property set up to be a permaculture food forest so there is plenty of food growing for both people and animals.
Last edited by Ezra on January 12th, 2018, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

Operation underground railroad

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Joel wrote: January 12th, 2018, 7:05 pmThe Human Fund
George, they checked and there is no yooman fund.
dc

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

5tev3 wrote: January 12th, 2018, 8:35 pm Operation underground railroad
I second this suggestion.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I have spend considerable time with people who ran and worked for charities. One was the most corrupt person I've ever known. The others have used the money to do "service" vacations. I'm sure good charities exist, but I doubt you'll be able to find them.

Actually, right after I posted that, I forgot about a charity I found about a year ago: The Young Living Foundation. One hundred percent of any money donated goes to the cause (which I have verified). I don't know what all the causes are because they add new ones all the time, but that is the only charity I would trust to give money to.
https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/compa ... foundation

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

If you truly want blessings in heaven don't donate to any charities... But give to the widow, the fatherless and God's poor .. and not with the idea of receiving praise or a tax write off... but if you just want a tax write off, then, well, just take your pick..

Mathew 6

Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 3But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: 4That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly...

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

I would go to your local hospital and pay off the Hospital bill of a small child or baby.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

OCDMOM wrote: January 12th, 2018, 10:33 pm I would go to your local hospital and pay off the Hospital bill of a small child or baby.
I like the thought but I would not donate directly to the medical establishment/sorcerers.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

David13 wrote: January 12th, 2018, 9:08 pm
Joel wrote: January 12th, 2018, 7:05 pmThe Human Fund
George, they checked and there is no yooman fund.
dc
It's a festivus for the rest of us.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 12th, 2018, 6:42 pm I recently got an inheritance and am looking at different charities. I love animal charities and am a big contributor to the Humane Society since I'm an animal loving vegetarian. Suggest some charities that I can look into.
American Heart Association

Hopefully some funding will help them be a bit more thorough.
https://news.heart.org/diet-soda-and-dementia-risk-study/ wrote:
venita Bradley April 21, 2017 at 9:18 pm
I have seen the effect aspartame has on seizures, but what about things like stevia.they are natural and organic
Dr. Gundry prolly knows :lol:

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

harakim wrote: January 12th, 2018, 10:22 pm I have spend considerable time with people who ran and worked for charities. One was the most corrupt person I've ever known. The others have used the money to do "service" vacations. I'm sure good charities exist, but I doubt you'll be able to find them.

Actually, right after I posted that, I forgot about a charity I found about a year ago: The Young Living Foundation. One hundred percent of any money donated goes to the cause (which I have verified). I don't know what all the causes are because they add new ones all the time, but that is the only charity I would trust to give money to.
https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/compa ... foundation
I would add my voice to Harakim's. One day I was with my old boss in CA and we were talking with a small group about easy businesses to start up and do. Very early on someone mentioned a legally IRS approved charity because they are the easiest type of business to do anything you want, have the most freedom, and basically steal from.

We didn't do it and I didn't like that idea. But I did research it.

It's true that charities are the easiest business to even legally steal from. You can inflate almost any amount you want in a charity to administration costs. And many charities do this and can get away with it without it even being considered a crime. They just show it's you know...necessary for the business. That BMW was necessary because the 'charity' needs a vehicle to transport goods...

And its legit because you know...it's IRS approved even. Many of the organizations sending funds to the Muslim Brotherhood and others are legal charities in the US. And a lot of them will even claim that all or most of their money absolutely goes to needy people. I wouldn't trust any charity if I were you. Even if they don't steal from it they can't be more efficient about their money than you can. Even charities that claim to be legit, end up having hired salary people at some point and often that was the whole point from the beginning. But they will still say that it all goes to the needy.

It irks me that when you go to the grocery store for example they always ask people to donate a $1 for breast cancer and there's absolutely ZERO accountability to show where that money is really going. No one knows. There's nothing to show where the money went. And accountants are clever at misdirecting where money goes. An accountant or lawyer will say...no way they can't steal! It's against the rules. Well, how are they going to check it? What happens when people think 'they deserve a better life' and free money is in front of them. They know nobody will ever be able to prove that cash wasn't 'theirs'.

