Gay brother of Mormon apostle

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

Re: Gay brother of Mormon apostle

Post by drtanner »

Last edited by drtanner on October 17th, 2017, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAB
captain of 100

Post by RAB »

Robin Hood wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:36 am
JohnnyL wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:26 am
drtanner wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:03 am
JohnnyL wrote: October 17th, 2017, 9:42 am And if EFY is so great, why isn't it a church program?? If those stories can fit into and support something different and practical, okay, but I can't don't want to imagine putting my spiritual experiences into a paid whatever (book, fireside, movie, etc.). To me, those are religious works, and generally priestcraft.

(By the way, a lot of these "books cost money" arguments work really well also when you substitute "energy healing costs money".)
Do you consider teaching seminary or institute and getting paid priestcraft?
Yes, I pretty much do.
Seeing as all my seminary and institute teachers were volunteer, including my father, my brother, and me, maybe even more so.
I taught seminary and institute as a volunteer too.
I've never really understood why some get paid.
It was a struggle explaining that to my wife, who had only attended early morning seminary, when I thought I wanted to be a full time seminary teacher. After the seven day teaching experience, I quickly changed my mind. But they are paid because they do it full time. Instead of one class, they teach three or four a day for the release time students. There is no time for another profession to support their families. To me, Priestcraft has more to do with preaching what people want to hear in order to get gain, rather than having a full- time job and being compensated for it. There is a big difference between the modest salaries full-time seminary and institute teachers get, and those running their mega churches and living in mansions.

Daniel2
captain of 50

Post by Daniel2 »

RAB wrote: October 17th, 2017, 9:16 am
Daniel2 wrote: October 17th, 2017, 8:11 am
Robin Hood wrote: October 17th, 2017, 12:22 am
Daniel2 wrote: October 16th, 2017, 5:44 pm

Um... have you been to a Deseret Book or Seagull Book and Tape recently....?

Do you know how many LDS authors' for-profit books stocked on shelves there tell personal witnesses of sin to redemption?

Are you likewise disturbed by the hundreds of for-profit books written by prophets and apostles....?

If not... Mote, meet beam...
Absolutely I am!
In fact I said as much on a recent thread on this forum.
I never buy such books by the GA's because I believe it's a form of priestcraft.
I'm glad you're consistent...

I can understand the "Priestcraft" allegations against those that are allegedly God's mouthpieces (especially since they already collect a healthy $120,000 annual salary and additional benefits from the offerings of those they're called to serve).

Is it really that disturbing that non-professional-clergy authors write books about religious experiences, when they put in the time, energy, and effort to write a book (frankly, regardless of subject), and still hope for some type of compensation for the resources they spent in compiling a book? (I hardly believe Mr. Christofferson--or any other LDS author targeting largely LDS audiences--is making large sums of money from his book, and imagine it's more a labor of love for him... though I could be wrong. My mom's neighbor in Pleasant Grove is a published author and wrote a series of books about Joseph Smith, and although his books have done a decent job, he hasn't really 'gotten rich' off them). Or do you feel that non-professional religious authors should always expect not to be compensated for their time?

If that's the case, do you believe non-religious writers should likewise not expect compensation for their non-religious works?

D
Just wanted to clarify one point. From what I understand, the salary for GAs does not come from tithes and offerings. It comes from the for-profit Corporate entities...Deseret Book, Zion's Bank, etc. Many of these bretheren sit on the corporate boards of those entities, and their compensation is far less than other corporate board members of Corporations. So, it is essentially like Joseph Smith running the Little Red Brickstore, or the Mansion House as a means of support for his family. I just wanted to point that out because tithing, fast offerings, and other donations are not used as salary for the GAs...although, it wouldn't really bother me personally if it were. These men are at the Lord's work full time.

I would also point out that $120,000 is probably a lot less than they used to make, many of them having been attorneys, businessmen, and doctors. Not to brag, but I make a little more than that as a government employee. I have a smallish house (less than 2,000 sq. feet) and five kids, and there isn't much left after taxes, tithing, offerings, retirement savings, and living expenses for seven people. It seems like a pretty modest salary in the U.S., but I get that it would not translate well to Latin America or other countries.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

RAB wrote: October 17th, 2017, 11:32 am
Robin Hood wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:36 am
JohnnyL wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:26 am
drtanner wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:03 am Do you consider teaching seminary or institute and getting paid priestcraft?
Yes, I pretty much do.
Seeing as all my seminary and institute teachers were volunteer, including my father, my brother, and me, maybe even more so.
I taught seminary and institute as a volunteer too.
I've never really understood why some get paid.
It was a struggle explaining that to my wife, who had only attended early morning seminary, when I thought I wanted to be a full time seminary teacher. After the seven day teaching experience, I quickly changed my mind. But they are paid because they do it full time. Instead of one class, they teach three or four a day for the release time students. There is no time for another profession to support their families. To me, Priestcraft has more to do with preaching what people want to hear in order to get gain, rather than having a full- time job and being compensated for it. There is a big difference between the modest salaries full-time seminary and institute teachers get, and those running their mega churches and living in mansions.
I understand and agree with your thoughts on priestcraft.

So why don't the volunteers get 1/4 of that pay? Why don't they have four volunteers, service, couple missionary seminary teachers instead? The current way is not the only way to do it, and I don't think CES is the best way. And talk about teacher hiring instability... It's run like a cut-throat business--kind of like the MTC.

And the ones I know have lived quite well. An expensive home, lots of lessons for the many children, etc.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Perhaps someone should start a separate thread on whether selling church books or teaching seminary is priestcraft?