Hatch to Retire - Possible Senator Romney?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
skmo
captain of 1,000

Hatch to Retire - Possible Senator Romney?

Post by skmo »

Utah's Hatch to retire, opening door to possible Romney run

If Hatch does retire, do you think Romney would run? Would you want him to? If not, who in Utah do you think would be a good choice?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Re: Hatch to Retire - Possible Senator Romney?

Post by Arenera »

skmo wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 1:29 pm Utah's Hatch to retire, opening door to possible Romney run

If Hatch does retire, do you think Romney would run? Would you want him to? If not, who in Utah do you think would be a good choice?
Romney is so popular at LDSFF, he is sure to win in a landslide.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Shouldn't we wait until McMuffin tells us who good moral people should support?

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Arenera wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 1:41 pm
skmo wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 1:29 pm Utah's Hatch to retire, opening door to possible Romney run

Trump got in as president from his popularity. If that’s how we should vote let’s just find the Most popular person in Utah to run. Who cares about their political views.

Vote for the most popular.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Ezra wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 1:52 pm

Trump got in as president from his popularity. If that’s how we should vote let’s just find the Most popular person in Utah to run. Who cares about their political views.

Being popular in Utah is important. Romney has been quiet....maybe he will be a new apostle...

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Arenera wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 2:02 pm

Romney has been quiet....maybe he will be a new apostle...
Are you serious? This is a bit pollyannish thinking if you ask me.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Being popular in Utah is important. Romney has been quiet....maybe he will be a new apostle...
Yeah.... that's where I'm putting my money/sarc.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

kittycat51 wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 2:12 pm

President Nelson was a well known heart surgeon when he became an apostle. Elder Oaks was on the Utah Supreme Court when he became an apostle.

Romney has served as a bishop and stake president. He is a good man.

You don’t think someone who has been a politician could be an apostle?

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Arenera wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 2:20 pm

President Nelson was a well known heart surgeon when he became an apostle. Elder Oaks was on the Utah Supreme Court when he became an apostle.

I just don't think Romney could be an apostle. And I'd be willing to bet the farm on that one. ;)

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Crackers wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 2:26 pm
Arenera wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 2:20 pm

I just don't think Romney could be an apostle. And I'd be willing to bet the farm on that one. ;)
What do you mean by could? Some didn’t like Saul. Romney isn’t close to Saul.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

all apostles are politicians, but not all politicians are apostles.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Trump was popular enough to win the Presidency because of his political views, not the other way around. However, Romney just may win a Senate race because he's so popular with many LDS, not because of his political views . . . . which are almost strictly of the neocon variety.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

larsenb wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 2:33 pm

Trump was popular enough to win the Presidency because of his political views, not the other way around. However, Romney just may win a Senate race because he's so popular with many LDS, not because of his political views . . . . which are almost strictly of the neocon variety.
I said Romney is very popular here. Like a nocoen.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

larsenb wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 2:33 pm

I think his name got him elected more then his political views. There are some who voted for him because he “acted” like he was anti establishment. But if he was some multi millionaire that had never had his name and face in the media’s spotlight he would have gotten zero attention.
The terminator would have never won an election in Cali as governor if he wasn’t famous.
Trump would have never been president if he wasn’t famous.

The sheeple of the USA vote for what’s popular. Or what lines their pockets the most. Not what is right or good.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Glad he has been quiet. He won’t be the next apostle.
Harry Reid has been quite too. He won’t be the next apostle either.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Ezra wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 3:49 pm

71% of Utahns would vote for Romney.

How will Trump and Bannon try to stop that? Lots of fake and accusations coming.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

I live in Utah. Romney will take Hatch's place. Case closed.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Crackers wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 2:26 pm I just don't think Romney could be an apostle. And I'd be willing to bet the farm on that one. ;)
I'll take that action.

I firmly believe that whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies. I have held callings that I could never effectively fulfill, and I have seen people called as Bishops who could not possibly do the job. But when I was called, I was qualified. When those others were called, they were qualified.

If the Lord calls Mitt Romney through prophecy, and if Romney accepts, he will be qualified to serve in that calling. and he will do very well as long as he puts his effort into it.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Arenera wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 6:44 pm
Ezra wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 3:49 pm

71% of Utahns would vote for Romney.

How will Trump and Bannon try to stop that? Lots of fake and accusations coming.
71% of idiots agree that butterfly’s are whales.

How will trump and Bannon stop that? Lots of fake and accusations coming.

Still won’t make Romney or Reed an apostle and won’t make either a good choice for ensuring freedom of citizens.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Between 3 and 6 pm EST today, Mitt Romney's Facebook profile changed location from "Massachusetts" to "Holladay, UT"

What could have happened today to prompt that? Did he move?

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Quotes from mit Romney

I believe in an America where millions of Americans believe in an America that's the America millions of Americans believe in.

That's the America I love." –Mitt Romney (January 2012)

Tomorrow we begin a new tomorrow." –Mitt Romney on his final day of campaigning, Nov. 5, 2012

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. My job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives." -Mitt Romney, in leaked comments from a fundraiser in May 2012

Actually, I didn't say that." –Mitt Romney, when asked about his oft-cited quote that 47 percent of Americans can't be persuaded to take personal responsibility, Washington Post interview, July 28, 2013

Is $100,000 middle income?" -George Stephanopoulos
"No, middle income is $200,000 to $250,000 and less." -Mitt Romney, ABC's "Good Morning America," Sept. 14, 2012

"When you give a speech you don't go through a laundry list, you talk about the things that you think are important." –Mitt Romney, when asked about failing to mention the troops in his nomination speech at the Republican National Convention, Fox News interview (Sept. 7, 2012)

I'm not familiar precisely with what I said, but I'll stand by what I said, whatever it was." —Mitt Romney (May 17, 2012

Some flip flops

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... lip-flops/

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Utah deserves Romney, no, not they perhaps 20% or so of Utah residents (active, inactive or maybe non-members) who actually use their brains and their spiritual insights to navigate through all there is in life, but the 80% who are either way off the deep end, or who may as well erase their cognitive functions and go with the flow; they deserve Romney.

Sad part is that Romney will become the new John McCain in dissing Trump and supporting the neo-con agenda.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I could see Romney being a slight improvement on Hatch. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was worse, but I'll choose optimism. Utah will pick a good ol' boy Republican, so it really doesn't matter to me if he runs or not. Whoever gets picked will be like him. But If he does, that is one Republican convention I would NOT want to be a delegate at.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Both Mitt Romney and Orrin Hatch have demonstrated disdain for the principles of the US Constitution to such an extent that I question the integrity of both of them, as well as their political persuasions. When Mitt Romney went about Arizona stumping for the last re-election of Senator McCain, I saw no further hope for him. Until then I hoped he would become aware of his responsibility to uphold and abide by the principle of the US Constitution. Maybe in taking the oath to support the Constitution he would be inspired to change his ways, although that never did it for Orrin Hatch.