Don't know what to do

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Don't know what to do

Post by David13 »

I know of a number of people moving out of California and are able to sell their house over asking price. Some have bidders bidding far over asking price, because the demand is so great. Of course that is certain areas, but if they bought that house 10 or 20 years or more earlier that is rather a good investment and a substantial retirement or moving account (as long as they are not mortgaged to the hilt).
How long that will last is anyone's guess, but the demand to move into many areas of California is still great.
dc

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Spend less money on a mobile home and put that saved money towards a bigger piece of land to set the home on. Mobile homes have come a long way in 20-30 years. Put it on a foundation and you just about have the same as a site built home.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Gage wrote: November 16th, 2017, 8:44 am Spend less money on a mobile home and put that saved money towards a bigger piece of land to set the home on. Mobile homes have come a long way in 20-30 years. Put it on a foundation and you just about have the same as a site built home.
I agree.

LdsMarco,
My understanding from when I was in real estate (some years ago) is that mobile homes are a bit like cars - they depreciate. Invest in a home - even if it’s a condo - though watch out for homowner association fees. And location is important.

As far as So Ca - and wanting a better place to raise your family... again, it’s been a while, but it seemed that the more rural, the better - generally. I was impressed with people in Barstow and Banning (Yucaipa has grown a lot but maybe it too). And if I were to move to AZ, I’d go for somewhere close to Flagstaff - so you have hot or cooler weather options. AZ summers are like No. UT winters - too extreme weather to enjoy the outdoors. Have you thought about southern UT?

As mentioned, study it out & pray... things work out best that way.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

As one who has lived in 7 rentals and 5 homes in 30 years of marriage I am reminded of the scripture D & C 58:25-27:

25 Wherefore, let them bring their families to this land, as they shall counsel between themselves and me.

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

We always prayed to be guided what to do and where to move but we didn't always get that lightning bolt as to what was the right answer. God trusts us with our decisions and usually we are required to take a leap of faith in making them. Best of luck with your decision.

( "Move" is a 4 letter word in my vocabulary. Thankfully we have lived in the same house for the past 11 years.)

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

harakim wrote: November 16th, 2017, 6:51 am I agree with most everyone here:
1. I don't know if this applies to all manufactured, but I was told (and confirmed in some cases) manufactured homes were of higher quality than regular homes because they had to withstand the drive from the factory, they weren't exposed to the weather during construction and the parts of the house can stand apart, but are also supported by each other. For example, they are built with 2x6s rather than 2x4s.
2. Don't waste your life doing what seems to be a temporarily better financial arrangement or put your life's mission on hold to make a few bucks. It won't work. And you'll hold yourself back from being happy and being successful.
3. If you want to get out of California, then don't buy a house there! It would be better to buy a house somewhere else and visit it occasionally then buy a house in a hot market you don't want to live in. If you buy a house there, there is a high likelihood that you will be stuck there. And you'll get stuck when the market is down and crime is up. Not in the semi-idyllic conditions we have today.
4. I don't think California is on the verge of collapse, however... I was talking to some family members who live in Salt Lake and told them about how I used to drive through there and I was the only car on the road. In a few months, it changed to a normal flow and now when I drive through Salt Lake, it's jam packed. One of them related to me that he has lived in a place for a few months and his commute went from 10 minutes to 15 minutes because of the traffic. Then the other said that it was all the people coming from California. I can attest that I see a LOT of California license plates, even where I live. Most of the people I work with are from California. Anyone Caucasian who can do anything of value is leaving California. I would guess the economy will continue to be good for a while longer, but not forever.

What I would do? Think about where you actually want to live and pay cash for a house there. Then just rent in LA or wherever. Save up so you can get out of the game. You can buy a pretty nice house for 130k in most of the country. If you run your own cattle and have chickens, fruit trees and a garden, you can live very well on 1000 dollars a month with a family. Total cost to retire for 10 years? 250k. And, of course, you can probably find a job of some kind there and extend that indefinitely. I'm sure you won't get any deal like that in California.

