Moral Basis of a Free Society ?5

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Moral Basis of a Free Society ?5

Post by lundbaek »

Do you favor a return to the gold and silver standard of the Constitution?

Yes. But in speed reading the Constitution 2x I could not find a requirement that only gold and silver may be used for money. I only read that it is the responsiibility of Congress to coin money. Maybe somebody can enlighten me.

Although gold and silver cannot be counterfeited yet, the quantity of both can be and is increased by new finds and also by dumping large quantities on the market. So I am a little uncomfortable even with gold and silver as a monitary standard.

My stronges reason for favouring a return to gold and silver as a monitary standard is to frustrate the efforts of those LDGs who continue to dilute our present currency.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Well if Congress fulfilled their obligation of coining money, they would be held accountable to the people - printing more fiat money wouldn't happen, the people would have a better idea when and if inflation was coming, taking that away from a few private bankers. There would be a lot more transparency. Gold and Silver would be a step up, but I suppose it wouldn't matter so long as the people had control, and the money was backed by something tangible - and redeemable for such on demand.