Deleted

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Re: What's your physical weapon of self defense?

Post by Matchmaker »

My 2 dogs are my first line of defense, not that they would kill anyone, they are too small for that, but they would alert me to potential trouble and distract or discourage any intruders, hopefully giving me time to escape.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Prayer.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Prayer and meditation. I seek to improve my conscious contact with Heavenly Father on a daily basis.
But I'm ready to my part, the footwork, when necessary, God willing to give me the strength to do so.
dc

And a sharp eye, an eye of discernment (discrimation, or taste) to help me determine danger before I become embroiled in it.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

CelestialAngel wrote: December 16th, 2017, 12:17 pm I know many of you have guns, knives, swords, etc. Me, I'm 6 foot 5 280 pounds and I have a very nice Louisville Slugger baseball bat in my car and in my bedroom that I could do real damage with if anyone messes with me, it's just I have a moral stance against guns. Yes I know bat vs gun would not win but I'd take my chances who I'm dealing with doesn't have a loaded gun to shoot me and I'd get a good whack at a head. I played college baseball after all and was a slugger. ;)
What exactly is a moral stance against guns?

That’s like saying you have a moral stance against a spoon.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

The short heavy sturdy flashlight (SHSF) in one hand to shine in the face of any troublemaker and a pocket full of change to throw in their face followed by a smack to the head with said SHSF as needed.

Light blinds them, change to the face draws a crowd of witnesses, at which point bad guy runs away. 8-)

Also snap their picture for immediate up-load to the internet, for purposes of prosecution.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I'm working on air bending. Until I've got that working for me, I've got a nice splitting axe in my bedroom closet.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Meili wrote: December 16th, 2017, 8:11 pm I'm working on air bending. Until I've got that working for me, I've got a nice splitting axe in my bedroom closet.
Meili the avatar. Nice.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

I just ordered a couple of these :lol:
4 colors and has strobe function too. :evil:

Luckily I live in one of the few places where only the cops have guns. 8-)

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 16th, 2017, 8:31 pm I just ordered a couple of these :lol:
4 colors and has strobe function too. :evil:

Luckily I live in one of the few places where only the cops have guns. 8-)
A jail cell???

I can’t think of any other place where that might be the case.

Bad people always have guns. Why else would the cops need them to counter that??

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Ezra wrote: December 16th, 2017, 8:48 pm
A jail cell???

I can’t think of any other place where that might be the case.

Bad people always have guns. Why else would the cops need them to counter that??

Things are in flux: territory-enacts-ban-on-handguns-just-in-case-legal-ruling-reversed

It’s funny to go to the gun case at the local store and only get to buy a B.B. Gun. :P

Maybe someday I can own property too. :? abolish-article-xii-or-not

No guns, but prolly more gun ranges per capita than anywhere, bar none. :evil:

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

CelestialAngel wrote: December 16th, 2017, 12:17 pm I know many of you have guns, knives, swords, etc. Me, I'm 6 foot 5 280 pounds and I have a very nice Louisville Slugger baseball bat in my car and in my bedroom that I could do real damage with if anyone messes with me, it's just I have a moral stance against guns. Yes I know bat vs gun would not win but I'd take my chances who I'm dealing with doesn't have a loaded gun to shoot me and I'd get a good whack at a head. I played college baseball after all and was a slugger. ;)
All of us immoral gun owners could learn a thing or two from CelestialAngel. Smash their skull with a baseball bat like Negan off the walking dead... Because of morals or something

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

gradles21 wrote: December 16th, 2017, 10:17 pm
All of us immoral gun owners could learn a thing or two from CelestialAngel. Smash their skull with a baseball bat like Negan off the walking dead... Because of morals or something
That made me laugh. Thank you for that.