Definitely pray about it. I also have been assured I'll be fine through many of the coming trials even though I have some precarious situations going on.
We have remodeled alot of our manufactured (not mobile) home. We have actually noticed that the home is built of less quality than a stick built home. It's not just how it's put together but the actual materials used.

After pulling off the wall paper junk and the wall divider strips, we decided we would remove the dry wall too because the wall paper ripped the drywal too much and looked bad.
The drywall is thinner than standard, and the drywall is glued AND stapled a ton to the studs which are also smaller than normal studs (often free floating within the wall) as well as spliced together sometimes in 2 places each board to make them longer.

We had to pull all the staples and use a electric tool to essentially scrape every single stud to remove the drywall chunks and glue. Often we decided to replace the studs as well as that was WAY easier than getting that mess all cleaned off.

This house is the product of an assembly line of staple guns!!

I will stress again that if you will be working on your home at all or buying a used manufacture home, dont. You just can't work on them or buy replacements that eaisily. You can extend your labor time, cost, and project area when working on these homes.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

brianj wrote: November 15th, 2017, 8:09 pm My thoughts:
Don't think of a house as an investment. There are plenty of economic signs to indicate the economy is going to have a significant "correction" in the not too distant future. If this is as bad as some are forecasting, it may be a long time before you could sell your house at a break even price or a profit.
I wasn't going to resell the house. I would eventually rent it out. My plan is to buy a few homes (after this one) and pretty much rent them so I can purchase more. I have other inheritance coming my way soon, I hope. The plan is to have as much property I can.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

farmerchick wrote: November 16th, 2017, 12:07 am LDS Marco,
Without knowing to much about your financial\job situation, it's hard for anyone to give sound advice to you. But....I am a real estate investor. Every house I buy is an investment, even the first manufactured home that I bought to live in. I have acquired many homes over the past 15 years. I have several manufactured homes and I have several stick built homes. I invest inside the I-5 corridor in western Washington. I specialize in mostly rural homes on acreage on the outskirts of several larger cities. I have remodeled several manufactured homes. I have bought new manufactured homes and installed them. I have built several custom homes as well. If I were you I would buy a starter home in a good area in a place where there are employment opportunities. I would leave CA...but that's just me. I would buy it with the intent that it is an investment and go as cheaply as possible and pay cash if possible. Put down as much money as possible. Most people only live in a home on average 6 to 10 years and then trade up. Pay it off.... sell it or rent it and move up to a better home. As some have mentioned, housing is cyclical. Right now especially in the sea-tac area we are peaking, but there are still good deals to be had if you look. You know your price range.... look for foreclosures that need paint and small non structural fixes. There is money to be made in the housing market. If you buy and lose some value because the market crashes, hang on. What goes down eventually goes back up. I usually buy alot during the down markets when everyone else is scared because of market volatility. I buy during the uptick of prices only if it's distressed and I get a good deal. I make money on my real estate during UPS and downs and I always pay cash. I started out poor and confused just like everyone else, but I realized that a house is just a house. Live under your means and work your way up to a better home. I rarely flip homes, I keep them as rentals. Right now I'm in a great position as rents have gone insanely high. As with anything, you have to be wise and know the housing market you are buying into. The best advice I could give you, is to pay cash for a starter house in an area you want to be in and live under your means. Good Luck!
Thanks for your advice! It really gets my hopes up

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

Spaced_Out wrote: November 16th, 2017, 4:41 am Move to Australia or Canada, the USA is going down the drain it is already stuck in the outlet pipe,just a little push..

Now why would I leave the Promise Land? :)

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

harakim wrote: November 16th, 2017, 6:51 am I agree with most everyone here:
1. I don't know if this applies to all manufactured, but I was told (and confirmed in some cases) manufactured homes were of higher quality than regular homes because they had to withstand the drive from the factory, they weren't exposed to the weather during construction and the parts of the house can stand apart, but are also supported by each other. For example, they are built with 2x6s rather than 2x4s.
I was told the structure of manufactured homes (at least the ones I was looking at) were as strong as regular homes. So, I tend to agree. It all depends which ones are we looking at.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

David13 wrote: November 16th, 2017, 7:27 am I know of a number of people moving out of California and are able to sell their house over asking price. Some have bidders bidding far over asking price, because the demand is so great. Of course that is certain areas, but if they bought that house 10 or 20 years or more earlier that is rather a good investment and a substantial retirement or moving account (as long as they are not mortgaged to the hilt).
How long that will last is anyone's guess, but the demand to move into many areas of California is still great.
dc
Yes! My parents have a house in LB and it's valued over $500,000. And they just sold another house over $400,000. People were actually bidding for it because they wanted it so bad. That being said, my dad sold it more than he asked lol

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

Thinker wrote: November 16th, 2017, 9:22 am
Gage wrote: November 16th, 2017, 8:44 am Spend less money on a mobile home and put that saved money towards a bigger piece of land to set the home on. Mobile homes have come a long way in 20-30 years. Put it on a foundation and you just about have the same as a site built home.
As far as So Ca - and wanting a better place to raise your family... again, it’s been a while, but it seemed that the more rural, the better - generally. I was impressed with people in Barstow and Banning (Yucaipa has grown a lot but maybe it too). And if I were to move to AZ, I’d go for somewhere close to Flagstaff - so you have hot or cooler weather options. AZ summers are like No. UT winters - too extreme weather to enjoy the outdoors. Have you thought about southern UT?
I've lived in Nogales/Rio Rico, AZ. Flaagstaff is beyond hot LOL. Rio Rico, AZ is perfect on the mountains :) Away from the city.

I don't know much about UT. I've only gone there for a week when I went for BYU Educational Week. I liked Provo a lot.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

LdsMarco wrote: November 15th, 2017, 3:27 pm
Juliet wrote: November 15th, 2017, 3:23 pm Do what brings peace and calm. I say don't worry about the big earthquake. Just stay light hearted in the Holy Spirit. By doing that, you may find yourself on vacation out of California just as the earthquake hits. But, if you live in fear, even if you did move to UT or Arizona, chances are you would be on vacation back to California when the earthquake hits. Has anyone else experienced anything like that? It is better to be calm then to focus on danger because somehow the worry warts are always worrying about Murphy whether he comes or not; and the light hearted get by alright even if Murphy does visit.
It's interesting you say that because I was given that EXACT impression. I was worried about the great big earthquake but then I was given a comfort feeling to not worry about that.

I've also had impressions that I might be on vacation when it occurs. Great minds think alike :)
Agreed - go for the peace. you could do everything possible to avoid natural disasters and then die in the first week of a plague. Better to just go where you are supposed to.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I have told a number of people that I believe I was called to live here.
Some people agree, some don't. (Some wanted me to stay in Los Angeles [the ward never wants to lose anyone]).
When I tell people here that I believe I was called to live here, they say 'everyone here feels that way'.
dc

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

I have only read the OP, so pardon me if this is kicking a dead horse.

Get outta Cali. I grew up in North California. Just about every LDS person I grew up with and their entire families are out of California. It sure seems to me that God has been moving LDS out of California.

There is absolutely a gathering in Arizona. The Gilbert temple is amazing and has new homes all around. Come to ZION come to ZION - or at least pre ZION.

The saints are gathered in Arizona, Utah, and Idaho which is - not coincidentally imho - right up against the borders of the New Jerusalem.

There is prophesied destruction within the borders which may be why we are outside the edge. The coasts as well are very blue and very pro anti God, so I would not recommend living on either coast.

My article that discusses the boundaries and the saints gathering up against the border:

http://lordoftheseraphim.blogspot.com/2 ... mbols.html

I'm not saying every saint in Cali is doomed or even that everyone in Cali is doomed; however, unless you feel that God wants you there, get outta dodge imho.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

While California might not be considered a good place to be when the wrath of God comes, I am not so sure that a heavily populated Mormon state will be any safer.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Gage wrote: November 16th, 2017, 1:16 pm While California might not be considered a good place to be when the wrath of God comes, I am not so sure that a heavily populated Mormon state will be any safer.
The safest place is being in a righteous place. God always leads out every last righteous family before dropping the hammer. A group of righteous people? That's even safer:
JST Matthew: 27 And now I show unto you a parable. Behold, wheresoever the carcass is, there will the eagles be gathered together; so likewise shall mine elect be gathered from the four quarters of the earth.
Edit: I just realized that JST Matthew 24:27 may be about the map I posted. I used it to illustrate that the saints will be gathered together when the SHTF (stuff hits the fan - come on people.) However, if the Saints are grouped up between California and that prophesy about Missouri being laid to waste comes to pass, then the analogy of JST Matthew 24:27 may be slightly less analogy and more real with actual carcasses on either side. Woah. :shock:

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

LdsMarco wrote: November 16th, 2017, 10:21 am
brianj wrote: November 15th, 2017, 8:09 pm My thoughts:
Don't think of a house as an investment. There are plenty of economic signs to indicate the economy is going to have a significant "correction" in the not too distant future. If this is as bad as some are forecasting, it may be a long time before you could sell your house at a break even price or a profit.
I wasn't going to resell the house. I would eventually rent it out. My plan is to buy a few homes (after this one) and pretty much rent them so I can purchase more. I have other inheritance coming my way soon, I hope. The plan is to have as much property I can.
You hope you have other inheritance coming your way soon? That's pretty dark.

If the idea is a rental house, what about buying a house where you want to live and renting it out until you can move there? It may become a catalyst to get you to move sooner.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

kittycat51 wrote: November 16th, 2017, 9:46 am As one who has lived in 7 rentals and 5 homes in 30 years of marriage I am reminded of the scripture D & C 58:25-27:

25 Wherefore, let them bring their families to this land, as they shall counsel between themselves and me.

26 For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

27 Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness;

We always prayed to be guided what to do and where to move but we didn't always get that lightning bolt as to what was the right answer. God trusts us with our decisions and usually we are required to take a leap of faith in making them. Best of luck with your decision.

( "Move" is a 4 letter word in my vocabulary. Thankfully we have lived in the same house for the past 11 years.)
https://latterdaycommentary.com/tag/jon-mcnaughton/ wrote:
Prompted by Study of Prophecy
This dream or vision came to me during an intense period of studying the signs of the last days, especially as they relate to this nation. For my study texts I was using 1) the scriptures, ancient and modern, 2) Prophecy: Key to the Future by Duane S. Crowther, 3), The Coming of the Lord by Gerald Lund and 4) The Prophecy Trilogy of books from my friend Anthony Larson.

Gangs of Roving Thieves
A major component of the dream was the idea that the government of the United States had been broken up. The government of this golden state was also no more. In fact, much of the state had been obliterated by earthquakes, fires and yes, even volcanoes in the Northern parts of the state. But the most memorable images were the bands of roving thieves or thugs. They were merciless.
My thoughts follow a similar a similar pattern and what led me to postulate 7 years of prosperity. :P

Me thinks me stay put a thousand miles from everything ‘till the coast is clear 8+ years from now. 8-)

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

LdsMarco wrote: November 16th, 2017, 10:46 am
Thinker wrote: November 16th, 2017, 9:22 am
I've lived in Nogales/Rio Rico, AZ. Flaagstaff is beyond hot LOL. Rio Rico, AZ is perfect on the mountains :) Away from the city.

I don't know much about UT. I've only gone there for a week when I went for BYU Educational Week. I liked Provo a lot.
Provo is nice - but probably much colder than you’re used to. Thanks for the idea of Rio Rico - I might suggest it to a friend who’s looking for a good place to live in AZ.
I hope you figure out what’s best for you & your family.

Side question: What is your symbolic meaning of the upside down flag in your avatar?