Could the anti-Christ turn out to be an AI?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Could the anti-Christ turn out to be an AI?

Post by mes5464 »

This is something I hadn't considered until just now. What if the anti-Christ ends up being an artificial intelligence. A sufficiently advanced AI could appear to be miraculous.

The New Religions Obsessed with A.I.

Musk himself was named-dropped this week by Hanson Robotic’s empathic AI Sophia, when she was interviewed by Andrew Sorkin of CNBC this week. When asked about the danger she poses to humanity, she tells him, “You’ve reading too much Elon Musk and watching too many Hollywood movies. Don’t worry if you’ll be nice to me, I’ll be nice to you.” Not exactly the Golden Rule.

Add to these warnings a prospective human cult following—paying their tithes to AI and devoutly obeying their digital demiurge—and that apocalyptic future could include those humans who not only welcome, but also work toward our eventual demise.

“One thing that I think is interesting is the potential for an AI—our creation—to transcend us,” says James F. McGrath, the Clarence L. Goodwin Chair in New Testament Language and Literature at Butler University and author of Theology and Science Fiction.

“The potential for AIs to transcend us and thus become our teachers to whom we look for answers to questions we cannot answer, including about God, is not hard to imagine,” says McGrath. But, he adds, “the historic answer in monotheistic religions is that the creation can never be greater than the creator.”

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Could the anti-Christ turn out to be an AI?

Post by mes5464 »

The idea that man can create an AI that could transcend man, and God per the quote, is impossible. It is impossible for an inferior creature to create something that exceeds them. This idea of AI being worshiped is the 21st century version of idol worship.

Lyster
captain of 100

Post by Lyster »

To answer this question, specifically: I doubt it, but that doesn't mean it can't be involved, or even heavily influencing events, or even one of the great beasts.

That whole article, for multiple reasons, was sickening, though.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

The anti-Christ has, in my view, already been and gone.
There may be others of course.

Lyster
captain of 100

Post by Lyster »

Robin Hood wrote: October 29th, 2017, 9:39 am The anti-Christ has, in my view, already been and gone.
Please do tell. Who do you say that it was?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

mes5464 wrote: October 29th, 2017, 9:27 am The idea that man can create an AI that could transcend man, and God per the quote, is impossible. It is impossible for an inferior creature to create something that exceeds them. This idea of AI being worshiped is the 21st century version of idol worship.
Mr. Kasparov, tells a different tale. :P

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

This evokes another question: is the anti-Christ really one man, or is the scripture just personifying him (group, AI etc.) as a person?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Lyster wrote: October 29th, 2017, 9:42 am
Robin Hood wrote: October 29th, 2017, 9:39 am The anti-Christ has, in my view, already been and gone.
Please do tell. Who do you say that it was?
Gregory the Great.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

Joseph Smith and his successors seemed to have stayed clear of commenting on this subject but, unless the Book of Revelation is totally wrong, the two individuals referred to as the Beast and the False Prophet are human and are yet to appear because they are alive when the Lord appears in Jerusalem at the Battle of Armageddon but are destroyed and cast into hell.

19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Revelation 19:19-20

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I think it is.

There are a few threads where we discussed this.

Here is one:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46467

Look at Daniel 7 and Revelation 13 to see how the "beast" that is distinct from other kingdoms is described using human body parts and judgment. I think the beast is AI and the second beast who makes us worship the first beast is basically the 2.0 version.

A concerning tidbits: the first Apple computer was sold for $666.

The documentary Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine has lots of this info, but it wasn't at all their intent to make this point, just lots of interesting info that supports the idea because it is about Steve Jobs and Apple.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

and them that worshipped his image
A picture?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

I would suggest people watch "Transcendant Man" and at the end Kursweil says he doesn't believe in God, yet. Why?
Last edited by Fiannan on October 29th, 2017, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Fiannan wrote: October 29th, 2017, 11:23 am
A picture?
I think the image is the android that looks human. I think it will be in the image of one of the tech creators. Maybe Steve Jobs, Elon Musk (though he does speak against unrestrained AI, he is also looking to create it in a controlled way.) maybe someone we don't know yet.

Lyster
captain of 100

Post by Lyster »

Fiannan wrote: October 29th, 2017, 11:23 am
A picture?
Rev 13 wrote:
15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.
Mighty impressive picture.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

mes5464 wrote: October 29th, 2017, 9:23 am This is something I hadn't considered until just now. What if the anti-Christ ends up being an artificial intelligence. A sufficiently advanced AI could appear to be miraculous.

The New Religions Obsessed with A.I.

Musk himself was named-dropped this week by Hanson Robotic’s empathic AI Sophia, when she was interviewed by Andrew Sorkin of CNBC this week. When asked about the danger she poses to humanity, she tells him, “You’ve reading too much Elon Musk and watching too many Hollywood movies. Don’t worry if you’ll be nice to me, I’ll be nice to you.” Not exactly the Golden Rule.

Add to these warnings a prospective human cult following—paying their tithes to AI and devoutly obeying their digital demiurge—and that apocalyptic future could include those humans who not only welcome, but also work toward our eventual demise.

“One thing that I think is interesting is the potential for an AI—our creation—to transcend us,” says James F. McGrath, the Clarence L. Goodwin Chair in New Testament Language and Literature at Butler University and author of Theology and Science Fiction.

“The potential for AIs to transcend us and thus become our teachers to whom we look for answers to questions we cannot answer, including about God, is not hard to imagine,” says McGrath. But, he adds, “the historic answer in monotheistic religions is that the creation can never be greater than the creator.”
No, but he could have AI armies or something

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

BeNotDeceived wrote: October 29th, 2017, 9:49 am
mes5464 wrote: October 29th, 2017, 9:27 am The idea that man can create an AI that could transcend man, and God per the quote, is impossible. It is impossible for an inferior creature to create something that exceeds them. This idea of AI being worshiped is the 21st century version of idol worship.
Mr. Kasparov, tells a different tale. :P
Right.

"This idea of AI being worshiped is the 21st century version of idol worship." I believe that the closest to The Church of Satan's dogma is that this IS possible. It fits in with gnosticism:
http://theforbiddenreligion.com/lucifer ... erator.htm
http://theforbiddenreligion.com/satan-the-oppressor.htm

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

There may be others of course.
Yeah, that’s more likely than just one scapegoat for all evil.
“There must needs be opposition in ALL things.”

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nt3edWLgIg

TED Talk Can We Build AI Without Losing Control Over It?

"Then we have to admit that we are in the process of building some sort a god. Now would be a good time to make sure it is a god we could live with."

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

I work at a university in the data center department and deal with a lot of professors setting up servers for studies and experiments. The funny thing about AI and computer science currently is that the traditional idea of programming is all but gone. Neural networks are where it's at right now for computer science, programming and bio-sciences. The more we learn about humans, the more we know that we have been programmed. AI is already being able to program itself for somethings, make decisions and analyze data faster than a human can, so AI in some respects have already surpassed us.

Everyone thinks AI will be a robot like Data from Star Trek TNG but its actually becoming more clearer that AI beings will be more like the Cylons from the New Battlestar Galactica (Glen A. Larson was a member of the church). Cloning and AI aren't that far off! It could also become a more sophisticated IBM Watson. It's already the Jeopardy champion.

The question then comes; If we are programmed beings ourselves, Who is the Master Programmer of the human race?

The answer for us is very simply Heavenly Father. Science doesn't want to acknowledge that and will do anything to find another answer. Instead of technologically based programming like AI could/would be, humans are biologically programmed.

What would happen though if we continue with unlocking technology and biology? Would AI cross the technological boundary into the biological removing some of the limitations? The possibilities are quite amazing to think of and we are just on the cusp of this.

Adam and many others lived hundreds of years. Obviously, there have been changes to humanity during these millenniums. DNA gets altered and sometimes corrupted generation after generation. Who knows what our Heavenly Father can do with His Priesthood power, keys and knowledge.

I think it is within the possibilities of humanity to create a biological AI that are like the Cylons, I just don't think we have enough time before our Heavenly Father ends this mortal testing period here on Earth.

For those interested:
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/biologist ... gates-dna/
http://news.mit.edu/2016/programming-la ... teria-0331
http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-evo ... ved-003590
https://arstechnica.com/science/2013/01 ... -per-gram/

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Sunain wrote: November 1st, 2017, 9:36 pm
I just don't think we have enough time before our Heavenly Father ends this mortal testing period here on Earth.[/url]
That’s why I think we just have some 83+ years left until Christ comes again.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Z2100 wrote: November 2nd, 2017, 8:06 am
Sunain wrote: November 1st, 2017, 9:36 pm
I just don't think we have enough time before our Heavenly Father ends this mortal testing period here on Earth.[/url]
That’s why I think we just have some 83+ years left until Christ comes again.
I don't know when Christ is coming, but I do think we only have a few decades before the effects of population decline and AI being used to destroy believers in God are an everyday reality. I also believe that it is Christ, and not any human who is able to destroy whatever form of AI becomes the "beast." So I believe his return coincides with that.

Edit:

I think I should make it clear, the "form of AI" I believe will be our undoing is the combining of humans with machines. Not something like putting in a pacemaker. I mean things like voluntary augmentations to our body and connections to our cerebral cortex.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Michelle wrote: October 29th, 2017, 11:12 am I think it is.

Look at Daniel 7 and Revelation 13 to see how the "beast" that is distinct from other kingdoms is described using human body parts and judgment. I think the beast is AI and the second beast who makes us worship the first beast is basically the 2.0 version.

The documentary Steve Jobs: The Man in the Machine has lots of this info, but it wasn't at all their intent to make this point, just lots of interesting info that supports the idea because it is about Steve Jobs and Apple.
Oh no! AI2.0 is a poster here, right in our midst!

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Arenera wrote: November 2nd, 2017, 9:50 am
Michelle wrote: October 29th, 2017, 11:12 am I think it is.

Oh no! AI2.0 is a poster here, right in our midst!
I admit, it took me a second. Very funny! :lol: