JS's assassination reference?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

JS's assassination reference?

Post by JohnnyL »

I can't find the GC talk reference (I thought it was Elder Oaks) about the secret meeting with representatives of most of the states to vote for the assassination of JS--it really was mostly about his running (and winning) for the presidency of the USA. Help?

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: JS's assassination reference?

Post by mes5464 »

I found this

Joseph Smith - ensign

In the meantime, William Law and others in Illinois were plotting to take the life of Joseph Smith. Dr. Wall Southwick recounted a meeting he had attended in Carthage, Illinois, wherein the enemies of the Prophet had gathered together from every state in the Union but three. They were concerned that Joseph’s “views on government were widely circulated and took like wildfire.” According to Southwick, they believed that if the Prophet “did not get into the Presidential chair this election, he would be sure to the next time; and if Illinois and Missouri would join together and kill him, they would not be brought to justice for it.”28 Dr. Southwick’s statement suggests that the Prophet’s presidential campaign was at least a contributing cause for his assassination.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

mes5464 wrote: November 15th, 2017, 8:59 am I found this

Joseph Smith - ensign

In the meantime, William Law and others in Illinois were plotting to take the life of Joseph Smith. Dr. Wall Southwick recounted a meeting he had attended in Carthage, Illinois, wherein the enemies of the Prophet had gathered together from every state in the Union but three. They were concerned that Joseph’s “views on government were widely circulated and took like wildfire.” According to Southwick, they believed that if the Prophet “did not get into the Presidential chair this election, he would be sure to the next time; and if Illinois and Missouri would join together and kill him, they would not be brought to justice for it.”28 Dr. Southwick’s statement suggests that the Prophet’s presidential campaign was at least a contributing cause for his assassination.
Yes, that's it! Thank you.

BUT wait! I thought for sure this was in a GC talk?? At least I have words to search it by now. :)
(Update: Can't find it in GC talks.)

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

JohnnyL wrote: November 15th, 2017, 11:37 am
mes5464 wrote: November 15th, 2017, 8:59 am I found this

Joseph Smith - ensign

Yes, that's it! Thank you.

BUT wait! I thought for sure this was in a GC talk?? At least I have words to search it by now. :)
(Update: Can't find it in GC talks.)
Thanks for sharing this. I added it to my list of quotes.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »