Conceal carry in church

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Serragon
captain of 1,000

Re: Conceal carry in church

Post by Serragon »

Arenera wrote: November 16th, 2017, 1:08 pm The stripling warriors didn't die, because of their faith, not their weapons.
This is correct and establishes my point. They were saved by their faith even though they were using the tools that you are saying shows a lack of faith.

If they were showing a lack of faith by using weapons in a warlike manner, then how did they have faith enough to all be saved so miraculously? Your point seems to be entirely contradicted by this story. You can in fact have near perfect faith while arming yourselves with weapons of war.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

Robin Hood wrote: November 16th, 2017, 2:09 pm
EmmaLee wrote: November 16th, 2017, 12:03 pm
Robin Hood wrote: November 15th, 2017, 4:45 pm
lundbaek wrote: November 15th, 2017, 11:10 am Does anybody know what kind of weapons Church security people carry ?
None, in the UK.
If by "Church security people" you mean the prophet's bodyguards, then I guarantee you they carry firearms everywhere the prophet goes. If Pres. Monson was in the UK right now, he would have several armed men around him. What a shame the prophet of God doesn't trust God to protect him, huh, RH? :(
I can absolutely guarantee that President Monson's security detail while he was in the UK would NOT be armed. No way. It would not be permitted under any circumstances.
If Pres. Monsons security detail is armed in countries where carrying those arms are legal, does that not show lack of faith on his part? If the only reason he is not armed in UK is because of the laws prohibiting it, does that not still show the same lack of faith? I see no reason to think they would not be armed in the UK if allowed as they are armed elsewhere.

It is clear that both you and Arenera are clinging to a proposition that is not supported in any way. The basic premise that a tool can become an idol is a good one, but that is about as far as it goes. Your extrapolation to a larger principle is erroneous.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Serragon wrote: November 16th, 2017, 2:34 pm

None, in the UK.
If by "Church security people" you mean the prophet's bodyguards, then I guarantee you they carry firearms everywhere the prophet goes. If Pres. Monson was in the UK right now, he would have several armed men around him. What a shame the prophet of God doesn't trust God to protect him, huh, RH? :(
I can absolutely guarantee that President Monson's security detail while he was in the UK would NOT be armed. No way. It would not be permitted under any circumstances.
If Pres. Monsons security detail is armed in countries where carrying those arms are legal, does that not show lack of faith on his part? If the only reason he is not armed in UK is because of the laws prohibiting it, does that not still show the same lack of faith? I see no reason to think they would not be armed in the UK if allowed as they are armed elsewhere.

It is clear that both you and Arenera are clinging to a proposition that is not supported in any way. The basic premise that a tool can become an idol is a good one, but that is about as far as it goes. Your extrapolation to a larger principle is erroneous.
Well, I'm just agreeing with President Kimball.
If you don't agree with him that's your business.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

None, in the UK.

The Jaredites and the Nephites are dead. Their weapons, or tools as you like to call them, did not save them.

If you think your weapons will get you through the tribulations, you are mistaken. Read President Nelson's talk.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Robin Hood wrote: November 16th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Well, I'm just agreeing with President Kimball.
If you don't agree with him that's your business.
RH, as one who frequently uses that "We are a warlike people" message by President Kimball, I think you are misapplying the principles he taught therein. Pres. Kimball was warning against the US (and perhaps other countries) which rush instantly to war as well as against the support for that aspect of unrighteous dominion which most Latter Day Saints usually give when war begins. It is not proper to extrapolate his words into an anti-gun sentiment.

Clearly God has given us the right to defend ourselves, even unto bloodshed. If my grandmothers (RIP) were approached by a big bully intent on doing them harm, and against whom they could not compete physically, if they were to use a Smith & Wesson on the scalliwag their standing before God would not change. Well, perhaps He would have even more mercy on them for having lived through such a horrifying experience. I hope you, RH, and whoever else is arguing against guns can understand this.

