Conceal carry in church

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Conceal carry in church

Post by Lizzy60 »

We've had some heated discussion here about taking a concealed gun into church meetings. After today's insanity in a small Baptist church in rural TX, I hope all y'all will welcome any and all responsible and trained people who are ready to protect you and your family, any time, anywhere, even at church.
Last edited by Lizzy60 on November 5th, 2017, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Conceal carry in church

Post by Thinker »

How sad. Let’s pray for all involved.

Yes, it appears like we may need to more often exercise our right to bare arms, but I also hope we also remember to improve stress management so we act calmly & responsibly.

I realize this is so recent and not a lot is known but I wonder if this and some other mass killings have some affiliation with organized crime.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I certainly would. That's the only sensible way to do it.
Someone mentioned in church today that there were two church shootings today.
I don't know the details, but I would believe that they were part of the agenda to a. destroy Christianity, and/or b. to bring about "gun control" or the outright seizure of all guns in the hand of (law abiding) citizens. (They won't go after the criminals)
However, the sensible, sane way is to have people carrying in church. That way there is some effective defense against anyone opening fire in the church.
I live in Utah. The church in Utah has foolishly notified the state that they don't want guns in church, so that in effect is law in Utah.
Maybe the church will now get common sense and rescind that notification.
It's one thing to have someone shooting at you in church. It's an entirely different thing to be able to shoot back.
I like the idea of being able to shoot back, if someone is shooting at me.
dc
Last edited by David13 on November 5th, 2017, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Thinker wrote: November 5th, 2017, 3:08 pm How sad. Let’s pray for all involved.

Yes, it appears like we may need to more often exercise our right to bare arms, but I also hope we also remember to improve stress management so we act calmly & responsibly.

I realize this is so recent and not a lot is known but I wonder if this and some other mass killings have some affiliation with organized crime.
I hope I don't sound over critical, and I know it's a minor thing, but it's bear arms. Just like in bearing children.
Bare arms result when one wears a short sleeve shirt, or a sleeveless shirt.
dc

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

See thread Violence USA Continues
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=46960
David13 wrote: November 5th, 2017, 3:14 pm Someone mentioned in church today that there were two church shootings today.
I don't know the details,

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

I guess it is my Protestant heritage what makes me feel uncomfortable hearing about people carrying weapons in the church. Where I live, the old churches have a porch which is called weaponhouse. In the old days, people left their weapons there before entering the sanctuary. It served a practical purpose, but I also think that it had a symbolic value for the people. Lord is the Prince of Peace and there were no weapons in his house. Leaving the weapons was also a way to set the church apart from the world.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

I'm always armed at church.

There are several people in the stake I suspect ignore the firearm policy, but I don't know that for sure.

I think it was a mistake on the part of the church to make that decision.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I live in Arizona and have never heard or read of any directive that members are not to "pack heat" in church buildings. Has any one else heard or read of such a directive ?
Last edited by lundbaek on November 5th, 2017, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

Yes I have. I have a friend who was asked by his bishop to stop carrying. And was told that was the policy of the church.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

lundbaek wrote: November 5th, 2017, 5:53 pm I live in Arizona and have never heard or read of any directive that members are not to "pack heat" in church buildings. Has any one else heard or read of such a directive ?
I believe the church somewhere has asked or suggested that no one carry.
However, in Utah, they did notify the state that they don't want guns in church, which makes it law, basically.
But the old saying is, would you rather be judged by 12, or carried by 6.
dc

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

I used to conceal carry at church every week but stopped once I found out that the church went to the BCI with their intention to ban guns on church property. This really puts gun owners in a pickle and It really bothers me that I can't in good conscience carry at church, but at the same time I want to follow church policy. I think this policy needs to change.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

lundbaek wrote: November 5th, 2017, 5:53 pm I live in Arizona and have never heard or read of any directive that members are not to "pack heat" in church buildings. Has any one else heard or read of such a directive ?
It is in the Handbook. Not sure if 1 or 2. I have read it.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

I don't think anyone can stop someone with a semi automatic fast enough to save many lives. This would have to be well thought out.
Someone with experience, strategically placed and watching for an event like this. Otherwise I can imagine members with guns shooting each other, wiping out the ward choir and all the leaders and speakers!
I have a fear of someone doing this in a Temple. I like to be pro-active rather than wait until innocent people are killed like sitting ducks.

Spider
captain of 100

Post by Spider »

Guns aren't banned in LDS churches. It is the church's preference that people not bring guns to church. I've read the policy and that was my understanding. We discussed it in our ward council a while back. I know at least 2 people in my ward who conceal carry to church and my bishop is aware of this.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

It's a good idea to not bring them. If the kid sees his dad packing then he'll not have the judgment to think maybe I shouldn't bring guns to school or church. And they will have an easier time finding trouble with them at school. I mean if you are bringing them to church then wouldn't you think bringing them to school is MORE of a need? And if you are a juvenile you won't really be able to hold back on thinking there's bullies at school, so...I won't let them bully me...

djinwa
captain of 100

Post by djinwa »

Ezra wrote: November 5th, 2017, 5:58 pm Yes I have. I have a friend who was asked by his bishop to stop carrying. And was told that was the policy of the church.
If it is concealed carry, how would the bishop know?

I carried concealed at work for years and nobody knew.

I have also carried into school games. Figure we need to have more good guys with guns.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

The Lord is quite capable of stopping anyone intend on murder from entering a Church building. Has any Church building or facility ever been successfully attacked ?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

mirkwood wrote: November 5th, 2017, 8:28 pm
It is in the Handbook. Not sure if 1 or 2. I have read it.
Which version of the Holy Handbood?

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Nauvoo for one.
Massacre at Haun’s Mill ...
lundbaek wrote: November 5th, 2017, 11:04 pm The Lord is quite capable of stopping anyone intend on murder from entering a Church building. Has any Church building or facility ever been successfully attacked ?

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Handbook 2, 21.2.4

Firearms

Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Sometimes real heroes have tattoos and are willing to risk their lives to save others.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

inho wrote: November 6th, 2017, 3:13 am Handbook 2, 21.2.4

Firearms

Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world. The carrying of lethal weapons, concealed or otherwise, within their walls is inappropriate except as required by officers of the law.
Is that Chapter 2 verse 21 or...the Holy Handbook is so confusing sometimes.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

djinwa wrote: November 5th, 2017, 10:59 pm
Ezra wrote: November 5th, 2017, 5:58 pm Yes I have. I have a friend who was asked by his bishop to stop carrying. And was told that was the policy of the church.
If it is concealed carry, how would the bishop know?

I carried concealed at work for years and nobody knew.

I have also carried into school games. Figure we need to have more good guys with guns.
Everyone knows because he is not shy about the fact that he has a few guns on him at all times. Not in a bragging way. He’s ex military ex police. Outside of church he always has one on his hip you can see and another you can’t.

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

gardener4life wrote: November 5th, 2017, 10:53 pm It's a good idea to not bring them. If the kid sees his dad packing then he'll not have the judgment to think maybe I shouldn't bring guns to school or church. And they will have an easier time finding trouble with them at school. I mean if you are bringing them to church then wouldn't you think bringing them to school is MORE of a need? And if you are a juvenile you won't really be able to hold back on thinking there's bullies at school, so...I won't let them bully me...
So people who own guns are not smart enough to know when and how to use them? They are not smart enough to teach their children about what is appropriate? About morals?
Do you own a hammer? A car? Those kill way more people then guns. Probably shouldn’t bring your car to church. It’s not a good idea. If your kids see you driving a car to church they might think about taking it to school. Heaven forbid they drive that car over a bully.

Guns don’t kill people. People kill people. It doesn’t matter which tool they use to do it. Fists, knifes, bat, club, car, truck or gun they will use what’s available if that’s their intent and mindset. How many people have been mowed over by Muslim extremist latly both in the USA and in other countries? Your kids see that on the news aren’t you afraid of them getting any ideas from that???
I would guess no your not. Why because I’m also guessing you have taught morals.

Guns which are just tools. Tools in the right hands are always a good thing. Are you not ok with cops having guns? It’s their tools of the trade. If you are ok with them why would you not be ok with someone else is a really good honest temple worthy responsible trained individual who has chosen to want to protect you from harm to have them???

Have you been trained in how to properly use a gun? Have you trained your children?

If you have then you would have no fears of them being used incorrectly just like with a car. Your kids wouldn’t go driving over every bully they see.

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

lundbaek wrote: November 5th, 2017, 11:04 pm The Lord is quite capable of stopping anyone intend on murder from entering a Church building. Has any Church building or facility ever been successfully attacked ?
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/700 ... illed.html

The bishop was straight-up shot and killed. The gunman was also shot and killed when he tried to run away from the police.