Hatch to Retire - Possible Senator Romney?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Hatch to Retire - Possible Senator Romney?

Post by lundbaek »

It would appear (to anyone who studied the issues carefully) that Mitt Romney considers mandatory government-run healthcare, war without a declaration of war by the Congress, "Bailouts" of floundering businesses with taxpayer money, denial of trial and the right of habeus corpus to those accused (not found guilty) of perceived terrorism, specifically the National Defense Authorization Act, and the Patriot Act, which allows homes to be entered and searched without probable cause, to be good

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

lundbaek wrote: January 18th, 2018, 9:41 am It would appear (to anyone who studied the issues carefully) that Mitt Romney considers mandatory government-run healthcare, war without a declaration of war by the Congress, "Bailouts" of floundering businesses with taxpayer money, denial of trial and the right of habeus corpus to those accused (not found guilty) of perceived terrorism, specifically the National Defense Authorization Act, and the Patriot Act, which allows homes to be entered and searched without probable cause, to be good
You think? Maybe? Maybe not?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

70%. That is the expected percentage of those voting for Romney versus the other candidates. 70%.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Arenera wrote: January 18th, 2018, 10:20 am 70%. That is the expected percentage of those voting for Romney versus the other candidates. 70%.
Yeah, you've said that a lot. Have not mentioned why they should vote for him though, not really specifically. Do you agree with his support for women to choose abortion if they want, or do you support his stand to protect human life in the womb and reverse Roe v. Wade?

Oh, and again, have you had a chance to form an opinion on Evan McMullin? You could just go to his twitter page. He has 422 thousand followers which is pretty good and thus must make him righteous.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Fiannan wrote: January 18th, 2018, 12:07 pm
Arenera wrote: January 18th, 2018, 10:20 am 70%. That is the expected percentage of those voting for Romney versus the other candidates. 70%.
Yeah, you've said that a lot. Have not mentioned why they should vote for him though, not really specifically. Do you agree with his support for women to choose abortion if they want, or do you support his stand to protect human life in the womb and reverse Roe v. Wade?

Oh, and again, have you had a chance to form an opinion on Evan McMullin? You could just go to his twitter page. He has 422 thousand followers which is pretty good and thus must make him righteous.
Utahns have vetted Romney, that is why he has 70% acceptance.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Arenera wrote: January 18th, 2018, 12:15 pm

You catch the irony of that statement? Where do 70% of people in Utah get their news and information?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Fiannan wrote: January 18th, 2018, 12:23 pm

You catch the irony of that statement? Where do 70% of people in Utah get their news and information?

You make fun of Utahns. Is that Mormon-Like?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

You make fun of Utahns. Is that Mormon-Like?
Are you assuming the only people who vote Romney are Mormon?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Mitt Romney skirts question about Senate run in tech summit speech

Source
America is the innovator of the world, and "as long as government gets out of the way and Uncle Sam doesn't come in and mess things up, America can win. And America winning is the key to liberty on this planet," he said.
Nice and conservative.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Arenera wrote: January 19th, 2018, 12:24 pm Mitt Romney skirts question about Senate run in tech summit speech

Source
America is the innovator of the world, and "as long as government gets out of the way and Uncle Sam doesn't come in and mess things up, America can win. And America winning is the key to liberty on this planet," he said.
Nice and conservative.
Like this guy?

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-president ... ssibility/

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

if Romney, who served a single term as governor, ran for the Senate, it would mark a first in modern U.S. history.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/f ... if-he-runs

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

A comment from the SLTrib:

“One side of the coin may be that he is waiting to be called as one of the new apostles. I'm sure he is qualified and has had his second anointing. The other side of the coin is politics. He'll take either side”

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

Arenera wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 1:50 pm A comment from the SLTrib:

“One side of the coin may be that he is waiting to be called as one of the new apostles. I'm sure he is qualified and has had his second anointing. The other side of the coin is politics. He'll take either side”
That's a good bet. I usually try to clear my schedule when a prominent position is opening up. Just to head off any conflicts. It's just good practice.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Arenera wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 1:50 pm A comment from the SLTrib:

One of the current apostles was in my ward before he was called. He thinks differently then you do.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Mitt Romney would romp to Senate victory over Jenny Wilson if election were held today

Majorities among GOP and independents favor Republican Mitt Romney, as does nearly 1 of 5 Democrats.

Source
Washington • If Mitt Romney wants a U.S. Senate seat, a new poll shows he’d be a shoo-in, grabbing 64 percent of the vote in Utah compared with 19 percent for Democrat Jenny Wilson.

A poll by The Salt Lake Tribune and the University of Utah’s Hinckley Institute of Politics found that should Romney run, the Republican and former Massachusetts governor who now lives in Utah would handily win the Senate seat being vacated by Sen. Orrin Hatch. Friends say he’s seriously considering a bid.

Some 85 percent of Republicans back Romney for the seat, as do 55 percent of voters who say they’re unaffiliated. Even 18 percent of Democrats say they’d support Romney.
“He will be a tough campaigner, but a lot can happen at the convention, and he also has to get signatures,” Jones said. “He rides very, very high.”

