Deleted

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Ezra
captain of 1,000

Re: I think Patrick Kearon will be the new Apostle in April

Post by Ezra »

Are you housing a refugee? What have you done?

I have read and heard lots of storys of people who have. Most have been very bad experiences. I would love to hear some success storys.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Interesting. I really like him. (there is some kinship because of my Irish roots ;) ) Time will tell.

I actually had a strong impression that Elder Christofferson would be the one called when he was. Haven't had any impressions for any since then.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Funny I thought the same thing the last time he spoke in conference. Don't know if that will come to pass...

Someone gave a great talk a couple of years ago about how sometimes several men in ward will bet the impression they are being called as the next bishop, or ward members feeling impressed that a certain guy would be bishop. The speaker said something to the effect of "the spirit may be telling people these men COULD be, but ultimately the Lord picks"

I have had an impression on the next first presidency, actually it was someone who I thought would be the Prophet. But he is way down the line, some serious traditions would have to break or some terrible deaths occur for him to be next. Given some of the recent instructions and directions from the church....I wouldn't be surprised to see tradition breaking.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

I would be careful about suggesting popularity as a reason though. That is a different type of standard.

But we will rejoice in the success of Christ no matter who is called, all the same.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

It would interesting if he was called.
He's not American, he's not from pioneer stock, and he's a convert to the church.

I was interviewed by him when they were looking for a new stake president here. Nice bloke.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

I'm still waiting for a shephard, a carpenter, or a fisherman to be called as an apostle

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Well, lawyers are a step below them all, and we have a few of them.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

tribrac wrote: December 18th, 2017, 11:01 am Funny I thought the same thing the last time he spoke in conference. Don't know if that will come to pass...

Someone gave a great talk a couple of years ago about how sometimes several men in ward will bet the impression they are being called as the next bishop, or ward members feeling impressed that a certain guy would be bishop. The speaker said something to the effect of "the spirit may be telling people these men COULD be, but ultimately the Lord picks."
Our Bishop was just called as Stake President of a newly formed Stake. Consequently he is serving as both President & Bishop for a few weeks until he can choose a replacement Bishop and submit his name to the First Presidency.

We had titihing settlement last week. During tithing settlement I felt an unspoken piercing question from my President/Bishop to my soul: "are you the next Bishop?" To which my soul replied: "no, not at this time". I was observing the interaction of some kind of communication way higher than speech, and I was interested to see "my" reply. It was like I (at least my conscience self) had no say in the matter.

I felt neither sad, nor happy about not being next Bishop. I felt like the correct answer was given.

Since then I understand the name has been sent to Salt Lake... so in a few weeks we ought to know who the Lord has called to serve as our Bishop.
I will support him with my all.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

He was at our ward last week

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Gong or Causse. Maybe both.

It's pattern not tradition that the senior apostle becomes president. There is a difference.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I don't know why, but it feels wrong to speculate on such things. Especially when people say the spirit told them something about a calling for someone else that isn't in their stewardship to extend.

bradfordjames8
captain of 10

Post by bradfordjames8 »

Everybody knows somebody they think could be called an apostle.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

CelestialAngel wrote: December 17th, 2017, 8:09 pm He gained huge popularity with his refugee conference talk, along with his accent, he's young, and is in the Presidency of the 70 where Q12 is usually a next step.
So because he is popular he will be next apostle? I wish they would call up a humble man who is a greeter at walmart as the next apostle.. could humble the leadership and learn them a thing or two... All these worldly honors are not important

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

sandman45 wrote: December 21st, 2017, 2:43 pm
CelestialAngel wrote: December 17th, 2017, 8:09 pm He gained huge popularity with his refugee conference talk, along with his accent, he's young, and is in the Presidency of the 70 where Q12 is usually a next step.
So because he is popular he will be next apostle? I wish they would call up a humble man who is a greeter at walmart as the next apostle.. could humble the leadership and learn them a thing or two... All these worldly honors are not important
The Lord calls men and women who have unique talents and abilities to administer the affairs of the kingdom in a global church. Their stewardship responsibilities require them to possess these particular skills. What is wrong with that? Perhaps the local Walmart greeter would be overwhelmed and underqualified with the administration duties required of this type of calling. The Lord knows what is best in furthering the work of his kingdom and calls people who are best suited to accomplish their many responsibilities in an effective manner. That is a blessing- not something to complain about. Why not trust that the Lord is in control and will do what's best in furthering his work on this earth? Unless of course you think this is the work of man and not of God. Which in that case you will have to sort that out for yourself. I'm to busy worrying about my own faults and failures to begin second guessing why the Lord does what he does in staffing administrative callings and responsibilities. I'll leave it to Him to do as He seems best. I just thank my lucky stars He hasn't given me such a lofty stewardship responsibility. I WOULD be overwhelmed. Just not something I would aspire to. Thanks but no thanks.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Mark wrote: December 22nd, 2017, 3:50 am
The Lord calls men and women who have unique talents and abilities to administer the affairs of the kingdom in a global church. Their stewardship responsibilities require them to possess these particular skills. What is wrong with that? Perhaps the local Walmart greeter would be overwhelmed and underqualified with the administration duties required of this type of calling. The Lord knows what is best in furthering the work of his kingdom and calls people who are best suited to accomplish their many responsibilities in an effective manner. That is a blessing- not something to complain about. Why not trust that the Lord is in control and will do what's best in furthering his work on this earth? Unless of course you think this is the work of man and not of God. Which in that case you will have to sort that out for yourself. I'm to busy worrying about my own faults and failures to begin second guessing why the Lord does what he does in staffing administrative callings and responsibilities. I'll leave it to Him to do as He seems best. I just thank my lucky stars He hasn't given me such a lofty stewardship responsibility. I WOULD be overwhelmed. Just not something I would aspire to. Thanks but no thanks.
I agree.
We must remember that Paul was a lawyer, and that training came in handy when he was called upon to make a defence of the faith before King Agrippa and others. God knows what he's doing.
I also know from personal experience that God qualifies whom he calls.

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Best Stake President I ever had was a house painter out in Kansas.
Said the work was methodical and it freed his mind to ponder and evaluate while working.
Said he found revelation came to him all the time, and not at regularly schedule meetings, or only when he was practicing spiritual things.

One of the benefits to farming... as many early church leaders were... plenty of time to ponder...

Tight busy schedules of today and overly demanding professions are manmade and not conducive to heavenly whispering...

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

CelestialAngel wrote: December 18th, 2017, 5:27 pm I love Patrick Kearon and want him to be called in April but I know it's not my decision.
Why do you love him? Just curious. I mean I respect leaders of the Church but I have no emotional ties to them as they are neither blood relatives or friends.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

I was about to make a reply to the post but yours is fantastic.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

Remember Joseph Smith was unlearned as to the world. There are many other examples. Would love someone who is NOT brainwashed by our public education.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

I think the most important thing to consider is that *I* will not be the next apostle. Hopefully, I'll avoid bishop too, but I went in right after a new stake president was called and I've always felt he had it in for me.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I think you may be right.

djinwa
captain of 100

Post by djinwa »

What is the point of members getting inspiration for such things? Are we to submit our impressions to the leaders for their consideration?

Just wondering why the Lord would waste His time that way when we aren't the ones making the decision.

I've often thought He shouldn't bother giving me such impressions with all the suffering children that need His help.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

This interesting question might be an exercise in who is listening to the inspiration of, or receiving promptings from, the Holy Spirit and who is just voicing their personal opinion. All of the 70's are great men. Whoever the Lord chooses, I will be happy with.

I have a personal opinion (I am not claiming revelation, mind you) that at least one man will be chosen from the Presidency of the 70. I am a fan of Elder Soares who comes from Brazil, partly because I believe I heard him speak at our Stake Conference a while back, and the Spirit was really strong during his talk. He also probably speaks both Portuguese and Spanish, as well as English, and served in Africa and North America, in addition to Brazil. He earned a MBA like President Monson did, so he probably has a lot of business administration experience, if that is what the Lord is looking for this time around.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Ezra wrote: December 17th, 2017, 9:05 pm Are you housing a refugee? What have you done?

I have read and heard lots of storys of people who have. Most have been very bad experiences. I would love to hear some success storys.
Have any General Authorities taken migrants or refugees into their own homes?

jftl165
captain of 10

Post by jftl165 »

The Lord has an orderly, established pattern for deciding the next Prophet. Life and death seem to be the controls. The President of the Quorum of the 12 becomes the new Prophet. This is my understanding.