And early on the problem is promoted by young people growing up being taught, "I'm blessed and chosen by God. I deserve a higher lifestyle. I deserve to have access to nice things...without having to work hard for them."

So this is a very complex problem.

You should help the poor. That's in the scriptures. And it's wonderful that you are thinking this way.

Doctrine and Covenants 42:34,37
34 Therefore, the residue shall be kept in my storehouse, to administer to the poor and the needy, as shall be appointed by the high council of the church, and the bishop and his council; (The Lord suggests an organized pattern of not disbursing it all at once, but letting it out slowly for efficiency and making sure it goes to the right people.)

Alma 1:27
27 And they did impart of their substance, every man according to that which he had, to the poor, and the needy, and the sick, and the afflicted; and they did not wear costly apparel, yet they were neat and comely.

Mormon 8:37
37 For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted.

So I would encourage you to help the poor and needy. Christ's own words are that when you do so to your brothers and sisters you also do unto me. But I would not trust a charity that is a business...BECAUSE they are a business. Charity works better if you do it yourself or through the church, where you know it will go to where it's supposed to go. If a charity is out there with a sign and a name then it's more of a business than a charity and that's been my inspiration that I felt in thinking about them. A business is for income not necessarily to serve. But they will produce all kinds of 'evidences' to say otherwise.

I also would encourage you to help people first before animals. There's nothing wrong with animals. (I'm not against animals; animals were even given to us to help teach us how to treat each other as brothers and sisters.) **But you will gain more blessings by helping your brothers and sisters first. And don't you want blessings?**(When dealing with people you can also think about how to do so safely. There shouldn't be a perception that you have lots of money, or identification of who you are or where you live. I wouldn't also suggest helping people at night or alone too much. Try to do so during the day and in ways you can protect yourself. Avoid being vulnerable.)

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Salvation Army

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 13th, 2018, 5:21 am I think I need to up my donations to fast offerings and humanitarian aid on lds.org
Good job. And by so doing you are also escalating your faith.

Matthew 25:40,45

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I would also use it to get out of debt before I donate it to a charity.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I would also use it to get out of debt before I donate it to a charity.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Charity begins at home

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Robin Hood wrote: January 13th, 2018, 5:52 am Salvation Army
Much prefer them over the Red Cross, especially having come across:

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2018/ ... money.html Or it could be a “spoofed” video. :twisted:

Anyway consider “charity begins at home” where Home is where you are right now. :P

Image support/

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

ME :P

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 13th, 2018, 5:21 am I think I need to up my donations to fast offerings and humanitarian aid on lds.org
If you’re looking for financial transparency to ensure your donations are most effective, I’d reconsider.

Charity Navigator might help at least in screening charities:
https://www.charitynavigator.org

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 16th, 2018, 4:27 pm
Thinker wrote: January 16th, 2018, 2:40 pm
If you’re looking for financial transparency to ensure your donations are most effective, I’d reconsider.

Charity Navigator might help at least in screening charities:
https://www.charitynavigator.org
I'm open to any charity so if you could some suggest you like I'll look into them. It doesn't have to be church related, I know the church has plenty of money.
Ok. As mentioned by others, it’s always best to study it out & pray - which may be why you started this thread. I really like the idea of microloans. When I read about extreme poverty, I learned that there are different “rungs” on the economic ladder. Those who have been subject to multiple hardships (natural disaster, war, bad location for trade etc) absolutely require help to even get on the first rung. So I think microloans are excellent ideas that give people help with pride because they do repay & I think they eventually help others. Kiva seems to have good ratings: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index. ... rgid=12978

Red Cross has been known to be one of the first on the ground for big and more local needs. However, they lack info to be rated (kind of like the church) - though maybe you could find more through another charity “navigator.”