Hatch to Retire - Possible Senator Romney?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Arenera
captain of 1,000

Re: Hatch to Retire - Possible Senator Romney?

Post by Arenera »

Romney fits Benson’s talk better than any Mormons, to who the talk is addressed.

70% of Utahns will vote for Romney, who will make a difference. Not just talk, actually doing.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Arenera wrote: January 8th, 2018, 6:27 pm Let’s grade Romney on the scale.
1. First and foremost, we must be righteous.
Romney, served as a Bishop and Stake President. Father of 5 sons, 5 daughters-in-law, 23 grandchildren.

Grade: A+
2. Second, we must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers.
Romney is a champion of the Constitution, and State Rights.

Grade: A
3. Third, we must become involved in civic affairs to see that we are properly represented.
Govenor, ran for President. A megaphone in the Republican Party.

4. Fourth, we must make our influence felt by our vote, our letters, our teaching, and our advice.
Again, Romney is well known and has pulled together decision makers from around the country. 2002 Winter Olympics.

Grade A+

So, Romney is the real deal. Lives up very well to President Benson’s talk.

No wonder why Romney will win 70%!

Only 1% of the population of the USA believe that Romney is constitutional.

Only 1 % believes him to be righteous.

Only 1 % of people who voted for him for president did so because he was lds. 70% of that 1 percentage were from Utah. The rest of the people who voted for Romney did so because they didn’t want to vote for Obama but there wasn’t any other choice unfortunately.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Arenera wrote: January 8th, 2018, 7:36 pm Romney fits Benson’s talk better than any Mormons, to who the talk is addressed.

70% of Utahns will vote for Romney, who will make a difference. Not just talk, actually doing.
How so? Can you elaborate?

Romney made his livelihood as essentially a corporate raider, who did profitably restructure some of the corporations he got his hands on; those he didn't completely dismember. This experience probably helped him get the Utah Winter Olympics back on track . . . . cutting out waste, etc. And he was governor of Massachusetts. This is something. But how is he regarded in Massachusetts by the majority of the State?

Unfortunately, this kind of experience didn't seem to help him understand many of the serious problems of this nation. One of which is the so-called 'free-trade' vs. fair trade issue, etc. And I've see little understanding of the Constitution from anything he's said that I've heard.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

larsenb wrote: January 8th, 2018, 7:58 pm
Arenera wrote: January 8th, 2018, 7:36 pm Romney fits Benson’s talk better than any Mormons, to who the talk is addressed.

Romney made his livelihood as essentially a corporate raider, who did profitably restructure some of the corporations he got his hands on; those he didn't completely dismember. This experience probably helped him get the Utah Winter Olympics back on track . . . . cutting out waste, etc. And he was governor of Massachusetts. This is something. But how is he regarded in Massachusetts by the majority of the State?

Unfortunately, this kind of experience didn't seem to help him understand many of the serious problems of this nation. One of which is the so-called 'free-trade' vs. fair trade issue, etc. And I've see little understanding of the Constitution from anything he's said that I've heard.
You picked the talk, Romney matches perfectly.

Well, 70% of Utah is behind Romney, this is why.
Romney, served as a Bishop and Stake President. Father of 5 sons, 5 daughters-in-law, 23 grandchildren.

2. Second, we must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers.

3. Third, we must become involved in civic affairs to see that we are properly represented.

4. Fourth, we must make our influence felt by our vote, our letters, our teaching, and our advice.
Again, Romney is well known and has pulled together decision makers from around the country. 2002 Winter Olympics.

Grade A+

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Arenera wrote: January 8th, 2018, 8:09 pm
larsenb wrote: January 8th, 2018, 7:58 pm

You picked the talk, Romney matches perfectly.

Well, 70% of Utah is behind Romney, this is why.

Grade A+

Being righteous in these areas is certainly a plus. But how consistent has he been outside of the Church arena? That is the question. How many people did he put out of jobs during his career as a corporate raider, for instance? I don't know, but would guess the number is considerable. Is this righteous?

Here's Mitt with some of his Bain Capital cronies. Mitt's in the front-middle:
Romney cash in pockets.JPG
Romney cash in pockets.JPG (40.02 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
I don't see him as a champion of the Constitution and States Rights. Any examples? Has he stood up for his fellow LDS members in their battle against the BLM, etc., for instance? He would probably condemn them, if I have any feeling for where the guy would come down on this issue.

He has become involved in civic affairs. I'll grant him that. He's also able to do this because of his money. But I think his Hinckley Institute speech was absolutely egregious and awful. Again, I think this speech warranted Church condemnation. This isn't the kind of 'civic involvement' I want to see in anyone I support. And his condemnation of Judge Moore was uncalled for. Here is a guy who was fighting for the simple display of the Ten Commandments in public areas, even governmental areas, and Romney publicly condemns him and has him convicted in public of sexual crimes before any contrary evidence/witnesses could surface. Not the kind of guy I want to support. Sorry.