Now what if it is my dad, a high priest? He is now 86 and nearly as weak as my grandmothers before their passing. Should he simply raise his arm to the square and cast the bully out of his house? I hope he doesn't try that. I hope instead he uses the tools that God has blessed him with, and I hope that my dad exercises his right to defend himself which is enshrined in the 2nd Amendment of a God-inspired document. Dad has never shot anyone even though he lives near a town in Texas called Cut and Shoot. If he needs to defend himself from a troglodyte who would do him harm, I hope my dad comes off winner and the other guy gets a one-way trip to Spirit Prison.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Robin Hood wrote: November 16th, 2017, 2:09 pm I can absolutely guarantee that President Monson's security detail while he was in the UK would NOT be armed. No way. It would not be permitted under any circumstances.
Yep, at least his American security detail. What other arrangements with UK forces would be made I would not know.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

I suppose next that some of you will stop locking your doors at night. You must exercise faith that nobody will steal your stuff.

Joseph Smith even taught that it was sometimes necessary for men to take up arms because of their religious obligation to defend their families:

It may be that the Saints will have to beat their ploughs into swords, for it will not do for men to sit down patiently and see their children destroyed. (HC 6:365.)

There is one principle which is eternal; it is the duty of all men to protect their lives and the lives of the household, whenever necessity requires, and no power has a right to forbid it, should the last extreme arrive, but I anticipate no such extreme, but caution is the parent of safety. (HC 6:605.)

Peace be still, bury the hatchet and the sword, the sound of war is dreadful in my ear. [But] any man who will not fight for his wife and children is a coward and a b******d. (An American Prophet’s Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith, p. 298.)
Last edited by mirkwood on November 16th, 2017, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Arenera wrote: November 16th, 2017, 2:47 pm The Jaredites and the Nephites are dead. Their weapons, or tools as you like to call them, did not save them.
I'm not interested really in this discussion, but this statement is silly. The Jaredites and the Nephites are dead because they are mortal. Even if they would have never used weapons at this point they would still be dead. So, not having weapons didn't save them either! :D :D

-Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

I don't have problems with guns and own a couple myself. But, I agree with the idea that God is more powerful than any weapon. I think our faith is better place in God as opposed to a weapon of some sort. In the end, a weapon of any kind doesn't hold a candle to a man or a woman with the faith to move mountains or to walk on water. The problem is who has such faith today? Who really even believes that such things are possible?

-Finrock

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Finrock wrote: November 16th, 2017, 3:46 pm I don't have problems with guns and own a couple myself. But, I agree with the idea that God is more powerful than any weapon. I think our faith is better place in God as opposed to a weapon of some sort. In the end, a weapon of any kind doesn't hold a candle to a man or a woman with the faith to move mountains or to walk on water. The problem is who has such faith today? Who really even believes that such things are possible?

-Finrock
We pray daily, through faith, that God will protect us and allow us to gather home again. And God always does. At least so far. "And should we die, before our journey's through, happy day, all is well."

By the way, if you know how many guns you have, you simply don't own enough of them.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Arenera wrote: November 16th, 2017, 12:18 pm
lundbaek wrote: November 15th, 2017, 11:10 am Does anybody know what kind of weapons Church security people carry ?
None, in the UK.
There is another way...! :)

16 But behold, the power of God was with him, and they could not take him to cast him into prison, for he was taken by the Spirit and conveyed away out of the midst of them.

17 And it came to pass that thus he did go forth in the Spirit, from multitude to multitude, declaring the word of God, even until he had declared it unto them all, or sent it forth among all the people.

"Alma 43

47 And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed."

Is this the same Lord? Or a different one? How many Lords are there?

If you have fled into the wilderness, does this apply, or do you tear it out of your Book of Mormon, and throw it away?

dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

None, in the UK.
I think it was already pointed out that you don't know anything about policing, which includes security of any visiting VIP. This cinches it.
It wouldn't be permitted by who? You? It seems to me that things like that are just a tad beyond your area of authority, nothing personal, you know.
dc

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

You know what, this thread has turned silly. Governments kill far more people than armed citizens by many multiples. In fact, concealed carry weapon owners have lower crime rates than law enforcement officers (no offense, Mirkwood).

Therefore, if those who oppose gun ownership want to improve life on planet Earth, then let them go after their respective countries for dropping bombs on innocent people. The US, Canada, the UK and Australia are all guilty of war crimes of most recent vintage. Go ahead and grab that low-hanging fruit and leave me and my guns alone. You don't mess with me and I won't ever mess with you.

As a Latter Day Saint who has studied about the tar and feathering of Joseph Smith (and Sidney Rigdon had his brains scrambled that same night), Hauns Mill, the Missouri War in general but especially the tragedies that occurred after the Saints disarmed, the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum, Johnston's Army invasion, etc., I will never agree with those who would deprive me of a God-given right to defend my family and myself. Cold dead fingers, y'all, but they won't be my fingers.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Silver wrote: November 16th, 2017, 3:52 pm
Finrock wrote: November 16th, 2017, 3:46 pm I don't have problems with guns and own a couple myself. But, I agree with the idea that God is more powerful than any weapon. I think our faith is better place in God as opposed to a weapon of some sort. In the end, a weapon of any kind doesn't hold a candle to a man or a woman with the faith to move mountains or to walk on water. The problem is who has such faith today? Who really even believes that such things are possible?

-Finrock
We pray daily, through faith, that God will protect us and allow us to gather home again. And God always does. At least so far. "And should we die, before our journey's through, happy day, all is well."

By the way, if you know how many guns you have, you simply don't own enough of them.

God does protect us. But God also requires that we do the footwork. God doesn't cook the breakfast for us. We have to do that. And defending our families even unto bloodshed is our part of God's protection for us. It is written.
dc

Benjamin_LK
captain of 1,000

Post by Benjamin_LK »

Silver wrote: November 16th, 2017, 4:08 pm You know what, this thread has turned silly. Governments kill far more people than armed citizens by many multiples. In fact, concealed carry weapon owners have lower crime rates than law enforcement officers (no offense, Mirkwood).

Therefore, if those who oppose gun ownership want to improve life on planet Earth, then let them go after their respective countries for dropping bombs on innocent people. The US, Canada, the UK and Australia are all guilty of war crimes of most recent vintage. Go ahead and grab that low-hanging fruit and leave me and my guns alone. You don't mess with me and I won't ever mess with you.

As a Latter Day Saint who has studied about the tar and feathering of Joseph Smith (and Sidney Rigdon had his brains scrambled that same night), Hauns Mill, the Missouri War in general but especially the tragedies that occurred after the Saints disarmed, the martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum, Johnston's Army invasion, etc., I will never agree with those who would deprive me of a God-given right to defend my family and myself. Cold dead fingers, y'all, but they won't be my fingers.
The recent California gun massacre this week involved a person on bail for attempting to murder his neighbor. Only to go out and murder more people. The tinfoil hat temptation to me is maybe the government lets violent criminals out on purpose. In any sane world the Texas killer and the California killer would be in prison instead of killing people.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Finrock wrote: November 16th, 2017, 3:42 pm
Arenera wrote: November 16th, 2017, 2:47 pm The Jaredites and the Nephites are dead. Their weapons, or tools as you like to call them, did not save them.
I'm not interested really in this discussion, but this statement is silly. The Jaredites and the Nephites are dead because they are mortal. Even if they would have never used weapons at this point they would still be dead. So, not having weapons didn't save them either! :D :D

-Finrock
Maybe you didn’t pay attention to how Nephi felt about the destruction of his entire posterity.

We are talking about the entire destruction of 2 civilizations. Is that silly Finrock?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Arenera wrote: November 16th, 2017, 5:14 pm

-Finrock
Maybe you didn’t pay attention to how Nephi felt about the destruction of his entire posterity.

We are talking about the entire destruction of 2 civilizations. Is that silly Finrock?
You know what you lack? You lack a word that appears three times in your signature. I'll give you a hint. It starts with a great, big ol' "W" and it ends with a "isdom."

