Somali "refugee" walks free after raping 2 women in SLC

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Rensai
captain of 1,000

Somali "refugee" walks free after raping 2 women in SLC

Post by Rensai »

http://www.wnd.com/2017/11/somali-refug ... alks-free/
It’s been six years since Somali refugee Mohammed Ali Mohammed, then age 14, sexually assaulted two women at knifepoint on consecutive nights in Salt Lake City.

Mohammed, now just one month from his 21st birthday, attacked one woman who was standing outside of her home on Aug. 14, 2011.

The teen came up behind the woman, who was outside her house with a dog, and held a 4-inch switchblade to her throat. He threatened to kill her if she made a sound, according to police reports, then raped her behind the home.

Mohammed Ali Mohammed pleaded guilty to raping and robbing two women.
Somali refugee Mohammed Ali Mohammed pleaded guilty in 2012 to rape, sexual assault and kidnapping but won’t serve a day in adult prison.
On the following night, the teenager from Somalia broke into another woman’s home and beat her before demanding she go to an ATM and withdraw $400 for him.

He would later tell investigators he wanted the money so he didn’t have to wear stained clothes on the first day of ninth grade.

Fast forward to Monday, Nov. 27, 2017. After serving six years in juvenile detention center, Mohammed sat in court and admitted to doing “very, very horrible things” as a teenager.

“I was a monster,” Mohammed said in 3rd District Court in Salt Lake City. “I didn’t know what I was thinking. I was a very stupid kid.”

But after six years in the Wasatch Youth Detention Center, Mohammed swears he is a different person than the boy who brutally attacked the two women in 2011, according to a report by the Salt Lake Tribune.

“There is nothing I could say or do that could restore what I did to them,” he said. “The only way I can show them I’ve changed is how I live my life.”

Because he is about to age out of the juvenile system, Judge Vernice Trease had the option of sentencing Mohammed to a term in the Utah State Prison or let him walk free on probation. She chose the latter.

Mohammed has been at the youth detention center since he pleaded guilty in 2012 to rape, sexual assault and kidnapping charges.

According to the terms of his probation, he must check in weekly with the court and his probation officer. He is banned from having Internet access and must wear an ankle monitor.

If he violates his probation, the judge said she “won’t bat an eye” in sending him to prison to serve consecutive sentences on the three crimes he pleaded guilty to in adult court.

“I won’t let you down,” Mohammed told the judge at the end of the hearing.

Female victims outraged at sentence

Neither the prosecutors nor Mohammed’s victims were happy with the judge’s sentence.

One victim told the judge that she is “terrified” at the thought of Mohammed being out on the same streets where she lives, the Tribune reports.

The woman, who was assaulted inside her home, asked for the strictest sentence the judge could impose, saying she has to live with flashbacks and fear every day.

“He did adult crimes,” she told the judge while fighting back tears, “and should have an adult sentence to match what he did.”

This is not the first Somali refugee to cause heartbreak and tragedy in Utah.

Somali refugee Abdi Mohamed, 17, was shot by police in Utah when he wouldn't put down a metal weapon.
Somali refugee Abdi Mohamed, 17, was shot by police in Utah when he wouldn’t put down a metal weapon.
In February 2016, 17-year-old Abdi Mohamed was reportedly in a coma after being shot three times by police following an incident in which Abdi was found beating another man, Fox 13 Now reported.

According to a press release from the Salt Lake City Police Department, officers witnessed two males with metal objects attacking a male victim around 8 p.m. in the area of 300 South Rio Grande Street.

The release states, “Officers confronted the two suspects and ordered them to drop the weapons. One of the males complied and dropped the weapon, the other [Abdi Mohamed] continued to advance on the victim and was shot by officers.”

That shooting sparked protest rallies to break out in the city with protesters throwing rocks and bottles at police.

Mohamed had reportedly come to the U.S. 10 years prior from a United Nations refugee camp in Kenya.

Most of the refugees in Utah are resettled there by Catholic Charities.

Rohingya Muslim refugee rapes, kills Christian refugee girl

In 2008 in Salt Lake City, a Rohingya Muslim from Burma named Esar Met was convicted of raping and murdering a fellow refugee – a 7-year-old Christian girl from Burma – in the apartment complex where a resettlement agency working for the U.S. State Department had placed him.

Esar Met, listens to proceedings in Judge Judith Atherton's court room, at the Matheson Courthouse in Salt Lake City, Thursday, January 9, 2014. Esar Met is accused of killing 7-year-old Hser Ner Moo, who disappeared on March 31, 2008.
Muslim refugee Esar Met, listens to proceedings at the Matheson Courthouse in Salt Lake City, Thursday, Jan. 9, 2014. Met was sentenced to life for the killing of 7-year-old Hser Ner Moo, who disappeared on March 31, 2008.
Met was sentenced to life in prison, where U.S. taxpayers will pick up the tab for his care.

Right after the murder in 2008, the Salt Lake Tribune discovered that Met lived in a separate part of the same refugee camp as did his victim – Hser Ner Moo.

“Burmese Muslims and Christians do not mix in their home country and no one should be expecting them to ‘melt’ into our American cultural stew either,” reported refugee watchdog Ann Corcoran.

Met clearly had mental health problems back in the camp and for that reason alone should never have been allowed entry into the U.S.

“So where is the highly touted ‘screening’ we are always told precedes a refugees arrival in America?” asks Corcoran.

Utah has received nearly 14,000 refugees from U.N. camps since 2002, with nearly 6,000 of those being from Muslim-majority countries. Exactly 2,996 have come from Somalia, according to the U.S. State Department’s Refugee Processing Center.

Are people in Utah ok with this?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Somali "refugee" walks free after raping 2 women in SLC

Post by brianj »

I am.

For starters, he didn't just walk free. He served six years in prison and now he's on parole. He will wear an ankle monitor and if he goes anywhere near his victims or if he commits another crime he's going to big boy jail.

I have read the average sentence for rape in the US is about 8 years; with time off for good behavior it wouldn't amount to a six year sentence.

Do you object more to this kid getting out after six years or Brock Turner only being sentenced to six months for rape? Or what about Austin Wilkerson not getting any jail time for rape?

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

brianj wrote: November 28th, 2017, 9:11 pm I am.

For starters, he didn't just walk free. He served six years in prison and now he's on parole. He will wear an ankle monitor and if he goes anywhere near his victims or if he commits another crime he's going to big boy jail.

I have read the average sentence for rape in the US is about 8 years; with time off for good behavior it wouldn't amount to a six year sentence.
Just to clear a couple things up. He was in Juevenile detention, its not the same as prison. Its not even close to as tough. I have friend who works at a JD facility, its closer to a YMCA than prison. Secondly, don't forget, he raped 2 women and robbed one of them as well. If the average is 8 years, he should serve 16 not 6 right? Why not just deport him?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

The earthly punishment for rape, when there is no doubt of guilt - like murder, when there is no doubt of guilt - should be a mandatory death sentence, regardless of who you are or where you come from - as what is taken in those two crimes cannot be restored - there can be no restitution performed by the rapist/murderer, unlike with lesser crimes, such as theft, etc. I would also put proven child molesters in the category of criminals requiring a death sentence, as well.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

EmmaLee wrote: November 29th, 2017, 11:09 am The earthly punishment for rape, when there is no doubt of guilt - like murder, when there is no doubt of guilt - should be a mandatory death sentence, regardless of who you are or where you come from - as what is taken in those two crimes cannot be restored - there can be no restitution performed by the rapist/murderer, unlike with lesser crimes, such as theft, etc. I would also put proven child molesters in the category of criminals requiring a death sentence, as well.
I agree the death sentence should come back for murder, but I'm not sure about rape. I do think that our society has degenerated to the point where criminals barely get a slap on the wrist for destroying lives and that is not right.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Rensai wrote: November 29th, 2017, 11:16 am
EmmaLee wrote: November 29th, 2017, 11:09 am The earthly punishment for rape, when there is no doubt of guilt - like murder, when there is no doubt of guilt - should be a mandatory death sentence, regardless of who you are or where you come from - as what is taken in those two crimes cannot be restored - there can be no restitution performed by the rapist/murderer, unlike with lesser crimes, such as theft, etc. I would also put proven child molesters in the category of criminals requiring a death sentence, as well.
I agree the death sentence should come back for murder, but I'm not sure about rape.
You might have a different view if you were a woman.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

Send him back.. there should be a zero tolerance for behavior like this. I guess where he is from this is normal behavior?

This is a real big problem with so many refugees coming in to countries.. it destabilizes the culture and society..

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Rensai wrote: November 28th, 2017, 5:29 pm Are people in Utah ok with this?
I am most certainly not. If you commit forcible sexual assault, you lose your head. The only exceptions are people truly insane and incapable of understanding their actions, and they get locked into a controlled prison hospital for the rest of their lives with no possibility for appeal or parole or any kind of reconsideration.

That is the extent of considerations. If you commit forcible sexual assault, you should be beheaded, and it should be public.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

brianj wrote: November 28th, 2017, 9:11 pm I am.

He shouldn't have to worry about a next time, he should be dead.
Death. One automatic appeal to ensure evidence was appropriate and correct, proper legal procedures were followed, and off to the chopping block.
Do you object more to this kid getting out after six years or only being sentenced to six months for rape?
No, both should be dead.
Or what about Austin Wilkerson not getting any jail time for rape?
Swing the axe and remove a rapist from society. If no one is willing to do it, let me know, I will. If I need to make my own axe, well, I can make a forge in my barn easily enough.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Rensai wrote: November 29th, 2017, 11:16 am I agree the death sentence should come back for murder, but I'm not sure about rape. I do think that our society has degenerated to the point where criminals barely get a slap on the wrist for destroying lives and that is not right.
Death. Period. One automatic appeal to ensure appropriate evidence and fair conviction and off to the chopping block.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

sandman45 wrote: November 29th, 2017, 11:52 am Send him back.. there should be a zero tolerance for behavior like this. I guess where he is from this is normal behavior?
Why use my tax dollars to buy a plane ticket? Swinging an axe and digging a hole doesn't cost much.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

EmmaLee wrote: November 29th, 2017, 11:24 am
I agree the death sentence should come back for murder, but I'm not sure about rape.
I certainly might. :)
I guess for me it depends on what the rape is. Is it a date rape situation where they start having sex, then the girl changes her mind and the guy doesn't stop kind of thing, which is bad, but not nearly as bad as say, violently assaulting and raping a random stranger, etc.

In any case, I think generally our justice system is terrible. Criminals get off lightly and victims rarely receive any restitution. The old testament laws required criminals to pay back victims for any damages incurred. That seems like a good idea to me. Send the rapists to some work camp and let them work for X years to pay the women they raped. Let these hedge fund crooks that rip of peoples retirements work away trying to pay everyone back, etc.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Rensai wrote: November 29th, 2017, 5:51 pm
EmmaLee wrote: November 29th, 2017, 11:24 am
I certainly might. :)
I guess for me it depends on what the rape is. Is it a date rape situation where they start having sex, then the girl changes her mind and the guy doesn't stop kind of thing, which is bad, but not nearly as bad as say, violently assaulting and raping a random stranger, etc.

In any case, I think generally our justice system is terrible. Criminals get off lightly and victims rarely receive any restitution. The old testament laws required criminals to pay back victims for any damages incurred. That seems like a good idea to me. Send the rapists to some work camp and let them work for X years to pay the women they raped.
There is no restitution for rape - that's why it should be a death penalty crime. There is no amount of money or anything else that restores what was stolen from the woman. It's pretty simple, really - and is why the perpetrators of murder and rape should die for their crimes.

Let these hedge fund crooks that rip of peoples retirements work away trying to pay everyone back, etc.
I agree completely.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Send him to Canada or Germany.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

skmo wrote: November 29th, 2017, 4:37 pm
sandman45 wrote: November 29th, 2017, 11:52 am Send him back.. there should be a zero tolerance for behavior like this. I guess where he is from this is normal behavior?
Why use my tax dollars to buy a plane ticket? Swinging an axe and digging a hole doesn't cost much.
fair point. Im ok with that.. you got my vote

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I would agree with the death sentence for murder.
I would also agree with the death penalty for rape, except there are many documented cases of false allegations of rape made by women. It seems some experience remorse in the morning and medicate it by alleging rape.
Therefore, I would suggest these women have spoiled any chance of genuine victims getting justice.

RTaylor
captain of 10

Post by RTaylor »

Death penalty but we should require a higher level of proof to get the strictest punishment. This is the justice system you get when the judges and legislators are a bunch of sex trafficking pedophiles!

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Robin Hood wrote: December 1st, 2017, 6:53 am
I would agree with the death sentence for murder.
I would also agree with the death penalty for rape, except there are many documented cases of false allegations of rape made by women. It seems some experience remorse in the morning and medicate it by alleging rape.
Therefore, I would suggest these women have spoiled any chance of genuine victims getting justice.
I agree, which is why I said, "when there is no doubt of guilt". Crime reported/charges made immediately, rape kit performed, abundant and obvious evidence, etc. Or witnesses, confession of the rapist, DNA, etc. When there is no doubt in the eyes of a jury that a person forcibly committed rape (on either a man or a woman) - the death penalty.

sandman45
captain of 1,000

Post by sandman45 »

Been reading the old testament with the wife lately..

and there are a lot of crimes that if you commit you are killed, or destroyed etc... was shocking some of them..

and check it out.. Rape is on here.. you rape.. you die..
Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 1.19.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 1.19.53 PM.png (280.52 KiB) Viewed 657 times

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

sandman45 wrote: December 4th, 2017, 1:21 pm Been reading the old testament with the wife lately..

and there are a lot of crimes that if you commit you are killed, or destroyed etc... was shocking some of them..

and check it out.. Rape is on here.. you rape.. you die..

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 1.19.53 PM.png
I think the scribes did some tampering with some things in the OT, but that is an interesting point. Thanks for sharing.