President Thomas S Monson passed away.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
cyclOps
captain of 1,000

President Thomas S Monson passed away.

Post by cyclOps »

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46228650&nid=1 ... es-tuesday

Breaking news! We all knew it was coming. He was a great man who will be missed! I know he was a prophet of God. I also know that President Nelson has been prepared by the Lord for a couple of years now.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Re: President Thomas S Monson passed away.

Post by Spaced_Out »

Yip, well overdue for a rest.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

died at his home at 10:01 p.m. surrounded by his family, according to church spokesperson Eric Hawkins.
Hopefully peacefully.

Interesting times we live in. It will be interesting to see who the next Apostles will be.

I used to wonder if Monson and Holland were some of the "three nephites" (not really though, but in a fun way) because for so long they never seemed to age. Monson was around 'forever', always had interesting stories to tell.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

So happy for him!! He graduated:). The spirit confirmed to me that he was chosen to be a prophet of the Lord a few months before he was. I love that he was the prophet while my children were young because they actually listened to him because of his stories. This is what I appreciate most about him.
Way to go president Monson!!!

Sasquatch
captain of 50

Post by Sasquatch »

God be with you till we meet again.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"Thomas Spencer Monson:
Born August 21, 1927, in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
Served in the U.S. Naval Reserve.
Studied business at the University of Utah.
Married Frances Johnson on October 7, 1948, in the Salt Lake Temple.
Called to be a bishop at age 22, a counselor in the stake presidency at age 27, and a mission president in Canada at age 31.
Became an Apostle in 1963 at age 36—the youngest Apostle called since 1910.
Earned a master’s degree in business administration while serving as an Apostle.
Served as a counselor in the First Presidency for 22 years.
Set apart and ordained as the 16th President of the Church on February 3, 2008."
Elizabeth wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 3:41 am https://www.lds.org/people/thomas-s-mon ... _&lang=eng

"Thomas Spencer Monson, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, passed away on January 2, 2018, ( US time) at the age of 90.
On October 16, 1963, Thomas Spencer Monson, age 36, stood at the pulpit in the Salt Lake Tabernacle at general conference. Newly called to lifelong service as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, the youngest in 53 years, he bore testimony, saying, “I know that God lives, my brothers and sisters. There is no question in my mind. I know that this is His work.”
His life, not just his years of service in the highest quorums of the Church, were marked by his constant attention to those in need. For more than 50 years, President Monson reached out to rescue the lonely, bereft, unnoticed, and unrecognized. He gave the clothes off his back and the shoes off his feet; he spent countless hours with widows and those in care centers and hospitals; he gave comfort and encouragement to those discouraged, lacking faith, or far from home; he shared his cheerful nature with anyone in his path. “I know that the sweetest experience in all this life is to feel His promptings as He directs us in the furtherance of His work.” Familiar to so many of his visits to the elderly, sometimes late in the evening, was their welcome, “I knew you’d come.”
Each of us can do something to help someone was his theme for decades. He taught, “Unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives.” His reminder of the Lord’s service is clear: “He is our Redeemer; He is our Mediator with the Father. He loves us with a love we cannot fully comprehend, and because He loves us, He gave His life for us.”
Thomas S. Monson spent countless hours with widows and those in care centers and hospitals, giving comfort and encouragement. “We seek after Jesus and so it has ever been,” President Monson has explained. “No search is so universal. No undertaking so richly rewarding. No effort so ennobling. No purpose so divine.”
“He is our Master. He is our Savior. He is the Son of God. He is the Author of our salvation. He beckons, ‘Follow me.’ He instructs, ‘Go, and do thou likewise.’ He pleads, ‘Keep my commandments.’ Let us follow Him. Let us emulate His example. Let us obey His words.”
His words were telling: “Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world. This is the Jesus whom we seek,” President Monson has said. “This is our brother whom we love. This is Christ the Lord, whom we serve. I testify that He lives, for I speak as one who has found Him.”

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

...and his parents. Why do so many forget the parents?
CelestialAngel wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 11:28 am I'm giddy thinking about his reunion with Frances on the other side. Remember that life goes on and he will be rewarded for his lifetime of hard work to the gospel. Mourning is natural, but be happy that he is reunited with his beloved companion.