Joseph Smith and the principles he taught

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
XEmilyX
captain of 1,000

Joseph Smith and the principles he taught

Post by XEmilyX »

Hi! So I heard that Joseph Smith taught principles and ideas that the church rejected a long time ago because they didn't want any more revelation, they liked where they were at. What was it that he taught that they rejected? Could someone lead me to what this was?
Thank you!

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Re: Joseph Smith and the principles he taught

Post by Hogmeister »

You won’t find much.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

XEmilyX wrote: November 22nd, 2017, 2:42 pm Hi! So I heard that Joseph Smith taught principles and ideas that the church rejected a long time ago because they didn't want any more revelation, they liked where they were at. What was it that he taught that they rejected? Could someone lead me to what this was?
Thank you!
Ho. Ho. Ho. - Hee, Hee, Hee, Ha Ha Ha :lol:

I heard a funny one myself just a few minutes ago. I hear there was a girl who swore she would never date again. She'd given up because she was caught between two X's.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

Not trying to be rude here but I find this post very suspicious. Her name has 2 x's and she barely joined this forum 10 days ago ..... hmmmm

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

"There has been a great difficulty in getting anything into the heads of this generation. It has been like splitting hemlock knots with a corn-dodger for a wedge and a pumpkin for a beetle.” (Discourses of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 146)

"I have tried for a number of years to get the minds of the Saints prepared to receive the things of God; but we frequently see some of them, after suffering all they have for the work of God, will fly to pieces like glass as soon as anything comes that is contrary to their traditions: they cannot stand the fire at all." (History of the Church, 6:184–85; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Jan. 21, 1844, in Nauvoo, Illinois; reported by Wilford Woodruff.)

"It is my meditation all the day, and more than my meat and drink, to know how I shall make the Saints of God comprehend the visions that roll like an overflowing surge before my mind.” (B.H. Roberts, History of the Church 5:362)

"Men are in the habit, when the truth is exhibited by the servants of God, of saying, All is mystery; they have spoken in parables, and, therefore, are not to be understood. It is true they have eyes to see, and see not, but none are so blind as those who will not see.” (Joseph Fielding Smith (editor), Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 96)

I don't believe he ever said anything specific, and I'm not sure that much of what he was trying to teach was even teachable directly. There is much you have to get from God yourself.

ParticleMan
captain of 100

Post by ParticleMan »

"I could explain a hundred fold more than I ever have of the glories of the kingdoms manifested to me in the vision, were I permitted, and were the people prepared to receive them.

"The Lord deals with this people as a tender parent with a child, communicating light and intelligence and the knowledge of his ways as they can bear it." (STPJS 304)

Joseph taught some things to select few that he didn't teach to all. Some of these teachings Brigham taught openly and attributed them to Joseph. But by Wilford's day, the Saints still hadn't come to understand these things, and so this greater light was taken away. Instead of plainness, we have been left with fables. Nevertheless, the Spirit testifies of truth to those who ask, seek, and knock.

These words are also germane to latter-day Israel:

"But behold, the Jews were a stiffnecked people; and they despised the words of plainness, and killed the prophets, and sought for things that they could not understand. Wherefore, because of their blindness, which blindness came by looking beyond the mark, they must needs fall; for God hath taken away his plainness from them, and delivered unto them many things which they cannot understand, because they desired it. And because they desired it God hath done it, that they may stumble." (Jacob 4:14)