What do we know about a resurrected body?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Jamescm
captain of 100

What do we know about a resurrected body?

Post by Jamescm »

When we are risen in the resurrection, what all does that really result in? We know from scripture, that I know of, that:
-We will never die/be separated from our bodies again. Save possibly sons of perdition, but that's straying out there.
--I would suppose that we also can not become infiltrated by foreign organisms, suffer structural damage, and that our body's systems will not otherwise malfunction. What is this like? Everything in the world as we know it is subject to stress; is a resurrected being not subject to physical stress? Will a twenty ton granite slab not so much as bend or break a nail?

-We can orally consume, at the least, fish. Honeycomb, too, if you like arguing with scholars.
--But what of the matter involved afterward? Is it purged as we're familiar with? Is it converted to energy? Indeed, does a resurrected body require energy to operate the same way that physical systems in mortality require energy to do "work"? If so, then in the absence of food, can a resurrected being draw energy from another source? And why eat? Tying to the idea that a body is necessary for a "fulness of joy", Is it entirely to satisfy taste buds? Will it impact how our body feels?

-They possess flesh and bones, rather than flesh and blood.
--What does this mean at all? Mortal bodies also have bones; are they more significant or noteworthy in a resurrected body? What does it mean to be quickened by spirit rather than blood? Mortal bodies are also animated, ultimately, by spirit.

As another question, does a resurrected body take anything to maintain? I've learned a great deal of spiritual lessons and drawn parallels between the care, knowledge, experience, and lifestyle adjustments that being physically healthy require to the diligence, knowledge, experience, and lifestyle adjustments that being spiritually healthy require. We will continue progressing spiritually after the resurrection, is there still any sort of "physical" progress to be had? We may not decay or die again, but will we require some form of effort or "exercise" if you will to make it what we want? Or are we going to consumes tens of thousands of calories of indulgent sugary sins every day and be precisely the height and body fat percentage that suits our fancy?

Our physical bodies are said to be in the image of our spiritual bodies. If we can will resurrected bodies to simply be however we want, do we lose this sense individual appearance? What meaning would that have if we all come out different shapes and heights, with different colors and different fine features?

If we extend our arms, will they still exert "force" physically? Or will it merely express our will to move something? If we lift a boulder, will it sit right where it is because F=MA? Will it rise because of the force we can exert on it? Or will it rise because we're celestial beings, and by attempting to lift it, we are "telling" it to move, so it obeys? Or is it some Jedi combination, where our bodies have physical parameters that we can "augment" with the For-I mean, Priesthood/spirit/faith?

Can two resurrected beings meaningfully have conflict? If two such people arm wrestle, will it come out as an unending draw every time? Will the one who continues to train his body win every time? Will the one with more quickening spirit due to his spiritual diligence in adopting and internalizing Christlike attributes, based on some numerically comparable total judgment without regard to spiritual strengths or weaknesses compared with the opponent, win every time?

Or is none of this relevant to a Celestial life? Sure, the resurrected Christ walked with His disciples, but is that only because they, still being mortal, walked? Does Christ actually "walk" at all when about His actual current works, being able to move wheresoever He pleases in literally no time?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: What do we know about a resurrected body?

Post by brianj »

Good questions. Unfortunately I am not aware of any definitive answers.

I assume that resurrected bodies can't be infected or injured, and that 'quickened by spirit' means that blood is unnecessary and therefore not present.

In the end all I can say is that I really hope that becoming a Celestial being means I can create my own light saber. Because I think that would be cool.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Jamescm wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 9:22 pm -They possess flesh and bones, rather than flesh and blood.
--What does this mean at all? Mortal bodies also have bones; are they more significant or noteworthy in a resurrected body? What does it mean to be quickened by spirit rather than blood? Mortal bodies are also animated, ultimately, by spirit.
I am always a bit troubled that we take the "flesh and bones instead of flesh and blood" as a doctrinal fact. I know that it is in our manuals and prophets and apostles have talked about it. However, its origin is somewhat spurious. There is no clear scriptural or revelatory base for it. It seems to be based on Joseph Smith's interpretation of 1.Cor 15:50. Joseph never claimed any revelation on this issue. Instead, his interpretation was typical for his time and was not unique to Mormonism. For those interested in this issue, here is a link to a blog post about it: Resurrection and What’s *that* in Your Veins?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

inho wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 2:34 am
Jamescm wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 9:22 pm -They possess flesh and bones, rather than flesh and blood.
I am always a bit troubled that we take the "flesh and bones instead of flesh and blood" as a doctrinal fact. I know that it is in our manuals and prophets and apostles have talked about it. However, its origin is somewhat spurious. There is no clear scriptural or revelatory base for it. It seems to be based on Joseph Smith's interpretation of 1.Cor 15:50. Joseph never claimed any revelation on this issue. Instead, his interpretation was typical for his time and was not unique to Mormonism. For those interested in this issue, here is a link to a blog post about it: Resurrection and What’s *that* in Your Veins?
We also know that Jesus invited people to check out his wounds when he appeared to disciples in Jerusalem and Bountiful. We don't have reports of bleeding out of an obviously open wound (thrust fingers into His side?) therefore it stands to reason that there is no blood in resurrected beings.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

brianj wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 9:33 pm
inho wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 2:34 am
We also know that Jesus invited people to check out his wounds when he appeared to disciples in Jerusalem and Bountiful. We don't have reports of bleeding out of an obviously open wound (thrust fingers into His side?) therefore it stands to reason that there is no blood in resurrected beings.
Interesting idea. I have never imagined the wounds to be open. I have always thought that there were scars, or even scabs which would imply the presence of something akin blood.