Does a Church Have Obligations to Its Converts?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
silk
captain of 50

Re: Does a Church Have Obligations to Its Converts?

Post by silk »

brianj wrote: November 4th, 2017, 9:34 am I got spiritually punched in the face over this very subject this morning, reading Alma 15. In verse 16 we are told that Amulek lost everything because he converted and aligned himself with Alma. He lost his home (though not explicitly stated), his precious things, his wealth, his family, and his friends. Though not explicitly stated, if he had a wife and children he either lost them because they turned away from him or he lost them to the bonfire.

So what did Alma do? Verse 18: he "took him to his own house, and did administer unto him in his tribulations, and strengthened him in the Lord."

If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

If a brother or sister be disowned, kicked out of their home, lose all their friends, maybe lose their job, And you say unto them, Depart in peace, have faith and things will work out; notwithstanding you give them not those things which are needful to their spirit, what doth it profit?
This is incredibly powerful. When I was a child we lived in a place with few church members. Many members of the ward were converts, and some of those were singles without strong family groups. In hindsight, I can also see that many of them came from dysfunctional, even abusive families, so they were almost skittish in accepting outside association. But over the years, my parents welcomed many of these people into our home, gave them rides, and shared their holidays. They reached out to provide strength and a gospel family to those who didn't have it.

I feel pricked in my heart with a desire to do better. We have extended an invitation to a single dad for Thanksgiving (for him and his children), and hope to reach out to more. Thanks for your words.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Does a Church Have Obligations to Its Converts?

Post by brianj »

silk wrote: November 7th, 2017, 12:04 pm
brianj wrote: November 4th, 2017, 9:34 am I got spiritually punched in the face over this very subject this morning, reading Alma 15. In verse 16 we are told that Amulek lost everything because he converted and aligned himself with Alma. He lost his home (though not explicitly stated), his precious things, his wealth, his family, and his friends. Though not explicitly stated, if he had a wife and children he either lost them because they turned away from him or he lost them to the bonfire.

So what did Alma do? Verse 18: he "took him to his own house, and did administer unto him in his tribulations, and strengthened him in the Lord."

If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

If a brother or sister be disowned, kicked out of their home, lose all their friends, maybe lose their job, And you say unto them, Depart in peace, have faith and things will work out; notwithstanding you give them not those things which are needful to their spirit, what doth it profit?
This is incredibly powerful. When I was a child we lived in a place with few church members. Many members of the ward were converts, and some of those were singles without strong family groups. In hindsight, I can also see that many of them came from dysfunctional, even abusive families, so they were almost skittish in accepting outside association. But over the years, my parents welcomed many of these people into our home, gave them rides, and shared their holidays. They reached out to provide strength and a gospel family to those who didn't have it.

I feel pricked in my heart with a desire to do better. We have extended an invitation to a single dad for Thanksgiving (for him and his children), and hope to reach out to more. Thanks for your words.
I wish I could take credit, but I honestly don't believe those were my words.

My mother usually comes to visit for Thanksgiving. Because of what was happening in my life, I asked her to not come last year. My elders quorum president told me that he was asking people to have me over for Thanksgiving, but nobody would. Being all alone for Thanksgiving and Christmas was incredibly difficult. I'm not in a position where I can have guests over right now, but starting next year I hope that I can invite people who don't have anyplace else to go every Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas for the rest of my life.