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Is the Ainge family still pining for a Mitt Romney presidency?

https://www.boston.com/news/politics/20 ... anny-ainge

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Fantastic plan! Romney does what Evan McMullin could not accomplish, runs for senate, uses it as a platform to run for president, splits the party and insures a Democrat wins. Seems like a Romney family tradition.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Sen. Mike Lee confirms meeting with Mitt Romney about Senate candidacy

Source
According to Hatch's sources, Romney will formally announce his candidacy the second week of February.
(KUTV) - Senator Mike Lee, R-Utah, confirmed with KUTV 2News Anchor Heidi Hatch that he has met with former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney and believes they'll be working together a year from now in Washington D.C.

"I anticipate Mitt Romney is probably going to run for the United States Senate for Senator Orrin Hatch's seat and from everything I have seen, if he does, he is very likely to be elected, and if that happens, I look forward to working with him," Lee said.
This should make conservatives happy.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

I wonder who is paying for those electronic billboard signs along I-15 thanking Orin Hatch for his service. I sure hope tax payer money is not being used for them. I don't want any of my money used for that purpose

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I disagree. Utahn's know candidate Romney. A carefully crafted image created with a pinch of the individual, a pound of rhetoric, and a ton of polls and marketing. Don't get me wrong. I don't think Mitt Romney is evil. I'm not judging his immortal soul. And maybe he is the best one can hope for in today's political climate and state of the world, but he is just a guy running for an office. (And I disagree wholeheartedly with the speculation from the Salt Lake Tribune you posted, I won't say never, God does work in mysterious ways, but I doubt he is about to be called as an apostle. I don't see in him the consistency one would hope for in an apostle, but I will let the Lord judge that.)

I have been involved in politics in Utah for the last, nearly 20 years. I've been a delegate. I have helped with campaigns. I've registered voters, talked with people, knocked on doors and pounded the pavement.

Most people in Utah vote for name recognition. Which is actually true for most people anywhere.

Do you know why you drive down the road and see sign after sign for the same person? When I use to put up signs, they told us that study show it is all about the number of times you see the persons name. At the convention, there are rules about when you can put up signs. They would have us show up early in the morning and wait, like a race, for the signal, then everybody runs to put up as many signs as they can both inside and outside. Gotta get the best spots.

A few years ago I unaffiliated with any party. I decided the only name I want to be known by is "a disciple of Christ."

It doesn't matter if 99.999999% of Utahns vote for Romney. The percentage of popularity can never be a test of right and wrong. Principles are the correct test of right and wrong.

Honestly, I can only blame people so much about their ignorance when it comes to candidates. Even as a delegate it was nearly impossible to get correct information. All the printed material for major candidates is really just generated by polls and marketers.

I remember one meeting for delegates, standing next to a candidate at the end of the evening as people came up and individually asked him questions. He seemed very friendly. He always asked first about the person:who they were, what they did, how did they feel. Then he would tell them what they wanted to hear. I literally heard him praise homeschoolers to one person and then demonize them to the next person in line (a public school teacher.) Luckily, he lost. But really, they are all the same in the major parties.

I did vote in the last general election, but it was for a man I really thought and hoped would do right, even though he had no real chance of winning. My conscience is clear on that count.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Arenera wrote: January 24th, 2018, 7:44 am Mitt Romney would romp to Senate victory over Jenny Wilson if election were held today

Majorities among GOP and independents favor Republican Mitt Romney, as does nearly 1 of 5 Democrats.

Source
Washington • If Mitt Romney wants a U.S. Senate seat, a new poll shows he’d be a shoo-in, grabbing 64 percent of the vote in Utah compared with 19 percent for Democrat Jenny Wilson.

A poll by The Salt Lake Tribune and the University of Utah’s Hinckley Institute of Politics found that should Romney run, the Republican and former Massachusetts governor who now lives in Utah would handily win the Senate seat being vacated by Sen. Orrin Hatch. Friends say he’s seriously considering a bid.

Some 85 percent of Republicans back Romney for the seat, as do 55 percent of voters who say they’re unaffiliated. Even 18 percent of Democrats say they’d support Romney.
“He will be a tough campaigner, but a lot can happen at the convention, and he also has to get signatures,” Jones said. “He rides very, very high.”
I totally agree that he will probably run and win, but that is not the same as being the right guy for the job. Doesn't mean I should hand him my vote too.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Arenera wrote: January 25th, 2018, 7:46 am Sen. Mike Lee confirms meeting with Mitt Romney about Senate candidacy

Source
According to Hatch's sources, Romney will formally announce his candidacy the second week of February.
(KUTV) - Senator Mike Lee, R-Utah, confirmed with KUTV 2News Anchor Heidi Hatch that he has met with former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney and believes they'll be working together a year from now in Washington D.C.

"I anticipate Mitt Romney is probably going to run for the United States Senate for Senator Orrin Hatch's seat and from everything I have seen, if he does, he is very likely to be elected, and if that happens, I look forward to working with him," Lee said.
This should make conservatives happy.
That is not exactly a rousing endorsement.

He basically said, "If all those things happen, and they probably will, I'll be a good sport."