And there are other issues where he makes me grate my teeth. I'll never forget him covering his head with a newspaper and scurrying for cover when he was asked some serious questions about 9/11. Not too impressive, in my view.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

"Romney is a champion of the Constitution, and State Rights." That is hogwash

He "ran for President" on a platform based on unconstitutional principles.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

You are fortunate if 51% of people will vote for you.

When 70% of people vote for you, you are well liked. When you go negative against the person, it back fires.

If you beat cancer, maybe more than 70% will vote for you.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Arenera wrote: January 8th, 2018, 8:51 pm You are fortunate if 51% of people will vote for you.

When 70% of people vote for you, you are well liked. When you go negative against the person, it back fires.

Only 1% agree with you.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Ezra wrote: January 8th, 2018, 8:54 pm
Arenera wrote: January 8th, 2018, 8:51 pm You are fortunate if 51% of people will vote for you.

Only 1% agree with you.
70%.
On "Fox & Friends" on Wednesday, Chaffetz, who served as the representative for Utah's 3rd congressional district from 2009 until 2017, said he thinks Romney "certainly" will run.

"He's one of the most beloved figures, he has a home in Holladay, Utah, he attended Brigham Young University, he saved Utah for the Olympics in 2002, he was the presidential nominee. He's going to win," Chaffetz said.

LeastDisplayOfMind
captain of 10

Post by LeastDisplayOfMind »

I would be happy if Romney were a senator from a blue or purple state, but ruby-red Utah has a prime opportunity to replace Hatch with a constitutionalist. I don't know who that would be, because I am not a Utahn and don't know the field. Any ideas from the Utahns here? Maybe we can clone Sen. Lee? :)

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

There are LDSs in Utah who understand and espouse the principles of the US Constitution and who have run for the Utah state legislature and for the US Senate and "House". Some ran as Republicans, others a members of the Constitution Party. Judging by the vote count, they never stood a chance.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Only 1% agree with you.
I couldn't even tell what he was trying to say.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Arenera wrote: January 8th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Only 1% agree with you.
70%.
On "Fox & Friends" on Wednesday, Chaffetz, who served as the representative for Utah's 3rd congressional district from 2009 until 2017, said he thinks Romney "certainly" will run.

"He's one of the most beloved figures, he has a home in Holladay, Utah, he attended Brigham Young University, he saved Utah for the Olympics in 2002, he was the presidential nominee. He's going to win," Chaffetz said.
1%

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Here is the fantastic man who some people think should represent the people of Utah.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Jon Huntsman Sr. backs Mitt Romney for Senate, says he’d represent Utah ‘very, very well’
Washington • Jon Huntsman Sr. has joined a growing chorus of prominent Utahns in encouraging Mitt Romney to run for the Senate in 2018 now that Sen. Orrin Hatch is retiring at the end of his term.

Huntsman, who had backed several of Romney’s previous political campaigns but who funded his son Jon Huntsman Jr.’s 2012 bid for president over Romney, says he believes the former Massachusetts governor and now-Utah resident would be a great fit in the Senate at a critical time.

“I have to say that he would represent Utah very, very well,” Huntsman Sr. told The Salt Lake Tribune. “He’d bring credibility to the United States Senate. I believe Mitt has gone through enough political, business and civic leadership that he would be probably the most articulate and knowledgeable senator that we would have in the U.S. Senate today. I would be a strong and wholehearted supporter of Mitt.”

“He’ll take it issue by issue and if he concurs with the president, he’ll let his feelings be known positively,” Huntsman Sr. said. “I have a good feeling about Mitt right now. He and the president will see eye to eye on many things and there’ll be a number of issues, of course, that they’ll find honest disagreement with. That’s OK. That’s part of the job.”
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/20 ... very-well/

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Arenera wrote: January 9th, 2018, 8:04 am Jon Huntsman Sr. backs Mitt Romney for Senate, says he’d represent Utah ‘very, very well’
Washington • Jon Huntsman Sr. has joined a growing chorus of prominent Utahns in encouraging Mitt Romney to run for the Senate in 2018 now that Sen. Orrin Hatch is retiring at the end of his term.

Huntsman, who had backed several of Romney’s previous political campaigns but who funded his son Jon Huntsman Jr.’s 2012 bid for president over Romney, says he believes the former Massachusetts governor and now-Utah resident would be a great fit in the Senate at a critical time.

“I have to say that he would represent Utah very, very well,” Huntsman Sr. told The Salt Lake Tribune. “He’d bring credibility to the United States Senate. I believe Mitt has gone through enough political, business and civic leadership that he would be probably the most articulate and knowledgeable senator that we would have in the U.S. Senate today. I would be a strong and wholehearted supporter of Mitt.”

“He’ll take it issue by issue and if he concurs with the president, he’ll let his feelings be known positively,” Huntsman Sr. said. “I have a good feeling about Mitt right now. He and the president will see eye to eye on many things and there’ll be a number of issues, of course, that they’ll find honest disagreement with. That’s OK. That’s part of the job.”
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/20 ... very-well/
I agree, he would represent the politics of Utah very well. He would represent the ignorance of and disdain for the constitution.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Crackers wrote: January 9th, 2018, 8:27 am I agree, he would represent the politics of Utah very well. He would represent the ignorance of and disdain for the constitution.
These are harsh words.

It's 2018, not 1810. All mormons I know love the constitution.

It might be helpful if some of you would "explain" your constitution. Just what is it that mormons don't support. Remember, it's 2018.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Arenera wrote: January 9th, 2018, 8:33 am
Crackers wrote: January 9th, 2018, 8:27 am I agree, he would represent the politics of Utah very well. He would represent the ignorance of and disdain for the constitution.
These are harsh words.

It might be helpful if some of you would "explain" your constitution. Just what is it that mormons don't support. Remember, it's 2018.
Strange way you formulate your question. Are you really wanting someone to respond or are you playing a game?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Fiannan wrote: January 9th, 2018, 11:01 am
Arenera wrote: January 9th, 2018, 8:33 am
These are harsh words.

Strange way you formulate your question. Are you really wanting someone to respond or are you playing a game?
You guys are claiming people are ignorant and have disdain for the constitution, I don't know of any mormons in that category.

So, how do you "define" the constitution? Give examples.

I'm thinking your definition fits 1810. Well, we are in 2018. Like Federal Income Tax. You may not like it, but it is part of our life.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

You guys are claiming people are ignorant and have disdain for the constitution, I don't know of any mormons in that category.
How many regular Mormon people can identify 5 rights contained in any of the Bill of Rights? That is ignorance. Ask the average young middle-aged person how many characters they can identify from the TV series "Friends" or how many younger Mormons can identify all the Kardashian sisters.
So, how do you "define" the constitution? Give examples.

I'm thinking your definition fits 1810. Well, we are in 2018. Like Federal Income Tax. You may not like it, but it is part of our life.
There is only one US Constitution. I am not sure why you keep referencing 1810. Of course maybe you are mocking strict constructionists as opposed to the left that sees the Constitution as a living document akin to an amoeba that can be filled into any form the left chooses to impose upon it.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

1st Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Mormons meet peaceably on Sundays for 3 hours.
Last edited by Arenera on January 9th, 2018, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Second Amendment

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The Second Amendment protects the individual right to keep and bear arms. The concept of such a right existed within English common law long before the enactment of the Bill of Rights. First codified in the English Bill of Rights of 1689 (but there only applying to Protestants), this right was enshrined in fundamental laws of several American states during the Revolutionary era, including the 1776 Virginia Declaration of Rights and the Pennsylvania Constitution of 1776. Long a controversial issue in American political, legal, and social discourse, the Second Amendment has been at the heart of several Supreme Court decisions.

In United States v. Cruikshank (1875), the Court ruled that "[t]he right to bear arms is not granted by the Constitution; neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. The Second Amendment means no more than that it shall not be infringed by Congress, and has no other effect than to restrict the powers of the National Government."
In United States v. Miller (1939), the Court ruled that the amendment "[protects arms that had a] reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia".
In District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment "codified a pre-existing right" and that it "protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home" but also stated that "the right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose".
In McDonald v. Chicago (2010), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment limits state and local governments to the same extent that it limits the federal government.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Third Amendment

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

The Third Amendment restricts the quartering of soldiers in private homes, in response to Quartering Acts passed by the British parliament during the Revolutionary War. The amendment is one of the least controversial of the Constitution, and, as of 2016, has never been the primary basis of a Supreme Court decision.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Fourth Amendment

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The Fourth Amendment guards against unreasonable searches and seizures, along with requiring any warrant to be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause. It was adopted as a response to the abuse of the writ of assistance, which is a type of general search warrant, in the American Revolution. Search and seizure (including arrest) must be limited in scope according to specific information supplied to the issuing court, usually by a law enforcement officer who has sworn by it. The amendment is the basis for the exclusionary rule, which mandates that evidence obtained illegally cannot be introduced into a criminal trial. The amendment's interpretation has varied over time; its protections expanded under left-leaning courts such as that headed by Earl Warren and contracted under right-leaning courts such as that of William Rehnquist.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Fifth Amendment

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

The Fifth Amendment protects against double jeopardy and self-incrimination and guarantees the rights to due process, grand jury screening of criminal indictments, and compensation for the seizure of private property under eminent domain. The amendment was the basis for the court's decision in Miranda v. Arizona (1966), which established that defendants must be informed of their rights to an attorney and against self-incrimination prior to interrogation by police.
Anyone pleading the Fifth?