Brother Browning, Mormon, sure had a nice gun manufacturing facility in Nauvoo, with the prophet's approval. This discussion, Arenera, you lose. Give it up. Or don't and continue to expose your lack of wisdom.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

David13 wrote: November 16th, 2017, 4:09 pm
Silver wrote: November 16th, 2017, 3:52 pm

-Finrock

God does protect us. But God also requires that we do the footwork. God doesn't cook the breakfast for us. We have to do that. And defending our families even unto bloodshed is our part of God's protection for us. It is written.
dc
Not only does God not cook breakfast for us, He expects a good housewife to use that very frying pan she cooked the bacon and eggs in if she is ever a victim of a break-in and can't get to the gun in time. One solid whack to disorient the robber and then go for the Glock. Blessed Glock, we sing thy high-capacity magazine praises.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Silver wrote: November 16th, 2017, 5:20 pm

-Finrock

You know what you lack? You lack a word that appears three times in your signature. I'll give you a hint. It starts with a great, big ol' "W" and it ends with a "isdom."

Brother Browning, Mormon, sure had a nice gun manufacturing facility in Nauvoo, with the prophet's approval. This discussion, Arenera, you lose. Give it up. Or don't and continue to expose your lack of wisdom.
Tell me, did the Nauvoo Mormons grab their guns, their Browning guns, and tear into the mob that killed the prophet?

Who is lacking wisdom...

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Does the Book of Mormon teach that we are authorized to defend ourselves unto bloodshed, if necessary?

Yes, it does.

Those who argue otherwise remind me of the evangelical Christians who shout that they are saved by grace while studiously ignoring James' inspired teaching that "Faith without works is dead."

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Arenera wrote: November 16th, 2017, 5:35 pm

-Finrock

Tell me, did the Nauvoo Mormons grab their guns, their Browning guns, and tear into the mob that killed the prophet?

Who is lacking wisdom...
Tell me, did Joseph Smith, immediately preceding his death, fire all rounds of the revolver he had on his person in Carthage jail at the mob charging up the steps?

You lose.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Silver wrote: November 16th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Who is lacking wisdom...
Tell me, did Joseph Smith, immediately preceding his death, fire all rounds of the revolver he had on his person in Carthage jail at the mob charging up the steps?

You lose.
Sadly, that revolver didn’t help.

You need some vis, you are just enamored with your guns, your ion. Let me help...
13 And so great was the faith of Enoch that he led the people of God, and their enemies came to battle against them; and he spake the word of the Lord, and the earth trembled, and the mountains fled, even according to his command; and the rivers of water were turned out of their course; and the roar of the lions was heard out of the wilderness; and all nations feared greatly, so powerful was the word of Enoch, and so great was the power of the language which God had given him.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Arenera wrote: November 16th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Who is lacking wisdom...

You lose.

You need some vis, you are just enamored with your guns, your ion. Let me help...
13 And so great was the faith of Enoch that he led the people of God, and their enemies came to battle against them; and he spake the word of the Lord, and the earth trembled, and the mountains fled, even according to his command; and the rivers of water were turned out of their course; and the roar of the lions was heard out of the wilderness; and all nations feared greatly, so powerful was the word of Enoch, and so great was the power of the language which God had given him.
Nobody is denying that there are times when the priesthood was the answer or will be the answer in the future as God wills it. We'd have to ignore scripture to do that. The point you're missing is that there is a time and season for weapons whether they make loud PowPow sounds or they are as silent as a ninja's shuriken.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Silver wrote: November 16th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Who is lacking wisdom...

You lose.

Nobody is denying that there are times when the priesthood was the answer or will be the answer in the future as God wills it. We'd have to ignore scripture to do that. The point you're missing is that there is a time and season for weapons whether they make loud PowPow sounds or they are as silent as a ninja's shuriken.
You back tracken?????

Our church buildings are not places for your guns.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Arenera wrote: November 16th, 2017, 6:05 pm
Silver wrote: November 16th, 2017, 6:03 pm

You lose.

You back tracken?????

Our church buildings are not places for your guns.
You just mind your own business and you'll be just fine.