Approaching Zion - Selected Quotes

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

Re: Approaching Zion - Selected Quotes

Post by drtanner »

Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., The Way to Perfection, p.273-276
We covenant to live the law of consecration. This law is that we consecrate our time, talents, strength, property, and money for the upbuilding of the kingdom of God on this earth and the establishment of Zion.

Until one abides by the laws of obedience, sacrifice, the gospel, and chastity, he cannot abide the law of consecration, which is the law pertaining to the celestial kingdom. "For if you will that I give you place in the celestial world, you must prepare yourselves by doing the things which I have commanded you and required of you" (D&C 78:7).

Zion cannot be built up unless it is by the principles of the law of the celestial kingdom" (D&C 105:5). Much has been written about this law and its attempted implementation in the early history of the Church; and much deception has taken root, even among some of our members, because of misinformed opinion or misguided interpretations. Some view it as merely an economic alternative to capitalism or the free enterprise system, others as an outgrowth of early communal experiments in America. Such a view is not only shortsighted but tends to diminish in importance a binding requirement for entrance into the celestial kingdom. The law of consecration is a celestial law, not an economic experiment.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

drtanner wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 9:31 am Joseph Fielding Smith Jr., The Way to Perfection, p.273-276
We covenant to live the law of consecration. This law is that we consecrate our time, talents, strength, property, and money for the upbuilding of the kingdom of God on this earth and the establishment of Zion.

Until one abides by the laws of obedience, sacrifice, the gospel, and chastity, he cannot abide the law of consecration, which is the law pertaining to the celestial kingdom. "For if you will that I give you place in the celestial world, you must prepare yourselves by doing the things which I have commanded you and required of you" (D&C 78:7).

Zion cannot be built up unless it is by the principles of the law of the celestial kingdom" (D&C 105:5). Much has been written about this law and its attempted implementation in the early history of the Church; and much deception has taken root, even among some of our members, because of misinformed opinion or misguided interpretations. Some view it as merely an economic alternative to capitalism or the free enterprise system, others as an outgrowth of early communal experiments in America. Such a view is not only shortsighted but tends to diminish in importance a binding requirement for entrance into the celestial kingdom. The law of consecration is a celestial law, not an economic experiment.
How ironic! I rediscovered The Way to Perfection in my book collection just yesterday! Good stuff there.

Does anyone know the last time there was a talk in Conference on the law of consecration?

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

iWriteStuff wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 7:15 am What about the covenant we make to live the law of consecration?
"Is the law unrealistic, impractical? It is much too late for me to worry about that now, for I have already accepted it and repeated my acceptance at least once every month. (At a recent conference [October 1978], Elder Mark E. Petersen spoke of the importance of keeping all the covenants we have made—and none is more important, more specific, more sacred than this one.) What about Brother So-and-So or President So-and So? He is free to do as he pleases; I did not covenant with him! I knew quite well what I was promising to do and when and where I was to do it, and why—now it is up to me! This is not like plural marriage, which was suspended by a formal decree because the whole of American society and government had thrown their weight against it with dedicated and unrelenting fury that disrupted the whole course of life in the Church and even the nation. When the United Order was dissolved in 1834, it was through no pressure from outside but because of greed and hypocrisy ("covetousness, and with feigned words," D&C 104:4, 52) within the Church. Brigham Young revived it again—the Brigham Young Academy at Provo was founded for the explicit purpose, in his words, of countering "the theories of Huxley, of Darwin, or of Miall and the false political economy which contends against cooperation and the United Order."

"But after him the old covetousness and feigned words triumphed again as rich men quietly bought up controlling shares of the cooperatives without changing the name... "I want you to understand," said Heber C. Kimball, "that you make covenants with God, and not with us. We were present and committed those covenants to you, and you made them with God, and we were witnesses." Paul recognizes this in his lucid statements about the law of consecration in his letters to Timothy, which should be studied carefully. And he is talking about the foundation of the Church, which rests on the personal contract between God and the individual: "Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, the Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity" (2 Timothy 2:19). The Lord alone knows who are the true church; he alone stands at the gate, "and he employeth no servant there" (2 Nephi 9:41), as he takes each one by the hand and speaks each name. Even the Prophet does not know who are in the covenant and who are not, "as you cannot always judge the righteous, or as you cannot always tell the wicked from the righteous, therefore I say unto you, hold your peace until I shall see fit to make all things known (D&C 10:37).

"What is there to stop me from observing and keeping the law of consecration at this very day as I have already covenanted and promised to do without reservation? Is the foundation too broad for us to build on?"
I can see we are talking past each other. :)

I totally agree, and have shared on other posts, that I believe we are under covenant to live the Law of Consecration right now. I believe there are many saints doing so, but it is not visible to most.

I will re-share my perspective on this thread.

I do not see giving money to every panhandler is living the Law of Consecration. Even the Church has urged members at temple square not to give to panhandlers, but to donate to reputable charities to help them. Many obvious reasons have been mentioned already like the money being used for drugs and alcohol instead of food, clothing and shelter.

I do believe we are to use the Holy Ghost in deciding how to distribute our offerings. In fact, I think that is key. In the example I gave of the family member who threw away the non-perishable food. I actually felt like I shouldn't give it to her, but I thought that was ridiculous and "obviously not the Spirit." Lesson learned. Yes, the Spirit can tell you "not to share" if that person will not be benefited by your offering. Keep in mind, this was at a time where we lived in a little 2 bedroom apt with 5 kids and lived on homemade food storage and walked everywhere and never had extra at the end of the pay check. (We had just finished college and were looking for a new job to replace our college job and pay. We have never been homeless or starving, but we could have used that money and food OR given it to someone who would have actually benefited from it. )

Now as to how I do see the Law of Consecration working right now. I believe we listen to the Spirit. We share our time, our money, our talents. We build the Kingdom of God and establish Zion. I have been the recipient of such blessings and tried to offer the same.

I once had a broken foot, I was hungry, the sink was full of dishes, my first husband was no where to be seen (he was off spreading his wild gay oats up SLC at the time.) I went to the sink determined to wash a pot and make some Ramen (That sentence can only carry its full impact if you really know how I feel about Ramen. lol) I balanced myself and started to wash the pot only to have a spider crawl up out of it. I went to the couch and cried instead. Then, a knock at the door. My visiting teachers who I did not know asked if they could wash my dishes. Talk about listening to the Spirit!

Another time, when I was young and single, I needed a blessing and my home teachers, who I had never met came over to administer that blessing. It was amazing to hear the very phrases, word for word, that the Lord had put into my heart in those preceding weeks, come out of the mouth of that brother. I had spent the time discussing the problem with my friend, who suggested I call the home teachers, and sharing with her those phrases that had come to mind. She was there and we were so surprised we actually both opened our eyes and looked up at each other stunned and then hurried and closed our eyes and bowed our heads again.

I'm not saying money can't be involved. One time I literally prayed for $2000. We felt the Spirit tell us my husband needed to go to school spring and summer term. We did everything we could to get the money together, but the day before it was due, we did not have the full amount needed. So I prayed and told the Lord exactly that: "We have done all we could. We are short. Can you get us the money to do what you have asked us to do?" I woke up to find the money in our bank account. I called the bank and they said it came from the University. I called the University who said my husband had earned a scholarship for both the current and previous semesters. They weren't sure why it hadn't been sent until then, but it was in fact, not an error. We paid the tuition. It would take me all morning to write the blessings that followed and hinged on that one decision.

I don't feel like sharing more of what we personally have done is appropriate, other than to say we try to do the same as directed by the Spirit.

In our current ward they ask us to write down our service so they keep track of it. I get it, but I only wrote something one time because it felt so wrong to "publish" it like that. The Lord knows our needs. He knows our neighbors needs. He knows how to tell us when and how to help. We just need to know how to listen.

I will give one example I saw on the board worth mentioning. A thread came back up asking for charities or individuals to donate to at the end of year with surplus funds. That is an excellent example of taking the Law as it was given and adapting it to our current situation and time.

To me, these are all examples of the Law of Consecration: time, money, talent. The goal is to always have a prayer in our heart and to act immediately upon the promptings we receive.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Michelle wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 11:29 am I can see we are talking past each other. :)
Talking past each other? Not at all! I love your posts! I was just sharing more quotes from Approaching Zion, one that I stumbled across last night as I was reviewing my notes from previous readings.

Side note: I used to only own the book in PDF format. I don't really have the $50 to go blow at Deseret Books, so I relied heavily on the free versions the Maxwell Institute puts out on the BYU website. As a result, I can't underline passages so I write them out in my journal. I both write out the passage I like, then add any thoughts or impressions I had as I was reading it. This year for Christmas my father in law allowed me to pick any book out of his collection. Buried beneath a pile of Louis Lamour books, I found a slightly smudged up copy of Approaching Zion. He was generous in parting with it, and it made my whole Christmas that much better.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Michelle wrote: December 30th, 2017, 9:45 pm I have to say first, I agree with a lot of what iWriteStuff is saying, but I think the Spirit still needs to be used with regard to "helping' others.

My father worked in San Francisco for years and he said nearly everyday he would invite a beggar to lunch, but no one ever took him up on the offer.

I have seen my share of panhandlers and asked if I should do anything without receiving confirmation that it was right. In fact, I can only remember one time when the Spirit clearly told me to buy a woman lunch, which I did and then I took it to her and she was so grateful. (That doesn't mean I don't help in other ways, but usually the Spirit says no to giving money to strangers like that.)

On the opposite hand, we once gave a lot of groceries (non perishables) to a family member, single mom with two kids, who was always asking for money for groceries. When she moved out of our basement a year or so later, she had my kids throw away all the food we had given her (still in the cupboards) and told them not to tell us. She was too lazy to even prepare the just-open-the-can and add-water foods we had bought for her. She preferred to eat out every meal, usually by showing up at a certain family members house, that liked to go out to eat, about dinner time.

Gotta have the Spirit in all things.
You will and probably have been blessed for your gift. She will be accountable for it... You were a good steward and she it seems was not...

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

iWriteStuff wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 12:46 pm Side note: I used to only own the book in PDF format. I don't really have the $50 to go blow at Deseret Books, so I relied heavily on the free versions the Maxwell Institute puts out on the BYU website. As a result, I can't underline passages so I write them out in my journal. I both write out the passage I like, then add any thoughts or impressions I had as I was reading it. This year for Christmas my father in law allowed me to pick any book out of his collection. Buried beneath a pile of Louis Lamour books, I found a slightly smudged up copy of Approaching Zion. He was generous in parting with it, and it made my whole Christmas that much better.
That's cool! Much of my collection was obtained at various D.I. stores here in Utah. I have found some gems for under $2 or $3.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

marc wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 3:05 pm
iWriteStuff wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 12:46 pm Side note: I used to only own the book in PDF format. I don't really have the $50 to go blow at Deseret Books, so I relied heavily on the free versions the Maxwell Institute puts out on the BYU website. As a result, I can't underline passages so I write them out in my journal. I both write out the passage I like, then add any thoughts or impressions I had as I was reading it. This year for Christmas my father in law allowed me to pick any book out of his collection. Buried beneath a pile of Louis Lamour books, I found a slightly smudged up copy of Approaching Zion. He was generous in parting with it, and it made my whole Christmas that much better.
That's cool! Much of my collection was obtained at various D.I. stores here in Utah. I have found some gems for under $2 or $3.
I can't tell you how many times I miraculously found a book or whole series at DI that I wanted but would have cost up to $60 on Amazon. I love DI for books!

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Michelle wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 5:04 pm
I can't tell you how many times I miraculously found a book or whole series at DI that I wanted but would have cost up to $60 on Amazon. I love DI for books!
I used to buy books there as frequently as I could.... then I moved out of state and find that my nonmember neighbors don't love Nibley as much as I do :lol:

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

iWriteStuff wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 6:44 pm
Michelle wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 5:04 pm
I used to buy books there as frequently as I could.... then I moved out of state and find that my nonmember neighbors don't love Nibley as much as I do :lol:
That's funny, I remember moving to Utah as an adult and being dumbstruck to hear church stuff on the radio as I drove into the valley. I wasn't sure at the time, but I thought it possible I had found Zion.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

The Ethic of Work vs The Ethic of Plunder:
"Now we all know that Adam could not stay in the Garden. He was expelled and told to get his living by the sweat of his brow. In return for hard physical labor, the earth would yield him of her abundance (Moses 4:23-25). It was a fair exchange—he was to put hard work into the soil, and in return the soil would sustain him. He was to live by work, though, not by plunder...

"After my mission I visited a glorious redwood grove near Santa Cruz, California. Only there was no grove there; the two-thousand-year-old trees were all gone: not one of them was left standing. My own grandfather had converted them all into cash. It wasn't hard to do in those days. You looked up the right people, you got your name on some pieces of paper, and presto! you were rich for a short while and the earth was impoverished forever. I'm pleased to state that my grandfather recognized that there was something wrong with this, that he was not fulfilling the commandment given to Adam, that it was not the kind of work Adam was assigned to do. There was no proportion whatever between the amount of work and the return, between what man took from the earth and what he gave to it. Grandfather took something priceless and irreplaceable and gave in return a few miles of railroad ties. He not only broke the cycle of life so beautifully exemplified in those all but immortal groves, he destroyed it for quick wealth, which served only to corrupt his children and lead them out of the Church...

"There's no permanency in economy that takes a hundred from nature and gives back one. There's no survival value in such an operation, which is certainly the business of systematic and organized looting—the very opposite of making a fair exchange with the earth. Above all, it ignores the ancient doctrine of man's obligation to "quicken" the earth that bears for him. The old Jewish teaching is that Adam had a right only to that portion of the earth that he "quickened," on which he labored with the sweat of his brow. Let us not confuse the ethic of work with the ethic of plunder."
Which do we value most - the ethic of an honest day's work or the ethic of quick money? Where are our hearts and how are we cultivating them?

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Parascripture - False Cover for Covetousness?
"I live in the real world, don't I? Yes, and I have been commanded to "come out of her,. . . that ye be not partakers of her sins" (Revelation 18:4). It is not given "unto you that ye shall live after the manner of the world" (D&C 95:13). Well, then, you must be "in the world but not of the world." That happens to be a convenient para-scripture (we have quite a few of them today), invented by a third-century Sophist (Diognetos), to the great satisfaction of the church members, who were rapidly becoming very worldly. The passage as it appears in the scriptures says quite the opposite: "For [whatsoever] that is in the world. . . is not of the Father, but is of the world" (1 John 2:16). The Lord has repeatedly commanded and forced his people to flee out of the world into the wilderness, quite literally; there is only one way to avoid becoming involved in the neighborhood brawls, and that is to move out of the neighborhood."
How on earth do we "move out of the neighborhood"? I really wish there was an easy/convenient answer to that.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

iWriteStuff wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 1:25 pm The Ethic of Work vs The Ethic of Plunder:
"Now we all know that Adam could not stay in the Garden. He was expelled and told to get his living by the sweat of his brow. In return for hard physical labor, the earth would yield him of her abundance (Moses 4:23-25). It was a fair exchange—he was to put hard work into the soil, and in return the soil would sustain him. He was to live by work, though, not by plunder...

"After my mission I visited a glorious redwood grove near Santa Cruz, California. Only there was no grove there; the two-thousand-year-old trees were all gone: not one of them was left standing. My own grandfather had converted them all into cash. It wasn't hard to do in those days. You looked up the right people, you got your name on some pieces of paper, and presto! you were rich for a short while and the earth was impoverished forever. I'm pleased to state that my grandfather recognized that there was something wrong with this, that he was not fulfilling the commandment given to Adam, that it was not the kind of work Adam was assigned to do. There was no proportion whatever between the amount of work and the return, between what man took from the earth and what he gave to it. Grandfather took something priceless and irreplaceable and gave in return a few miles of railroad ties. He not only broke the cycle of life so beautifully exemplified in those all but immortal groves, he destroyed it for quick wealth, which served only to corrupt his children and lead them out of the Church...

"There's no permanency in economy that takes a hundred from nature and gives back one. There's no survival value in such an operation, which is certainly the business of systematic and organized looting—the very opposite of making a fair exchange with the earth. Above all, it ignores the ancient doctrine of man's obligation to "quicken" the earth that bears for him. The old Jewish teaching is that Adam had a right only to that portion of the earth that he "quickened," on which he labored with the sweat of his brow. Let us not confuse the ethic of work with the ethic of plunder."
Which do we value most - the ethic of an honest day's work or the ethic of quick money? Where are our hearts and how are we cultivating them?
Where did you get this quote?

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

iWriteStuff wrote: January 5th, 2018, 2:14 pm Parascripture - False Cover for Covetousness?
"I live in the real world, don't I? Yes, and I have been commanded to "come out of her,. . . that ye be not partakers of her sins" (Revelation 18:4). It is not given "unto you that ye shall live after the manner of the world" (D&C 95:13). Well, then, you must be "in the world but not of the world." That happens to be a convenient para-scripture (we have quite a few of them today), invented by a third-century Sophist (Diognetos), to the great satisfaction of the church members, who were rapidly becoming very worldly. The passage as it appears in the scriptures says quite the opposite: "For [whatsoever] that is in the world. . . is not of the Father, but is of the world" (1 John 2:16). The Lord has repeatedly commanded and forced his people to flee out of the world into the wilderness, quite literally; there is only one way to avoid becoming involved in the neighborhood brawls, and that is to move out of the neighborhood."
How on earth do we "move out of the neighborhood"? I really wish there was an easy/convenient answer to that.
I love this quote! Is this the same book?

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Michelle wrote: January 5th, 2018, 3:33 pm
iWriteStuff wrote: January 5th, 2018, 2:14 pm Parascripture - False Cover for Covetousness?
I love this quote! Is this the same book?
Both quotes are Approaching Zion! The grandfather he refers to in the previous one was actually Charles W. Nibley.... there's some very interesting church history if you track his story. ;)

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I feel like we are as Daniel and his friends, captives in Babylon. There are some things we can choose, so we should. There are others that are not yet in our power, but we can prepare for when they are available to us.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Michelle wrote: January 5th, 2018, 3:29 pm Where did you get this quote?
A smidge more about Nibley's grandfather, Charles W. Nibley, from the book "Hugh Nibley: A Consecrated Life":
charles w nibley.jpg
charles w nibley.jpg (130.81 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
Ain't it funny how things work? But if Hugh had any antipathy towards business and making money, I think it fair to attribute that at least in part to the influence of his grandfather, a man he loved. Although Charles Nibley was hugely successful as a businessman, he realized that it didn't really bring happiness.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

How is it lived? Where do we find it explained?
"But how about the law of consecration, which is the foundation of Zion? It is, as I said, contained in the Book of Doctrine and Covenants, explained there not once but many times, so that there is no excuse for not understanding it. The three basic principles are (as so plainly set forth by Wilford Woodruff): (1) everyone gets what he really needs, his wants being met from a common fund that belongs entirely to the Lord and is administered through the bishop of the church; (2) nobody keeps more than he really needs, his surplus all going to that fund; (3) dickering and controversy over the amounts involved is forestalled by the clear statement of the intent and purpose of the law, which is that all may be equal in temporal as in spiritual things. One man's needs may be greater than another's—for example, because his family is larger; but once those needs are met for each, then all are equal, satisfied, at peace, each free to develop his own talents and do the Lord's work, for that is the purpose of the law. There is plenty to do to satisfy the work ethic without a profit motive, "but the laborer in Zion shall labor for Zion; for if they labor for money they shall perish" (2 Nephi 26:31). Failure to observe this law places one man above another, abominable in the sight of the Lord, and for that reason, we are told, "the world lieth in sin" (D&C 49:20), in Satan's power indeed."

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

The answer to your question. In the other 2/3rds of the BoM. Also, when the records of the Ten Tribes come, much will be restored.

The next Dispensation shall also restores that priesthood which has the power to translate. Out of the gospel being restored back unto Yesrael, shall come the needed authority and sufficient repentance among men to bring forth Zion again. And they shall eventually call down Zion from above!

Time is very short, you will see this in less the a dozen years. I long for the time when El's Shekinah of Glory shall shade them by day: Exodus 13:21, Exodus 24:16-18, Nehemiah 9:12, and Psalm 78:14.

See also, Psalm 18:7-15, Exodus 13:21-22, Exodus 40:34-38, Exodus 25:22 ,
Numbers 9:15-23, Numbers 10:11-36, Colossians 2:9, Luke 1:35, Luke 2:9, Haggai 2:9, Zechariah 2:5, 2 Peter 1:17, Acts 1:9, 2 Corinthians 3:18, 2 Corinthians 4:6, Matthew 24:44, Revelation 21:3, Leviticus 16:2, 2 Samuel 6:2, Psalm 80:1, Isaiah 37:16, Ezekiel 9:3, Ezekiel 10:18, and Hebrews 9:5.

Repenting of every sin and weakness, surrendering you wealth and excess possessions, and receiving revelations personally rather then through a Church leader, is a bigger step then most are and would be willing to do!

Shalom

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

and receiving revelations personally rather then through a Church leader
Who says you can't do both?

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

Sarah wrote: January 6th, 2018, 10:01 pm
and receiving revelations personally rather then through a Church leader
Who says you can't do both?
There would be no need, for if they revealed they had received a revelation, you would know of its correctness by receiving your own witness, having the same level of righteousness. No man would rely upon the arm of flesh.

Son of Liberty
captain of 100

Post by Son of Liberty »

If you send me a copy I'll read it I love books 8515 Jennifer Dr Apt #3 Juneau,Alaska 99801 ;)

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Son of Liberty wrote: January 7th, 2018, 6:51 am If you send me a copy I'll read it I love books 8515 Jennifer Dr Apt #3 Juneau,Alaska 99801 ;)
I can send a PDF copy but otherwise I don't have any print copies to give away. Just send me your email address and I will forward it on! :)

Son of Liberty
captain of 100

Post by Son of Liberty »

iWriteStuff wrote: January 7th, 2018, 7:10 am
Son of Liberty wrote: January 7th, 2018, 6:51 am If you send me a copy I'll read it I love books 8515 Jennifer Dr Apt #3 Juneau,Alaska 99801 ;)
I can send a PDF copy but otherwise I don't have any print copies to give away. Just send me your email address and I will forward it on! :)

Perfect [email protected]

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I remember reading about Nibley's father and that bar. Oh, the irony. It's all good, though. The WoW was given not by commandment or constraint, etc. Even Joseph Smith had set up a bar in his Nauvoo Mansion House to welcome guests. But it was Emma who objected to it because of the kind of people it would attract. Joseph ended up yielding to Emma, if I recall correctly.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Found it.
Unconvinced, Emma told Joseph he could hire someone to run the Mansion for him. "As for me," she continued, "I will take my children and go across to the old house and stay there, for I will not have them raised up under such conditions as this arrangement imposes upon us, nor have them mingle with the kind of men who frequent such a place. You are at liberty to make your choice; either that bar goes out of the house, or we will!"...

Joseph answered, "Very well, Emma; I will have it removed at once." Soon a frame structure, designed to house the bar and barbershop, began to rise across the street.--Mormon Enigma: Emma Hale Smith, 2nd edition, (Urbana and Chicago: University of Illinois Press, 1994), 179.
I read that book a couple years ago. One of the best biographies I own.