Dave62
destroyer of hopes & dreams

Post by Dave62 »

I live in a remote rural location and am a 55 year old diabetic with bursitis and a bad knee, and I have a moral stance against violence. That's why I have a beautiful .455 Webley revolver whose nickname is "The Equaliser". I also use prayer to try to avoid using it. Trust me, I would only have to use it once.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Fake cameras outside the house with a sign - will prevent most home bound issues.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

CelestialAngel wrote: December 16th, 2017, 12:17 pm Me, I'm 6 foot 5 280 pounds and I have a very nice Louisville Slugger baseball bat in my car and in my bedroom that I could do real damage with if anyone messes with me
Ash, maple, or birch?
I played college baseball after all and was a slugger. ;)
Ah, so aluminum alloy, maybe?

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Spaced_Out wrote: December 17th, 2017, 3:29 am Fake cameras outside the house with a sign - will prevent most home bound issues.
You need to go online and watch a few hundred of the thousands and thousands of videos of crimes in action on the internet. Armed robberies at banks and convenience stores, home invasion, etc., ad infinitum.
dc

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

gradles21 wrote: December 16th, 2017, 10:17 pm All of us immoral gun owners could learn a thing or two from CelestialAngel. Smash their skull with a baseball bat like Negan off the walking dead... Because of morals or something
That was funny, and I hope that's all it was meant to be. CelestialAngel hasn't said anything to the extent that he doesn't believe the rest of us should be allowed to have guns, it's just his personal position. I have a moral problem with alcohol but I support the right of friends and family to get buzzed.

Not everybody has what it takes to pull the trigger. I'm willing to bet there were capable Nephites who didn't have what it takes to wield a sword. Those of us who can pull the trigger have an obligation to protect those around us.

I have a few special friends who mean a great deal to me. If anybody were to try harming them or one of their children, I won't show any mercy until the threat has been eliminated.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

brianj wrote: December 17th, 2017, 5:13 pm
gradles21 wrote: December 16th, 2017, 10:17 pm All of us immoral gun owners could learn a thing or two from CelestialAngel. Smash their skull with a baseball bat like Negan off the walking dead... Because of morals or something
That was funny, and I hope that's all it was meant to be.
It was only meant as a joke. I understand that guns are scary to some, and they aren't for everyone. I just thought it was funny that he has a moral opposition to one tool but not the other. But to each his own.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

My brain.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

mirkwood wrote: December 17th, 2017, 10:53 pmMy brain.
Boy, are you in trouble!! :D

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Rand wrote: December 18th, 2017, 5:29 pm
mirkwood wrote: December 17th, 2017, 10:53 pmMy brain.
Boy, are you in trouble!! :D
Maybe not. Maybe his brain, along with some rather choice weapons, will serve him better than one or another.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

CelestialAngel wrote: December 18th, 2017, 6:01 pm Guns and swords are scary to me and I would hope to never use a baseball bat but that seemed the least harmful, while probably in reality my Buddhist type ways would just allow the attacker to hurt me without resistance from me. Note I have no family to protect. Just me.
If guns and swords are scary to you then what you need to do is face, and conquer your fear, and learn to use a gun or a sword (both that is) to your advantage over those who may come at you with a gun or sword.
The admonition is that we are to protect our family, if we have one, and also, or in any case, our own life.
dc
Last edited by David13 on December 19th, 2017, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Well, there's my small dog...
Tinni Teeth.JPG
Tinni Teeth.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 589 times
And God help you if you get to her big brother:
On Guard.JPG
On Guard.JPG (291.69 KiB) Viewed 589 times
Worst still would be if you got past both of them.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

Beautiful dogs SKMO,
Unfortunately I don't think any of the animals on our land could offer us much protection from 2 legged critters. I generally carry something labeled 45 or larger as we have bear on our place. We have had problems with poachers on our families land in addition to the varments that growl. So after two poachers refused to leave the property and threatened my mother in law, I decided it was time to start carrying something bigger. I will often have something in the 22 caliber range handy to deal with whistle pigs. But 22 hornet, .223 Remington, etc. just don't have stopping power for when the trespasser operates a 4 wheel drive.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »