Question on Random Appearances of Spirit Entities

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Tbone
captain of 100

Question on Random Appearances of Spirit Entities

Post by Tbone »

On Saturday I was talking with a Sister from another stake about encounters with spirits (not necessarily evil spirits). She shared how her deceased grandfather or great-grandfather occasionally makes appearances in his old house. I don’t believe he speaks or responds, but he just sits and reads.

Other friends who I trust have had similar encounters with spirits, and since I know them well I don’t just discount their stories as something completely made up. I believe that all of these people are telling me the truth.

However, I don’t understand why these seemingly random encounters occur, especially when the spirit neither communicates, nor seems to acknowledge the presence of mortals (though that’s not the case in most of the stories I’ve heard), which sort of reminds me of D&C 129. However, in none of the cases of which I am aware has a spirit attempted to frighten or harm any of my friends, though sometimes they were freaked out. I don’t believe these are evil spirits or anything, but I think I’d be a bit freaked out, too.

This has probably been discussed in other threads, but I just thought I’d ask for some input from anyone who may have some wisdom in this topic of which I have no experience and little knowledge.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Question on Random Appearances of Spirit Entities

Post by Thinker »

There are probably various reasons, depending on each unique circumstance. In my experience, it is most often to give help, comfort, guidance or protection...

The spirit world is real & is around us - we just are kind of tuned to different stations, but every now & then we get glimpses of it. As mentioned, there are various reasons, but they all remind me that there is more going on than meets the eye.
Last edited by Thinker on November 6th, 2017, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justkeepswimming
captain of 100

Post by justkeepswimming »

Have you read this Elder Holland talk? I'm not sure you are talking about angels when you say spirits, but I'm also not sure there's a difference in this case.

"Usually such beings are not seen. Sometimes they are. But seen or unseen they are always near. Sometimes their assignments are very grand and have significance for the whole world. Sometimes the messages are more private. Occasionally the angelic purpose is to warn. But most often it is to comfort, to provide some form of merciful attention, guidance in difficult times."

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng

Warrior Of Jah
captain of 10

Post by Warrior Of Jah »

believe it!

read the book: "our search for hapinnes" - M Russel Ballard (the greatest of the twelve)

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

"Random" is the perfect word to describe these sorts of manifestations, but only from the human perspective. In the understanding of the Lord, there is an express purpose and timing. In my own experience, I have never been actively seeking a visit from beyond the veil when they occur. However, occur they do. His Ways are higher than my ways.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I think some of these "appearances" are time slips.
Their spirit isn't actually there, you're just seeing a scene from the past. Many years ago I had a Patriarch tell me that buildings absorb scenes, feelings, and emotions over the years and that these can be played back, so to speak. This is often what people see when they see a ghost in an old house; it's simply a replay of a previous scene or emotion recorded in the fabric of the building.

I know it sounds strange, but he told me he can walk into a thousand year old village church and just feel the worship and prayers of the people almost oozing from the old walls. he also said that he doesn't talk about it to the Saints because they're not spiritual enough to understand it. "These people", he said (we were in church at the time), "are mostly ignorant".
It was an interesting conversation.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Robin Hood wrote: November 8th, 2017, 4:36 am I think some of these "appearances" are time slips.
Their spirit isn't actually there, you're just seeing a scene from the past. Many years ago I had a Patriarch tell me that buildings absorb scenes, feelings, and emotions over the years and that these can be played back, so to speak. This is often what people see when they see a ghost in an old house; it's simply a replay of a previous scene or emotion recorded in the fabric of the building.

I know it sounds strange, but he told me he can walk into a thousand year old village church and just feel the worship and prayers of the people almost oozing from the old walls. he also said that he doesn't talk about it to the Saints because they're not spiritual enough to understand it. "These people", he said (we were in church at the time), "are mostly ignorant".
This sheds new light on some of the experiences of "Spencer" found in the book "Visions of Glory" penned by John Pontius. Thank you for sharing, RH.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I was walking this morning and saw a squirrel. I'm not sure there was any meaning to it, this was just due to the fact that we were both existing in a close enough proximity to observe one another. If a big rock, a tree, or some other object was in the way I would not have seen the squirrel. If I had my head down, or my eyes closed, or the sun happened to be in my eyes, I would not have seen it.

Sometimes we see because of proximity and lack of obstructions. Maybe there is a purpose or maybe it is just a part of our reality.

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

Robin Hood wrote: November 8th, 2017, 4:36 am I think some of these "appearances" are time slips.
I have heard of this before, but I didn't know if the sources were credible. It's really interesting that this would come from a Patriarch, and it seems to make sense and explain why in the instance I refer to the grandfather just sat reading or in another instance a friend in Mexico saw a woman dressed in period clothing staring at her with no apparent reaction in her family's courtyard. I had another friend in Laos who saw a spirit smoking. Obviously spirits can't smoke, so it was probably just a "time slip" like you mention.
Robin Hood wrote: November 8th, 2017, 4:36 am I know it sounds strange, but he told me he can walk into a thousand year old village church and just feel the worship and prayers of the people almost oozing from the old walls. he also said that he doesn't talk about it to the Saints because they're not spiritual enough to understand it. "These people", he said (we were in church at the time), "are mostly ignorant".
I don't think it sounds strange at all, although I am among the "mostly ignorant". I served my mission in Spain and there's an old basilica I entered into once and felt exactly what you are talking about. Apostasy or no, their faith was very real and the building seemed full of it. I've also noticed it in some of our temples I've been in. I haven't been in very many, but the Provo Temple is where I felt it the strongest and sweetest.

And in response to Thinker and justkeepswimming (I can't write that without thinking of Dory swimming down into the abyss!) I am familiar with experiences you are referring to where spirits come to give comfort. I know you edited out details of your personal experiences, Thinker, but my sister had a pretty remarkable visitation from my grandmother and aunt that probably prepared her for a big trial that came a few months later. Also, I had a family friend who was dying of cancer who received some visitations towards the end, but I think they may have been there to accompany her back home.

It will be fascinating to see once we cross the veil how things actually worked in our lives, such as who it was that provided certain protections or promptings at key moments of our lives. I am 100% certain those are real and they come from beyond the veil.

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

Warrior Of Jah wrote: November 7th, 2017, 4:14 pm believe it!

read the book: "our search for hapinnes" - M Russel Ballard (the greatest of the twelve)
Is there a particular part I should read? I read it almost 20 years ago, and I think the only thing I remember is the Ford Edsel was a flop. Obviously I am due for another look at it.

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

Silver wrote: November 8th, 2017, 5:08 am

This sheds new light on some of the experiences of "Spencer" found in the book "Visions of Glory" penned by John Pontius. Thank you for sharing, RH.
Haha, I loved Visions of Glory, but you probably just made Robin Hood cringe!

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

Silver wrote: November 8th, 2017, 5:08 am

I don't care what others think. I liked that book. :)

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I believe that we can ask in faith for spiritual help and we will receive it - maybe not as we planned - but as is best. And I want to do this more. But I need more faith, so I was looking up different perspectives or experiences with spirits and angels...

Joan of Arc 1412 - 1431: "I saw them with my bodily eyes as clearly as I see you. And when they departed, I used to weep and wish they would take me with them."

St Thomas Aquinas 1225 - 1274: "An Angel can illuminate the thought and mind of man by strengthening the power of vision and by bringing within his reach some truth which the Angel himself contemplates."

Henry Ward Beecher 1813 - 1887: We go to the grave of a friend saying, "A man is dead," but Angels throng about him saying, "A man is born."

Hebrews 13:2 "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained Angels unawares."
(This reminds me of a part in the Mary Poppins Song...
"All around the cathedral the saints and apostles
Look down as she sells her wares
Although you can't see it, you know they are smiling
Each time someone shows that he cares"

Thomas Carlyle 1795 - 1881: Music is well said to be the speech of Angels, in fact, nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so Divine. It brings us near to the Infinite.

EE Freeman: "When babies look beyond you and giggle, maybe they're seeing Angels."

Carl Jung 1875 - 1961: The Angels are a strange genus, they are...beings who represent nothing but the thoughts and intuitions of their Lord.

Origen 185 - 254: "When anyone prays, the Angels that minister to God and watch over mankind gather round about him and join with him in prayer."

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

It's difficult to answer if you're not present. But if you want a straight answer from my experience and knowledge, I would ask what is it that they want and why are they here. What is the purpose? To keep me company? I highly doubt it.

If there's no answer, then I would send them on their way. I would directly tell them if they're lost, they need to find their way to the light.

If they're evil spirits, I would cast them out.

It is my opinion to know why they are here. If it's for protection - then so be it. But there's no need to be seen. This is why I question the idea if they're from God or not. If they're sent from God, they need to respond what is their motive.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

LdsMarco wrote: November 27th, 2017, 12:28 pm It's difficult to answer if you're not present. But if you want a straight answer from my experience and knowledge, I would ask what is it that they want and why are they here. What is the purpose? To keep me company? I highly doubt it. Spirits have work to do and it's not just to hang around and do nothing

If there's no answer, then I would send them on their way. I would directly tell them if they're lost, they need to find their way to the light.

If they're evil spirits, I would cast them out.

It is my opinion to know why they are here. If it's for protection - then so be it. But there's no need to be seen. This is why I question the idea if they're from God or not. If they're sent from God, they need to respond what is their motive.